Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Is it just me or is that car smiling? I know I'd be if she sat on my face too

RS a loss leader?! sure there's quite a few new bits that had development costs, but NO WAY is this a loss leader car. Infact, the exact opposite. The development costs are built into the price and the parts aside from the new bits, the bulk of the car's expensive parts are all shared across the 911 range (interior all 911, chassis/body from the turbo). I will agree that they're margin of profit for this RS may not quite be as high as previous RS's because it does have more model specific parts that are not shared across the range, but no way are they losing money on these cars.

I agree with your saying that they're going to try to fulfill quite a few more orders than people think they will. The more they sell, the more developmental costs they recoup for the parts that are proprietary to the RS such as the Magnesium roof, CF fenders etc. But your statement for the first time in 15 years they can actually make money...What?! Porsche is the most profitable automotive company in the world and has been for several years (maybe not consecutively), so I really don't know what you meant there. The 996RS was a homologation car so any extra developmental costs are allocated to the Motorsports program. That being said, the RS wasn't all that much different than the regular GT3 of the same era, infact, it was void of a lot of the costly luxuries that were in the GT3's such as Sat/nav, electric seats etc., so I'd even venture to say that with their additional price tags, their margin was even greater than the GT3's of the same era. The 1.3 was the biggest success sales wise compared to what? Other GT3's? I'm really not sure about that because Porsche doesn't publish their production numbers anymore so we can only speculate. That being said, they did seem to sell a lot of them and the second go around post Stop Sale seemed to really deliver A LOT of them especially in the short run that they had. But, again, that's speculation just as it seemed like they sure sold a lot of 997.1 GT3's as well. The engine replacements definitely as you alluded to had to eat into the profits though, which is too bad because the 1.3 was certainly a huge hit among Journalists and had people who swore to never buy an "automatic" in line to get one. You and I most certainly are on the same page though when it comes to wanting to see the RS/GT4 a big success, because like you, I REALLY want to see Porsche atop of the podium in motorsport again. I would be incredibly happy to see Porsche Win LeMans again. Or be able to replicate this "imperfection" below

Anyone know where you can order that poster from ???
Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Anyone know where you can order that poster from ???
This one is worth considering too:

Old 03-29-2015, 10:44 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it just goes to show, that the saying, good things come to those who wait is true.

I just received a call from my salesperson to say I have an official allocation - the dealer here has many names on the list and had to go through a selection process.

How chuffed am I? Well chuffed.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:53 AM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So u have V200 designation? If so, congrats. When is build and delivery month?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:14 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Is it just me or is that car smiling? I know I'd be if she sat on my face too RS a loss leader?! sure there's quite a few new bits that had development costs, but NO WAY is this a loss leader car. Infact, the exact opposite. The development costs are built into the price and the parts aside from the new bits, the bulk of the car's expensive parts are all shared across the 911 range (interior all 911, chassis/body from the turbo). I will agree that they're margin of profit for this RS may not quite be as high as previous RS's because it does have more model specific parts that are not shared across the range, but no way are they losing money on these cars. I agree with your saying that they're going to try to fulfill quite a few more orders than people think they will. The more they sell, the more developmental costs they recoup for the parts that are proprietary to the RS such as the Magnesium roof, CF fenders etc. But your statement for the first time in 15 years they can actually make money...What?! Porsche is the most profitable automotive company in the world and has been for several years (maybe not consecutively), so I really don't know what you meant there. The 996RS was a homologation car so any extra developmental costs are allocated to the Motorsports program. That being said, the RS wasn't all that much different than the regular GT3 of the same era, infact, it was void of a lot of the costly luxuries that were in the GT3's such as Sat/nav, electric seats etc., so I'd even venture to say that with their additional price tags, their margin was even greater than the GT3's of the same era. The 1.3 was the biggest success sales wise compared to what? Other GT3's? I'm really not sure about that because Porsche doesn't publish their production numbers anymore so we can only speculate. That being said, they did seem to sell a lot of them and the second go around post Stop Sale seemed to really deliver A LOT of them especially in the short run that they had. But, again, that's speculation just as it seemed like they sure sold a lot of 997.1 GT3's as well. The engine replacements definitely as you alluded to had to eat into the profits though, which is too bad because the 1.3 was certainly a huge hit among Journalists and had people who swore to never buy an "automatic" in line to get one. You and I most certainly are on the same page though when it comes to wanting to see the RS/GT4 a big success, because like you, I REALLY want to see Porsche atop of the podium in motorsport again. I would be incredibly happy to see Porsche Win LeMans again. Or be able to replicate this "imperfection" below
Scott,

What I meant was the Motorsport division of Porsche needed to make money! They've been having a tough time over the last 15 years! The 996gt3 sold pretty well and the 997gt3 did well considering it was sold between 2007-2011. But don't forget the Mezger engine was expensive.

The cayenne and Panamera and even the regular 911 has as we know sold really well and like you said Porsche is one the most profitable car company's. You might know better than me, but my guess is that AP still has to deliver the results to the mother company!
And I'm absolutely not saying that he has done a bad job. I think the cars they have produced are nothing short of amazing!
But I guess the results we see on the race tracks around the world at the moment is because of less money to APs team! I know a lot of people don't care about the racing heritage in their street cars. But to me and you it seems to matter. And even if I can't get the most out of their cars "not skilled enough" I believe it's important to be one of the fastest and most competitive when it comes to the RS.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Old 03-29-2015, 06:36 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

LO on black wheels, PCCBs is again very good looking. I'm a wing man, but in real life photos it looks absolutely enormous. The extra few inches of height make it very pronounced, not for the meek.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by consolidated
LO on black wheels, PCCBs is again very good looking.
Concur...now they just need to make more!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:48 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
LO on black wheels, PCCBs is again very good looking. I'm a wing man, but in real life photos it looks absolutely enormous. The extra few inches of height make it very pronounced, not for the meek.
Agree - these pictures are making me think of changing from UV to LO if PTS doesn't work out. Probably won't be enough of them that having the common color will be an issue.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm counting on better pics of UV before NA orders are locked. The quality of the real life pics so far have been unconvincing. Porsche should release more pics or a video...please, pretty please.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

The color goes from too red to too washers out.
I really wanted to love this color but just don't like it.

UV is also a crapshoot though..
Old 03-29-2015, 07:19 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Selvatico

This thing is bad a@@!!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:23 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The color goes from too red to too washers out.
I really wanted to love this color but just don't like it.

UV is also a crapshoot though..
I'm still convinced we should see it LIVE in sunlight..
Really the color in these pictures, especially the ones by autogespot, are nothing like what i've seen live in geneva.. The "red" is too bright, just like guards red..
Once again i'm guessing the camera is not giving us a correct idea about the color..
Old 03-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

So 502 pages later and we finally have some consensus on the 991 GT3 RS.

1) everybody wants a manual (Gimme one anyway)

2) the price vs performance jump isn't compelling enough vs standard GT 3 (did I get my allocation yet)

3) there aren't enough color options (lava will do)

4) one must have PTS (white will do)

5) it isn't limited production enough (I got my allocation)

6) Porsche isn't producing enough (I didn't get my allocation yet )

7) I still need a manual (did I get my GT4 allocation yet)

8) sport chrono is a waste of money (what is my delivery date)

9) nobody needs an RS (I can hide it from my wife in Tom's garage)

10) I need an RS for track days, by a Miata could work for 180 grand less (I can definitely hide it in Tom's garage)

11) is this really necessary (no, but your gonna do it anyway)

12) My dealer is a ***** (I have to pay over MSRP)

13) my dealer is great, I think (price is MSRP but no allocation yet)

14) my dealer is great, definitively (I confirmed my allocation)

15) they tricked me (.2 car is out with manual in 24 months)

16) Porsche is great. (Got allocation, paid MSRP, European delivery in PTS Riviera, .2 car never comes to be, drove it 17,000 miles and am selling it back to dealer at $40,000 over MSRP, wife never found out it existed).

Did I miss anything ?

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread