Sponsored by:

Full Leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:07 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
One thing I wish I would have added was the FREE SMOKERS PACKAGE..Esp for those in CO. It adds a little cover to the empty container at the rear end of the console. -- some might like the container as a change holder.
Plus you loose the charging socket. I like the covered tray with the smoking option.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Shifter would stay almost untouched on 991 gt3.. And I think that it comes in alcantara anyway regardless of leather order option.
I was talking about looking at the shifter on a 997 as a reference for what worn alcantara looks like (terrible, IMO). You can look at other parts at the same time and see the contrast in color and texture between worn and unworn alcantara. This is why I didn't order "full leather" despite it looking great when new in pictures.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
I love how Porsche calls it "full leather" yet it is mostly alcantara wsh
FWIW, they call it "Alcantera/Leather and Leather Interior" so they're almost telling the truth.....

Originally Posted by Dan39
While I agree with the consensus that "full leather" looks better in pictures when new, I would suggest that you have a look at a worn "full leather" interior from a 997 GT3 before making up your mind. Pay particularly attention to the shifter as that gets the most wear and will give you a preview of the future. I don't think alcantara fabric looks good when worn but it is the contrasts in color and texture between worn spots and unworn spots that is the greater problem.
Good point about the wear which is why I didn't order the Alcantera wheel. Thing is, the only other place subject to actual wear is the seat inserts (don't see the gearshift being a big wear point in a PDK car), and those are Alcantera whether you order "full leather" or not.

Originally Posted by Dude-
my original order was without the dash in leather but changed it. Melisa from Porsche highly recommended that it should be order because:
1. I gives it a complete high end detail finish look from the inside.
2. Since the dash is so long, it is the first thing you look at when trying to look into the car. On a vertical viewing point, the dash is 50% of your windshield. I then walked outside an checked out two TT and she was right. The one with the stitching really popped. IMHO it may add 2 more HP.
Due respect to both you and Melissa, but I compared a car with the additional dashboard trim in leather to one without and was perfectly happy to go without. To each his/her own, of course. You may be right about the extra 2 HP but since Guards Red gives an extra 10, I figure I'll still come out ahead.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
FWIW, they call it "Alcantera/Leather and Leather Interior" so they're almost telling the truth.....

Good point about the wear which is why I didn't order the Alcantera wheel. Thing is, the only other place subject to actual wear is the seat inserts (don't see the gearshift being a big wear point in a PDK car), and those are Alcantera whether you order "full leather" or not.

Due respect to both you and Melissa, but I compared a car with the additional dashboard trim in leather to one without and was perfectly happy to go without. To each his/her own, of course. You may be right about the extra 2 HP but since Guards Red gives an extra 10, I figured I'll still come out ahead.
I actually got the leather extended dash as I saw it on the car at Pebble Beach and loved it...I am excited for it. Here is a pic from PB.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
I actually got the leather extended dash as I saw it on the car at Pebble Beach and loved it...I am excited for it. Here is a pic from PB.
Damn that looks really cool. I may have to get it.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it looks good. I think it pops out because of the red stitching. I saw one with leather but not with the red stitching and did not notice much of a difference. My only concern is sun damage over time. The front of the dash always gets the brunt of the sun.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And here's a shot of the dash without the extended leather ($1700 option). Personally, I was planning to pay for the extra leather but after seeing it in person, I prefer the no-cost look. The deviated on the back half of the dash just started to look a little cheesy. All personal preference of course.

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 07-14-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
It does look good and your car will be gorgeous, but I thought the standard dash looked good too when I did the comparison and the difference, to me, wasn't worth $1700. Actually, I wasn't as keen on all the extra stitching, preferring a more subtle look for the interior (which is also why I went with silver stitching) against a bold exterior color, but again that's JMO. Very subjective for sure.....
Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

It does look good and your car will be gorgeous, but I thought the standard dash looked good too when I did the comparison and the difference, to me, wasn't worth $1700. Actually, I wasn't as keen on all the extra stitching, preferring a more subtle look for the interior (which is also why I went with silver stitching) against a bold exterior color, but again that's JMO. Very subjective for sure.....
For sure - this time around, since I was custom ordering and not giving in and buying off the lot as I normally do, I wanted to really customize...got a lot of personal touches to make it more special, to me.
Any word on your car? Still no word on mine...dealer is like molasses...slow response and zero effort to find out for me...
Old 01-08-2014, 02:32 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
And here's a shot of the dash without the extended leather ($1700 option). Personally, I was planning to pay for the extra leather but after seeing it in person, I prefer the no-cost look. The deviated on the back half of the dash just started to look a little cheesy. All personal preference of course.
I made the same decision. I like the extra cockpit area stitching but forward of the dash I didn't really feel would look as clean. But to each his own. And yes, I got the painted keys. Because I DO WHAT I WANT.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike, just suggesting you have a look at a 997 because my recollection was that there was a noticeable worn look on the seat inserts as you mention, but also the shifter, which will be reduced on this car but still noticeable (it doesn't take much contact and oil/dirt transfer to do it), on the door handles, and at the bottom of the dash where you'll get rub from passengers if I'm not mistaken. I've never gotten full leather so my recollection may not be perfect, but I did go check it out before this order and I was put off for the reasons mentioned.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Hey Mike, just suggesting you have a look at a 997 because my recollection was that there was a noticeable worn look on the seat inserts as you mention, but also the shifter, which will be reduced on this car but still noticeable (it doesn't take much contact and oil/dirt transfer to do it), on the door handles, and at the bottom of the dash where you'll get rub from passengers if I'm not mistaken. I've never gotten full leather so my recollection may not be perfect, but I did go check it out before this order and I was put off for the reasons mentioned.
Okay. I get it. The Alcantara parts will show wear. But, what are the alternatives? The seat inserts, door handles, and bottom of the dash only come in Alacantara. As far as I know, we don't have any other choices on the GT3.

Perhaps there's a market for vinyl interior wrap? Sort of like Grandma's living room furniture.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Never go full leather!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Perhaps there's a market for vinyl interior wrap? Sort of like Grandma's living room furniture. .
Plastidip. PM you know who...
Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Let's clarify option CZW...

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Rob: If you look at your photo closely (#1 below), you will see that this particular example DOES have the 'Additional Interior Package, Dashboard trim in leather' Code CZW. It is just that the stitching is 'standard, default' in a charcoal color and not in the 'silver' deviating stitching of the top of the dash. What you have here is probably an earlier 991 production vehicle that although ordered with CZW, 'Porsche Exclusive' was not yet able to allow that part in deviating stitching due to subcontractor complications. Or a later 991 in which the ordering party did not bothered to understand how to coordinate deviating stitching for all its panels. If its the former, I have covered this subject in my original custom ordering thread back in 2012. See post #62 at the link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...and-you-5.html

But that issue is now solved and you can order CZW with deviating stitching in the various approved synthetic threads.

I have attached photos (#2 to #5) of a 991 WITHOUT any form of CZW on its dash. All examples are of 'full leather' interiors, so the front dash is in leather. The additional trim on the dash (ventilation & speaker) are done in plastic 'soft touch' paint. As you can see, there is no stitching of any sort - unlike the photo you provided us! For the sake of clarification for the forum, and to make sure we have correct information, I thought I would point that out.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images       

Quick Reply: Full Leather