Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:40 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
How about this solution :

All 2014 that have been delivered , will get engines replaced including 6 year warranty
All cars yet to be built (that have not left the factory) sold as 2015 with standard warranty.
Porsche needs to reward the early guys for their brand loyalty and make it worth while to keep the car
This whole privileged dilemma should be fun ,
the last new GT3 997 model was 2011, hello ,
I agree.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
Good to know. I'm seriously considering EU delivery for my RS and will keep this in mind.
Since you have to pay for the car 30 days in advance there is plenty of time to make reservations. If there is a schedule change it will be obvious before the 30 day period.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick
Those of you claiming a 458 can be had for $200,000 can you direct me to where I can find the car/cars?
Good question. The fact that most used 458's are listed at, or above, MSRP leads one to believe that new cars are still hard to get. I've been very surprised by the number of people who have said they will reject their GT3 and just bop over to the Ferrari store and pick up a 458 or, better yet, a Speciale.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
@Silverrules -- PCNA (after I called them twice--bc they never confirmed to call me back...) told me a couple of weeks ago that cars are stored outdoors at ports. BUT, she seemed VERY unsure about that general blanket answer. My dealer (in LA) told me immediately after I asked that all affected cars are stored indoors and locked away.

If anyone else has confirmation, it would he great to hear. @Nick?
Pasha Automotive Services does the PDI and they have have a storage facility in National City San Diego. I called to find out if these cars were stored and the person I spoke with didn't have a clue. She must have received her training from Sergeant Shultz. Seriously she could not tell me which person I could speak with to find out if the car was there.

Maybe you do better.

I have asked my SA to look into it.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:59 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 52 Posts

See this is what I don't understand. I have an April Euro delivery date and they are saying that everything is on schedule. The car entered V260 status on March 11 and everything is going according to plan. Yet due to the stop sale I have not paid for the car and have no idea when I will. I don't mind a delay in fact I expect it but to wait and wait and have everything on schedule when it makes no sense that it would be, leaves me thinking I'm going to get a call 2 weeks from ED that things are pushed back a month. Screwing up everything. At the last minute. I know this is a problem few people would have sympathy for, but I just an uneasy feeling that there is no way things could be on schedule.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:04 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's something I thought about at 4 am while I lie awake with RL threads running through my head. (I already said I was a sick man) The reason PAG has been so secret and slow to inform GT3 owners and everyone for that matter is probably not because they like being arrogant or thoughtless. Much has been said on RL how their news releases and information flow has been a PR nightmare, and HOW NOT TO DO IT. Agreed. This news dissemination particularly the compensation news and time tables will continue to be painfully slow. IMHO. The reason might very well be that we are talking about publicly traded companies and the rules they have to follow regarding insider information. Whether you are talking about Porsche Automobil Hldg-Prf or VW AG. Any information that gets leaked to dealers or insiders is concerning. People who act on this information (remember Martha Stewart?) can and do get prosecuted. So the reason the dealers don't know anything? They can't know. Hey, if they were to start telling everyone what the compensation will be, the time delay for the motors, the lost production time, the cost to replace all the motors, etc., etc. (Mind you all the questions I would love answers to!) I know a lot of savvy people out there who can figure real quickly what a hit to their earnings this might be. They are going to trickle out public news as they see fit when and only when it has the least potential impact on the earnings outlook. That does not mean they are not working as fast as possible to remedy the situation, only that we (GT3 owners, soon to be GT3 owners and dealers) will all be the bozos on the bus waiting for the next juicy bit of news. Sometimes, thanks to our astute Rennlisters, we can get insider information from sources that speak off the record. I like that. Just don't trade the stock on it! Where is Martha by the way?

Last edited by rubbaman; 03-18-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What comes first? The first car post engine swap back on the road? Or 5,000 posts to this thread?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I know that Kramer was kidding about the Loctite,but this^^^is an excellent description. The bolts expand with heat and need to be torqued in a specific pattern and at a specific torque. I'm not sure about the rod bolts,but for head bolts,they need to be tighten at different torque specs and pattern step by step,until the desired torque is reached.
In the case of a high performance engine,revving to 9K RPM,allow me to believe Porsche engineers are facing a difficult challenge right now,that will need a long time of testing to be proven permanent.
Of course I knew Kramer was kidding, and I was also kidding about the never-seez used to ease the bolts into the crankcase & bolt head flying out of crankcase. However when he mentioned the loctite it took me back few years back while we were working on this bolt failure, and it turned out to be at the end the cause of the failure. But You are absolutely correct about the specific torque values and pattern needed when the bolts are exposed to wide fluctuating temperatures. Manufacturers struggled with automating this tightening & torquing process, and most chose to leave it as a manual process to control the process closely. I am sure the Porsche engineers will get it right, but I could not help but sympathize with them and the extreme pressure they are under to resolve this very quickly

Last edited by mqandil; 03-18-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Due respect, and not to single out your post, but I'm sure all of us with 991 GT3's in our garages, at dealers, or on the docks enjoy getting advice from those who don't about what we should do with our cars. Or maybe it's just me. I doubt I'd otherwise be able to make a big financial decision like that all on my own.

I'm not sure what motivates y'all to come here and be so generous with your suggestions but I certainly do appreciate them. In fact, I've read those suggestions so many times now that I've committed them to memory and there's really no need for anyone to waste their valuable time repeating them, again. To keep it going though, maybe someone could start their own thread on the subject (the 997 forum would be a great place for it) and people could +1 each other about it to their heart's content. Sorry, don't mean to be rude and offer unsolicited advice.

Yeah, that was kind of snarky....it's late, I'm tired.....oh well, I'll just have to regret it tomorrow.
Had (wet) dreams or nightmares?

Not at all Mike, just the passion and love about a car that was cultivated one race success one track dependable GT3 at the time. Maybe in your case it was cultivated in just a few short test miles that I for one have not yet experienced. You know I want to badly just did not want to put that much money at risk to try her without making sure she's disease free, but you of course could be much wiser than us 991GT3 virgins. I will have to wait to deflower one for sure.
The hunt is exciting, I'm playing hard to get and she will eventually put out on my terms.

And since when does love have to make sense right?

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Like Pete Stout, I haven't read all of the 3000 posts in this thread.. but why is it that droves of people - who have already explicitly said they have no interest in 991 GT3, won't be buying one, can't afford one, have canceled their order, etc., etc., - continue to post in the 991 GT3 forum over and over and over again bitching and moaning at how the new GT3 is an utter POS and Porsche is the anti-christ??

Look, you don't like the 991 GT3 - we get it. You hate Porsche - we get it. You (many and you know who you are..) have said so dozens and hundreds of times already. Give it a fvcking rest, man... and let the current owners and those who actually want to buy one discuss it out.

You hate Porsche and how they've treated you or how they handled things in the past. Fine, then sell your 997 GT3 and buy something else instead of bitching online all day in the 991 GT3 forum. Sell your Porsche and move onto something else... please. Ferrari, Vette, Z28, Aston, whatever (who cares)...

I'm sure many of you will come up with various excuses. I'll need a replacement in the future; no, we're voicing our displeasure where Porsche is headed; I'm genuinely curious and concerned about the actual facts and wish nothing but the best for everyone who has or ordered one; blah blah blah. If you have no interest in the 991 GT3, shut up and let it be unless you've got something positive or constructive to add. You hate Porsche? Good! Sell, buy something else, and STFU!! It got old last year.

For the record, I don't have a skin in this game. I don't own a 991 GT3 nor do I have one on order. I monitor the forum because it's an exciting time with a new GT3 launch (which hasn't gone well so far) and because everyone who's ever driven it has said it's ****ing awesome. TBH, I'd much rather have a 997 GT3 (even my pick-up truck is a manual!!!) but all the raving reviews about 991 GT3 have me intrigued. So I stand back and observe. You don't like it? Then stick to 996/997 GT3 forums instead of bitching all day, everyday, on the 991 GT3 forum. Quite simple, really.
Vetman, I'll STFU when I'm good and ready.

It's love man, passion and romance. The more you love her, the more it hurts when she cheats on you and than throws you under the bus. You start hating what your passioned about.

Porsche is the back stabbing antichrist for taking away the pure CUP car based manual sports car we are crazy about. Now I hate her, hate her, hate her...I love her if she smiles, she might put out with a 6 speed manual RS, ohh wet dreams. Now she tries to make me rape Z06.. all her fault.
We could have been so happy together forever; That bitch.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:21 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What comes first? The first car post engine swap back on the road? Or 5,000 posts to this thread?
... ?FLM911, who appears to have had first delivery on 12/19/13, of RL members in N.A. ... we'll expect report from him (?May?!)
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Out of a very weird sense of curiosity, I've read through much of this thread on my free time late at night. It's kind of interesting how the mood has swung - psychologists would be amused....

I think this comment from kaamacat went largely unnoticed, but WOULD be a plausible explanation. If, for example, something was done incorrectly by a human or machine, and the incorrectness was intermittent - i.e. the power torque wrench sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, but nobody reported it or it never got a big 'red flag' in production, or Hans had a bad night, broken finger, etc...whatever - its VERY possible that they don't know EXACTLY which engines are affected. Maybe only a dozen or less. Or maybe only those 2. Problem is, they don't know. So in order to make sure they covered all their bases, they are recalling every one.

Or, maybe the torque spec is soooo close to being wrong that it will most likely never fail, but if it DOES fail, the consequences are catastrophic. Who knows, maybe there was a change in equipment, personnel, procedure, etc.

Any of these scenarios would also explain why so many of you have flogged their cars with no issues. It may well be there IS no issue in any of them, but Porsche can't take that chance.

I have been involved with lean manufacturing/JIT procedures in many companies. The upside is the cost savings...the downside is the fear that the workers have in holding up the line for ANY reason. If they hold it up, and they are wrong in their concerns, they cost the company tons of money. Most won't speak up.

Since this is all speculation, and I'm sure we will NEVER know the real answer....just thought I would throw this out too.
I have to agree with you on this. I also believe it had to do with automation process and the torquing procedure. I just refuse to believe all the engines are effected, otherwise we would have seen many more failures. Most failures in mechanical components either fail almost immediately (within few hundred hours) or of course they take their normal course of failure due to fatigue and this usually takes many years to happen, which explains why the failure happened only in very low mileage cars. I also agree it would be very hard, if not impossible for Porsche to tell which engine is affected by this torquing / automation procedure. If it is a supply issue of bad components it would be much easier to isolate which engines are affected, which is why they are calling for all engines to be replaced. Of course we will never know the truth, but my feeling remains that most of these engines are ok and especially the ones that have already completed the break-in period without any trouble.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it is worth, per by sales agent as of yesterday.

Car exited production on 2/28 as scheduled.
On 2/28 it went back into CP Assembly (CP 8.0), which was suppose to be a day. Now it is showing an exit from CP Assembly on 4/4.
Ship on 4/11
Leave Emden on 4/18
San Diego port on 5/23
Dealer on 5/30 (originally this was 5/2 and 5/9; switched back an forth)

I assume this is all subject to change....
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 188 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Here's something I thought about at 4 am while I lie awake with RL threads running through my head. (I already said I was a sick man) The reason PAG has been so secret and slow to inform GT3 owners and everyone for that matter is probably not because they like being arrogant or thoughtless. Much has been said on RL how their news releases and information flow has been a PR nightmare, and HOW NOT TO DO IT. Agreed. This news dissemination particularly the compensation news and time tables will coninue to be painfully slow. IMHO. The reason might very well be that we are talking about publicly traded companies and the rules they have to follow regarding insider information. Whether you are talking about Porsche Automobil Hldg-Prf or VW AG. Any information that gets leaked to dealers or insiders is concerning. People who act on this information (remember Martha Stewart?) can and do get prosecuted. So the reason the dealers don't know anything? They can't know. Hey, if they were to start telling everyone what the compensation will be, the time delay for the motors, the lost production time, the cost to replace all the motors, etc., etc. (Mind you all the questions I would love answers to!) I know a lot of savvy people out there who can figure real quickly what a hit to their earnings this might be. They are going to trickle out public news as they see fit when and only when it has the least potential impact on the earnings outlook. That does not mean they are not working as fast as possible to remedy the situation, only that we (GT3 owners, soon to be GT3 owners and dealers) will all be the bozos on the bus waiting for the next juicy bit of news. Sometimes, thanks to our astute Rennlisters, we can get insider information from sources that speak off the record. I like that. Just don't trade the stock on it! Where is Martha by the way?
You make a good point. I know we all just want our cars fixed, *NOW*, but the cold hard fact is that this whole situation from the investigation, to the analysis, to the fix, to the implementation of the fix, isn't just complex from an engineering, manufacturing, and logistical standpoint, but is also interconnected with legal and financial concerns.

Most all of us wish this had never happened or had somehow been caught in advance but that train has left the station. The reality of the thing is that the resolution, if it is to be done properly, takes time. Just be thankful that Porsche isn't pulling a GM at this point.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You make a good point. I know we all just want our cars fixed, *NOW*, but the cold hard fact is that this whole situation from the investigation, to the analysis, to the fix, to the implementation of the fix, isn't just complex from an engineering, manufacturing, and logistical standpoint, but is also interconnected with legal and financial concerns.

Most all of us wish this had never happened or had somehow been caught in advance but that train has left the station. The reality of the thing is that the resolution, if it is to be done properly, takes time. Just be thankful that Porsche isn't pulling a GM at this point.
You got that right Mike! 785 Pcars recalled vs. 1.6 million! And that's on top of 1.2 million!
From my previous point, you can see how a Porsche Demonstration or Porsche "sit-in" or "Occupy Porsche" (something like that was suggested on RL to get their attention) would be absolutely worthless.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

My dealer (in LA) told me immediately after I asked that all affected cars are stored indoors and locked away.

If anyone else has confirmation, it would he great to hear. @Nick?
On the east coast they have been sitting outside exposed to the elements since the stop sale.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?