Sponsored by:

Full Leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Full Leather

In the same spirit that I asked you all what you thought of the Sport Chrono I am wondering what the collective wisdom of the group thinks of full leather on the 991 GT3.

Is it in keeping with the soul of the car to have the full leather option? The car is really kind of a hard core "track" car. Certainly not supposed to be luxurious at all. However I also think of it as a competitor of the Ferrari 458. The leather and stitching in that car is beautiful. I personally like the full leather in the GT3. However I am not a fan of the leather covered vents, mirrors and other do-dads.

As specced now, my car has it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by armbar
In the same spirit that I asked you all what you thought of the Sport Chrono I am wondering what the collective wisdom of the group thinks of full leather on the 991 GT3.

Is it in keeping with the soul of the car to have the full leather option? The car is really kind of a hard core "track" car. Certainly not supposed to be luxurious at all. However I also think of it as a competitor of the Ferrari 458. The leather and stitching in that car is beautiful. I personally like the full leather in the GT3. However I am not a fan of the leather covered vents, mirrors and other do-dads.

As specced now, my car has it.
Smart. The "base" full leather package is a terrific upgrade and I wouldn't order without it, unless you plan to use the car almost exclusively on track.

Not saying they aren't nice if that's what you want, but you can easily pass on the other leather bits, IMHO.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The extended leather dash, especially if you are getting red stitching is awesome and makes the car "pop". If you are not getting red stitching, I don't think it adds much. I didn't get it but I should have ordered seat backs in leather as the plastic look doesn't flow very well and doesn't match anything else in the car.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Smart. The "base" full leather package is a terrific upgrade and I wouldn't order without it, unless you plan to use the car almost exclusively on track.

Not saying they aren't nice if that's what you want, but you can easily pass on the other leather bits, IMHO.
Nailed it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

IMHO, this is a good option!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

full leather.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Saw full leather with red stitching in person last week. Looked amazing. I would definitely go with it. The extended leather dash looked great as well on the car.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Opinions on the red stitching with white exterior?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

In general I prefer the silver stitching, but I also think red stitching would add some pop to a white car.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Full leather?

Originally Posted by armbar
I am wondering what the collective wisdom of the group thinks of full leather
Collective wisdom? Pass up on the leather option shown in the first photo below. Too restrictive. Besides, it's not available with deviating stitching! Hold on.....I think I am in the wrong 'full leather' forum again!!!! Never mind.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The "base" full leather package is a terrific upgrade and I wouldn't order without it...Not saying they aren't nice if that's what you want, but you can easily pass on the other leather bits
I think the gt3 & the RS are the only two models you can probably do without 'full leather' and suffer no adverse consequences later on (resale). I personally like 'full leather' in the gt3, with its beautiful 'Alcantara' inserts (matching inlays on seats, door panels & lower dash - see photo #2) is something unique to this model which sets it apart from full leather interiors on any other 991! If you decide to go 'full leather' on your gt3, I would suggest you consider the following three additional leather options (CZW, XNS, XWK) offered by Porsche for this model (photos #3 & #4):

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

-
Attached Images     
Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

Are there any interior pics comparing a standard vs full? As I was going through the configuration I felt like once I went with the leather option I might as well expand that to the doors dash and seatbacks. All of which tacked on about $6-8k depending on the bits and pieces.

I did carbon fiber Trim on a standard interior to add some coolness factor. But I'm still trying to decide whether to go full leather. It's not my DD and will probably just be a weekend track toy

Jeff
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
The extended leather dash, especially if you are getting red stitching is awesome and makes the car "pop". If you are not getting red stitching, I don't think it adds much. I didn't get it but I should have ordered seat backs in leather as the plastic look doesn't flow very well and doesn't match anything else in the car.
I saw your setbacks in the track video. It didn't look that bad? It's not silver like on the standard 18way seats right? It seems much darker.

Jeff
Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z356
Collective wisdom? Pass up on the leather option shown in the first photo below. Too restrictive. Besides, it's not available with deviating stitching! Hold on.....I think I am in the wrong 'full leather' forum again!!!! Never mind.
Wish I'd seen that in the configurator before I ordered!

Originally Posted by Z356
I think the gt3 & the RS are the only two models you can probably do without 'full leather' and suffer no adverse consequences later on (resale). I personally like 'full leather' in the gt3, with its beautiful 'Alcantara' inserts (matching inlays on seats, door panels & lower dash - see photo #2) is something unique to this model which sets it apart from full leather interiors on any other 991! If you decide to go 'full leather' on your gt3, I would suggest you consider the following three additional leather options (CZW, XNS, XWK) offered by Porsche for this model (photos #3 & #4):

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

-
The additional options are very nice, it's just that Porsche makes you pay dearly for them. If one orders the three listed, for example, they will cost significantly more than "full leather" in the first place. IMHO, it's as if Porsche sees the full leather option as a bit of a "loss leader" and therefore makes it a relative bargain. Once you order it, you begin to think that you need just a few more pieces to finish off the interior, and then they have you!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it in context. For example it's going to be my main 'cool' car for dates, and occasional track days. So I want it nice, and after 150k, whats another 5k to make sure you got it right.. And don't want to be going out on dates in a car with a roll cage.. LOL.. If I had a bunch of nice cars, I could afford some leeway to make this a more focus'd car. -- For a serious track guy, I could see not wanting to show up at the track all the time with a bunch of leather in the car. raw would feel better in a track environment.. .. .. And if you really want to go hard core you can always build your own car or buy a radical.. HaHa..
Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I love talking about leather.

Anyway.. I'm thinking full leather with red stitching and the steering column. I don't believe the leather dash surround has any stitching visible so even for $300 that seems like a waste. The extended dash is just Too much IMO at $1700, and then there is the other leather option which includes those door pointers which are atill a bit of a mystery to me.

I'm thinking that $5k is a max to spend on that leather interior... But the gt3 with its alcantara inserts is really the P-car which makes it worth it. Maybe add some red belts and a sport chrono (that last bit just to **** off the purists)

Quick Reply: Full Leather