Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Asking for your opinion on this one:

I did get the letter from Tim Quinn and then I got a call from my dealer asking if Porsche called me and I said no.

Then my dealer confirmed once again and sent me the latest production report on my car. (Note my production stopped at v270 on 2/14) that my car will be completed on April 18th. However the letter from Tim Quinn says "....we will start production of the new engines the week of April 22nd"

My question is two fold:

1: Will my car be finished by April 18th and Porsche will install the defective engine and ship my car to my dealer for the dealer to change the engine?

or

2: Was Tim Quinn incorrect in the letter we are all getting and engine production has started before April 22nd?

Advice and thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Nope, just got the letter from Tim, and it does not make sense to me. Someone with undelivered car will get 5 years of warranty, and someone who already got the car and planned to rely on it is getting only 4.6 years of an effective warranty, in addition to higher depreciation and other costs!
As I understand the warranty it is not only for the engine but the entire car. Since those who took delivery have had coverage for a number of months they owned the car Porsche feels they are being fair.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
As I understand the warranty it is not only for the engine but the entire car. Since those who took delivery have had coverage for a number of months they owned the car Porsche feels they are being fair.
I still do not get it - those who did not yet take the deliver will get more warranty for the ENTIRE car just as well. Oh, well, it's not bad enough for me to give up the car but painful enough to start un-recommending Porsche. BMW did treat me better (10 years & unlimited mileage warranty on affected part, overnight shipment of replacement part, and loaner of higher value for the entire repair time, plus countless apologies almost daily via phone and email) with a much cheaper car.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked

I did get the letter from Tim Quinn and then I got a call from my dealer asking if Porsche called me and I said no.

Then my dealer confirmed once again and sent me the latest production report on my car. (Note my production stopped at v270 on 2/14) that my car will be completed on April 18th. However the letter from Tim Quinn says "....we will start production of the new engines the week of April 22nd"

My question is two fold:

1: Will my car be finished by April 18th and Porsche will install the defective engine and ship my car to my dealer for the dealer to change the engine?

or

2: Was Tim Quinn incorrect in the letter we are all getting and engine production has started before April 22nd?

I believe you know the priority order. All engines go first to the cars delivered and then to those already shipped and not delivered. I suspect your car will get its engine after the that.

I don't understand your #2 comment. When did Quinn say engines were being produced before April 22nd?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Eronbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct re Lemon Law. 30 days is the deal (and they need not be consecutive) I am a recovering attorney. LOL!

I just received the letter. Not very satisfying. Start building engines April 22. When will one arrive for my car?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

My question is two fold:

or

I doubt anyone here knows exactly what will happen with your car but here is my $.02:

1. If your car was stopped in mid-production my guess would be that your engine will be installed at the factory.

2. Unofficial indications are that cars already delivered will get priority on the new engines, followed by undelivered cars at port and at dealers, followed by cars in production or yet to be produced. If that's true, if new engine production really hasn't started yet, and won't until after the 22nd, my belief is that...

3. Your car is unlikely to be completed by April 18th, regardless of what your dealer or the computer says.

Just a bunch of assumptions on my part. Maybe Porsche will crank out a lot of engines in a hurry in which case hopefully your car won't be delayed for very long past the 18th.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^ Yup, just got my copy as well. It's the exact letter Mark (mqandil) told us about earlier. Hopefully the compensation mentioned in the letter will help mitigate the difference between those who have already had their warranty clock start, and those who haven't.
Mike please don't quote me on this yet but I have heard they are seriously considering resetting warranty clock to the date we get our cars back. Decision will be made this week on this to clarify the issue and hopefully make it fair for all, and compensation will be then limited to lost time. Again it is too early to tell if they go this way but it is certainly being discussed an debated behind closed doors.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Mike please don't quote me on this yet but I have heard they are seriously considering resetting warranty clock to the date we get our cars back. Decision will be made this week on this to clarify the issue and hopefully make it fair for all, and compensation will be then limited to lost time. Again it is too early to tell if they go this way but it is certainly being discussed an debated behind closed doors.
Mark,that would be a no brainer for Porsche to do IMO.

Good luck to you all!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks Mark, and consider yourself not quoted.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Claudef2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to verify that with an attorney who specializes in Lemon Law. As I understand the law, after 30 days it is presumed a lemon and you are entitled to all cost back including purchase price. However, the presumption is a rebuttable one which means the manufacturer can go before an arbitrator and claim he has not had a chance to fix the car. The arbitrator can rule either way.

Whether Porsche would opt to do this is uncertain. I suspect they would just ale the car back.
Just spoke to my dealer, he is prepared to take the car back anytime, no questions asked.

So now that this option is clearly on the table, I need a date when the engine will be replaced.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 619 Posts

That would be enough to bring me back under the "satisfied customer" banners, along with repaired car and compensation for loss of use, inconvenience & depreciation. I still would like to donate a lecture on crisis management & communication to Porsche brand/PR teams.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

http://bloom.bg/1qsPJa4

FF TO 5:25.
Listen to the Fiat CEO mentioning speed and communications being very important when it comes to recalls..
Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Whether Porsche would opt to do this is uncertain. I suspect they would just ale the car back.
Nick, if you have seen my post yesterday, I did confirm that Porsche will take the car back, and that was confirmed to me during a call with PCNA. They will take it back and make you whole again and at anytime up to you taking possession of car again with new engine. Mark
Old 04-09-2014, 08:59 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

My question is two fold:

or

Don't worry. At least the techs will have practice changing engines on the earlier cars..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 PM
FinHenke
Advanced

Hi all,

Spoke to my dealer and their best estimate for when the car would be on the road was in thw beginning of June. For me, that's too long. the driving season is approx. 6 months of the year and for me losing half of that without a cash compensation doesn't fly. I bought a 991 Carrera 2S (second hand) and are going to use it until this whole matter resolves. After that I'll make my final decision whether I take the car (if still available)or not. For me, as a DD GT3 driver the wait simply was too long and the cost per season is too steep just to take a hit for losing half the season without anything in return.

Let's hope for the best,

matias

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?