Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Devils Advocate- The things I don't like about my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 458 Likes on 297 Posts

Just wanted to mention to OP, I find this a very interesting thread. I've never driven a GT3, and have frequently heard comments that it's a fantastic track car but a poor daily driver, but never knew why the "poor daily driver" assessment. Nevertheless, if someone were to offer to give me a GT3, I wouldn't turn them down.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
But if you don't go to the track, why buy a GT3 at all? or why a 911 even?
Good question. It depends where you live/drive. Some places have more places to use a GT3 on the road than others.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Actually its probably not this....

Mostly you will be turning in between 50-80kmph (from my experience fast road and track driving). This is usually your lowest speed on the track once youve scrubbed off some speed. At that speed the RWS is not functioning (i.e. it is set static toe=0degrees).

The reason this car turns in like no other 911 before it is a combination of improved chassis dynamics, wide front tyres with grippy tyres and and electronic rear diff that is able to lock itself infinately this keeping deceleration lock modest in order to reduce the understeer inherent in more aggressive fixed decell/accell mechanical LSDs used on these GT3s in teh past...

Thats my thoughts having driven it. I found the front end grip so good (compared to my 993) that I was turning in later than I typically would with a bit more lock. This can become very entertaining as you learn how much is too much and the rear scrubs wide (oversteer). Best not to learn while wiife and baggage in car I found LOL! Once you understand this dynamic and get a bit more confidence you really can have some fun setting up the 991 GT3 out of a corner. I didnt experiment widely beyond this point as i was on foreign roads with the wheel on teh wrong side of the car but as soon as I have this car on my favourite RHD driving roads or my local track I will be exploring this further...
Good points, I forgot about the e-diff and torque vectoring.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Clarence Ng
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread, thanks for starting it OP! As a current owner of an E92 M3 and F10 M5, this is very relevant information for me. I am seriously considering buying the 991 GT3 and will get to sample it next Sunday at Sepang F1 circuit in a dealer event. Having driven the 991 C2S, I found it disappointing and am glad the GT3 is a couple of notches above the C2S. Can't wait for next Sunday...
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Just wanted to mention to OP, I find this a very interesting thread. I've never driven a GT3, and have frequently heard comments that it's a fantastic track car but a poor daily driver, but never knew why the "poor daily driver" assessment. Nevertheless, if someone were to offer to give me a GT3, I wouldn't turn them down.
A very powerful, high revving engine makes for an excellent DD as it gives you two cars in one. I am waiting to confirm this in my GT3 but it's certainly true of the C2S as that's a great DD but really comes alive when you put it in sport mode and trash it. Similar effect with my V-TEC equipped CRX all those years ago
Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The car by no means will disappoint. If this car disappoints then honestly you probably are on the wrong forum. The car is amazing when pushed to the edge and I did a 3 hour road trip this past week in it and had no issues "Daily Driving" it. It was comfortable (for a Porsche) and I had plenty of legroom and enough cabin space to stretch out. The car made for an awesome DD and more importantly it's ridiculous amounts of fun.

The only thing that is still hindering me is that I keep looking through my rear view mirror attempting to look behind me but its a total fail because I can't see anything with the wing. The first thing I do when I take off is look in the rear view for any cops, but I'm rendered useless here. As the other owners would attest to is that you start getting used to looking in the side view mirrors.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

A sport car has a function just as does a sedan. It seems to me taking a sedan or even an SUV and tracking it would be like performing brain surgery while wearing a catchers mitt.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:10 PM
cingulus
Racer

Originally Posted by mhh
Good question. It depends where you live/drive. Some places have more places to use a GT3 on the road than others.
I agree completely, I will probably only track my car 3-4 times a year, but in Socal, lots of great canyons to run the car on
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarence Ng
Awesome thread, thanks for starting it OP! As a current owner of an E92 M3 and F10 M5, this is very relevant information for me. I am seriously considering buying the 991 GT3 and will get to sample it next Sunday at Sepang F1 circuit in a dealer event. Having driven the 991 C2S, I found it disappointing and am glad the GT3 is a couple of notches above the C2S. Can't wait for next Sunday...
Wow - exactly my experience. Please update this thread with your impressions after the weekend. Have fun!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

50km corner entry speed on track Macca? Are you sure you don't mean autocross?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarence Ng
If you are at the point where you drive by feel, and very close/comfortable to the traction limit in your M3, the first time you drive a track focused 911 (GT3, RS etc) is going to be a interesting and eyebrow raising experience for you. The two cars could not be more different (slight hyperbole) in grip and and dynamic character. Set aside weight differences, power, and tire sizes for a second. Where the M3 is very stable and neutral at turn-in and mid corner, the 911 is nervous, understeering, and not confidence inspiring. Where the M3 is unstable at corner exit under full power, the 911 can put down massive, stable power. Where the M3 is neutral and easy to control via throttle and relatively happy with adjustments in front-rear weight transfer, the 911 is absolutely not happy using the same magnitude of input/changes.

The net of all of this is that you have to drive the 911 very differently, and you need to find your confidence in new places. The grip and stability under power means you can get on the gas waaaaaay earlier in a corner, and you need to see past the initial difficulty and instability in entering the corner (I am talking in relative terms...). Your confidence and precision also needs to be greater, because you don't have as much ability to correct a mistake (i.e. no lifting throttle to tuck the nose in).

My first time out in the RS disappointed and scared me at the same time. I felt like I had lost the ability to drive (the way I drive - which is by the seat of the pants, not by calculation). I was not much faster, despite having a 700+lb weight advantage, and 40 more HP - it completely shattered my confidence (not to mention I was pushing a car that was worth more than 3x my E90 around). That feeling started to go away after a few days of seat time, and now it's mostly gone and replaced with a new kind of confidence. Having seen the differences in dynamics and grip, etc - I can get into any car and very quickly drive with higher confidence and speed. Kind of like - "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" feeling.

For a just-getting-started soon to be track junkie, the GT3 is going to feel better right out of the box. It's tighter, controls body motions better, and is massively lighter on it's feet. Steering and general feedback are much better. You will like it for sure, its a big step closer to a race car than a OEM M3. And you'll be faster because it's lighter and has more thrust.

But ultimately it's more difficult to drive at or approaching the limits. And that is where the appeal comes from - the character, the challenge in mastering it....many people who get hooked on this go backwards in time to buy older 911s that expose this character in higher concentrations. Part of the reason why there has been such a love-it/hate-it/complain/whining air about the 991. I've not driven a 991 gt3 yet but I can imagine that Porsche has minimized a lot of the sources of confidence issues through physical chassis improvements (longer wheelbase, center of gravity shift forward), and with gizmos like RWS, e-diff, vectoring, and other wonders, and dialed up the bad-*** race-car factor.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM
tripleblack
Racer

^ Great post. Would you mind sharing the differences between the cars in the brake zones? Tks.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleblack
^ Great post. Would you mind sharing the differences between the cars in the brake zones? Tks.
911 has so much more weight over rear axle that the rear can actually provide significantly more stopping force - and overall greater deceleration force than an M3. Your braking zones can be shorter - but you will want to more gently transition weight to the rear before you turn-in (which is generally later anyways). Because the turn-in is later and the forces can be quite a bit higher, you will start braking later than before. I had to learn to heal-toe when moving to the RS, so my braking zones got all sorts of crazy messed up for a time....

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 02-06-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ShakeNBake. Great write up mate. You nailed the difference between front engine RWD and 991 driving at the track very well!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Yeah great post shake. While I agree, I hadn't progressed to a level where I completely regained the confidence lost from the benign bmw chassis. Will now go to work on that.

Quick Reply: Devils Advocate- The things I don't like about my GT3