Sponsored by:

Ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thought I would update this thread with a couple of new items. First, the lift is much quicker than advertised; it raises in about 1 second which means you can use it spontaneously, without having to stop in traffic to wait for it. Even more interesting is that the claim of it staying lifted up to 30mph before lowering automatically is conservative. Today I found myself on a really crappy rural road and had to slow way down to avoid repeated scrapes of the brake ducts. I raised the front and continued along at about 25 mph with no further problems. As the road improved a bit, I increased speed to see when the lift would come down. The nose stayed up until I touched 39mph, when it finally lowered. That was a high enough threshold for me to drive as fast as I wanted to, given the road surface, without having to worry about bottoming anything out.
My experience is very similar. Very quick and very useful. I am using it a lot and it works great. A very useful option.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. Its good its so quick. Back roads out your way must be even crappier than Italy and on parr with the ones I drove on the old San Remo rally course!

Like I said only days after I got the car, the front lip isnt the issue until you are navigating a drive way or a speed hump or something poorly designed and with a steep gradient in town. On the road its the brake ducts that will rub once you press on with a little pace. 30mph/39mph its great to know that you can keep the nose raided at that speed if you really are worried about the brake ducts, but fact is I would regularly exceed those speeds corner to corner on a regular back road drive even if only for a few moments, that car accelerates so fast that to get to 60kmph even only for a second before laying on the anchors before a corner is pretty much guaranteed unless you are taking the wife for a Sunday picnic.

My 2c for others others reading this is I think the lift is probably worth the peace of mind if you have the money and a challenging inner city residential landscape to regularly navigate. However if you are worried about those brake ducts then forget it, in real world driving if you are actually going to use this missile and not polish it then forget saving the $120 a side brake ducts and just get used to the occasional sound of them scraping on big compressions created from speed, surface cambers and broken pavement.

P.S. I have no idea how much those brake ducts cost LOL!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Mike, not being confrontational on this as we both respect each others point of view on the lift. If I had an unlimited budget for this car I would have ordered front lift, Carbon fibre trim and PTS! However I had a 6 week international holiday to drive my GT3 and thus had to be realistic. I took the 3K I "saved" from the LEDs as you know and when faced with ClupSport 003 spec (now with heated CF buckets to keep the wife happy), cage, 6pt harness etc or lift.....well the rest you know and I couldnt be happier with the decision.

Heres a laugh for you. A mate of mine who has a GT3 on order has a commercial 3D printing machine. Hes already asked to take my front splitter section to scan and intends to manufacture those and the brake ducts in a more flexible and durable rubber/pu compound as spares. Hes not doing these to sell mind but it reminds me in 5-10 years well all be doing teh same form home. Things are about to change!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. Its good its so quick. Back roads out your way must be even crappier than Italy and on parr with the ones I drove on the old San Remo rally course!

Like I said only days after I got the car, the front lip isnt the issue until you are navigating a drive way or a speed hump or something poorly designed and with a steep gradient in town. On the road its the brake ducts that will rub once you press on with a little pace. 30mph/39mph its great to know that you can keep the nose raided at that speed if you really are worried about the brake ducts, but fact is I would regularly exceed those speeds corner to corner on a regular back road drive even if only for a few moments, that car accelerates so fast that to get to 60kmph even only for a second before laying on the anchors before a corner is pretty much guaranteed unless you are taking the wife for a Sunday picnic.
My 2c for others others reading this is I think the lift is probably worth the peace of mind if you have the money and a challenging inner city residential landscape to regularly navigate. However if you are worried about those brake ducts then forget it, in real world driving if you are actually going to use this missile and not polish it then forget saving the $120 a side brake ducts and just get used to the occasional sound of them scraping on big compressions created from speed, surface cambers and broken pavement.

Macca, I agree on most of those points. This particular road was one where I thought I would take a short cut and found myself on a poorly patched and maintained surface with lots of irregularities. (You should try some of our Sonoma County roads if you're ever in CA again; they are almost as famous as our wines.) Without the lift, to avoid constant pranging, I would have either had to creep along at 15-20 mph and flinch over every bump, or turn around and go back the way I came. The lift made it possible for me to move along at as much of a pace as was comfortable given the bad surface and a stiffly sprung car.

It's not a cure all for sure, but my primary reason for posting was to show that, in those random situations where it's needed, it's rather more useful than I expected because of the speed factor, both in lifting and in MPH.

P.S. No worries, Macca. We're on the same page, mate...
Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

$30-40 a piece. Replaced one on the TTS
Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Geez Sam. They are cheap. Ill order a few as spares from FD Motorsports!

Mike. I was surprised to hear the lift stays up at up to that speed. by the way add PCCB to my ultimate wish list in my post above. I would have ordered those too if no budget was in place!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks it isn't the brake ducts that are the issue on bumpy roads. They seem to better designed than on the .2 cars and not in the way as much where they get knocked off so easily. Issue on the 991 is the plastic covers that come down quite a bit and are ahead of the front wheels so will strike the road or irregularities ahead. These covers are lower than the front splitter. Have had mine scrape a few times. Had the car on a lift this week, see what I mean here.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes those are them. Silly me assumed they were brake ducts. What are they?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not exactly sure whats above them.

The rear brake ducts have changed quite a bit and now screw into the lower control arms. Nice simple design and one less part as the .2 duct had two pieces that screwed together over the control arm. Got pretty good at replacing them!
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 09:51 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Fortunately I don't have to contend with any of those. Just run of the mill speed bumps and plenty of those.

I could opt for a lifter, but I know I will forget to use it sooner or later.
You would easily clear all the speed bumps going out on the palm but you would never make it to let's say emirates golf club in a gt3. Hope this info helps.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes those are them. Silly me assumed they were brake ducts. What are they?
air deflectors?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Just an anecdote about the ride hight. This morning I was trying to reshuffle cars on the driveway and was focused on not scraping the front where driveway enters the garage. So backing out at those angles I ended up with one rear wheel almost in the air where the driveaway meets the road AND front scraping a bit. If not for locking diff, it would've been stuck! I get out of the car to assess the situation, swearing at whoever design the driveway in such an awkward way. Then finally get the car where I wanted it.

Still pissed at whoever made the driveway such a PITA for no reason, I walk back to the house and overhear a neighbor telling his wife or GF - "see, it goes to show you cannot buy happiness". I laughed out loud.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:03 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Just an anecdote about the ride hight. This morning I was trying to reshuffle cars on the driveway and was focused on not scraping the front where driveway enters the garage. So backing out at those angles I ended up with one rear wheel almost in the air where the driveaway meets the road AND front scraping a bit. If not for locking diff, it would've been stuck! I get out of the car to assess the situation, swearing at whoever design the driveway in such an awkward way. Then finally get the car where I wanted it.

Still pissed at whoever made the driveway such a PITA for no reason, I walk back to the house and overhear a neighbor telling his wife or GF - "see, it goes to show you cannot buy happiness". I laughed out loud.
Funny story. sorry about your driveway.

Shows how stiff the GT3 chassis is. My .2 was coming out of the shop (clear bra ). The driver (shop owner) stopped the car over an undulating gradient and called me over. My lt. wheel was about 6 inches in the air.

So, you're saying get the lift.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
Folks it isn't the brake ducts that are the issue on bumpy roads. They seem to better designed than on the .2 cars and not in the way as much where they get knocked off so easily. Issue on the 991 is the plastic covers that come down quite a bit and are ahead of the front wheels so will strike the road or irregularities ahead. These covers are lower than the front splitter. Have had mine scrape a few times. Had the car on a lift this week, see what I mean here.
You're right, of course, Sam now that I've looked at mine more closely too. My 997.2 Carrera had a similar vertical fairing, positioned in front of the wheel, and it also used to scrape my driveway all the time, but it didn't have that piece tapering toward the front of the car. This looks like a modification/improvement of the previous design, and in both cases I'm guessing they were aero aids of some kind.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You're right, of course, Sam now that I've looked at mine more closely too. My 997.2 Carrera had a similar vertical fairing, positioned in front of the wheel, and it also used to scrape my driveway all the time, but it didn't have that piece tapering toward the front of the car. This looks like a modification/improvement of the previous design, and in both cases I'm guessing they were aero aids of some kind.
My last gt3 had the same extended inner wheel housing. I believe this was designed to keep the frontal air directed away from the inner well and to create an exit for the circulating air within the well. As I stated above, I believe with the 991 3 Porsche added deflectors to further re-direct and ease air flow entering from the front. This also allows the wheel well air to exit undisturbed. Reasons: less parasitic drag? Better brake cooling, however, minimal?

Complete speculation on my part. I could be totally wrong.

Quick Reply: Ground clearance?