Sponsored by:

Ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
My last gt3 had the same extended inner wheel housing. I believe this was designed to keep the frontal air directed away from the inner well and to create an exit for the circulating air within the well. As I stated above, I believe with the 991 3 Porsche added deflectors to further re-direct and ease air flow entering from the front. This also allows the wheel well air to exit undisturbed. Reasons: less parasitic drag? Better brake cooling, however, minimal? Complete speculation on my part. I could be totally wrong.
.2 just had a plastic strip in front of the wheel which was bendy and so no big deal. 991 is quite different with these plastic boxy plastic things which I'm sure will crack or just break if you ground out hard enough which is t difficult. It's odd they are lower than the front splitter...
Old 01-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
My last gt3 had the same extended inner wheel housing. I believe this was designed to keep the frontal air directed away from the inner well and to create an exit for the circulating air within the well. As I stated above, I believe with the 991 3 Porsche added deflectors to further re-direct and ease air flow entering from the front. This also allows the wheel well air to exit undisturbed. Reasons: less parasitic drag? Better brake cooling, however, minimal?

Complete speculation on my part. I could be totally wrong.
Or you could be totally right. Missed your speculation about air deflectors prior to my post. More wasted bandwidth on my part....
Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
.2 just had a plastic strip in front of the wheel which was bendy and so no big deal. 991 is quite different with these plastic boxy plastic things which I'm sure will crack or just break if you ground out hard enough which is t difficult. It's odd they are lower than the front splitter...
Completely agree. Maybe I wasn't clear in the way I wrote my reply, sorry. I realize the 'ramps/deflectors' were not there on the .2s. just the inner wheel well liner which extended down similar to the 991. My scraped all the time, fast corners with modest dips, road debris, whatever. A little road rash but certainly no big deal.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:41 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Or you could be totally right. Missed your speculation about air deflectors prior to my post. More wasted bandwidth on my part....
lol.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Tryptomine
Instructor

Btw is it possible to lift the car while driving ? Or i must stop and lift it up? Also how long it takes to lift it ? (On GT3 991)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tryptomine
Btw is it possible to lift the car while driving ? Or i must stop and lift it up? Also how long it takes to lift it ? (On GT3 991)
It is possible to lift while driving. The manual states the cut off as 30mph for manual lifting or automatic lowering, but mine will lift and stay up until about 39mph. When the pump reservoir is fully charged, as it should be while driving, it takes a little over 1 second to raise the nose.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:08 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It is possible to lift while driving. The manual states the cut off as 30mph for manual lifting or automatic lowering, but mine will lift and stay up until about 39mph. When the pump reservoir is fully charged, as it should be while driving, it takes a little over 1 second to raise the nose.
That's incredibly fast! I've used one in a 458--also fast, but not quite as.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0Q991
That's incredibly fast! I've used one in a 458--also fast, but not quite as.
Yeah Tim, I demonstrated it for my daughter a while back and it does it so quickly that she missed seeing it the first time and I had to repeat!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah Tim, I demonstrated it for my daughter a while back and it does it so quickly that she missed seeing it the first time and I had to repeat!
I'm very glad I specced it. Even if the cost is high compared to number of replacement lips, it's a personal preference / utility thing for me--I hate bottoming out or scraping. We'll worth the cost.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Tryptomine
Instructor

Wow )) will definately order it , thanks
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a picture posted showing a GT3 being loaded onto a tow truck for engine replacement, the picture was a close up of the front lip clearance. Does anyone remember the picture? Could someone repost or point me to that picture?

Also, Now that cars are starting to be driven after engine replacement, has anyone attempted to load their car into or onto a trailer? How did it go? Did you have lift or not? Was lift necessary to load?

Thx,
Ryan
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
There was a picture posted showing a GT3 being loaded onto a tow truck for engine replacement, the picture was a close up of the front lip clearance. Does anyone remember the picture? Could someone repost or point me to that picture?

Also, Now that cars are starting to be driven after engine replacement, has anyone attempted to load their car into or onto a trailer? How did it go? Did you have lift or not? Was lift necessary to load?

Thx,
Ryan
Ryan, not sure if these are the pics, but maybe these will help with what you are looking for...btw, this car has the nose lift feature, and it is activated here.
Jeff
Attached Images      
Old 07-06-2014, 01:38 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx JCBH those are the pics. Hunted for a couple hours last night and just couldn't run across them.

My lift has 8' approach ramps, but my enclosed trailer includes ramps that place the car at 24" total height off the ground. These provide full access to the undercarriage at the track. Even with 12' of approach ramp and beavertail I am a bit concerned. A commercial rollback looks close with lift and would require creative blocking and shimming without.

My delayed build locks at the end of the month. Currently leaning towards paying up for the lift even though every engineering instinct in me is saying keep it simple.

Ryan
Old 07-06-2014, 01:42 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Thx JCBH those are the pics. Hunted for a couple hours last night and just couldn't run across them. My lift has 8' approach ramps, but my enclosed trailer includes ramps that place the car at 24" total height off the ground. These provide full access to the undercarriage at the track. Even with 12' of approach ramp and beavertail I am a bit concerned. A commercial rollback looks close with lift and would require creative blocking and shimming without. My delayed build locks at the end of the month. Currently leaning towards paying up for the lift even though every engineering instinct in me is saying keep it simple. Ryan
I think the lift is great, and this generation seems faster than the last - I use it all the time. Better to have it, I think, than not. Even the flatbed driver loading the car in the pics said he was glad we had the lift - made that little bit of difference and made it far easier.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

These pics look familiar. This would not have gone well without the lift. Lift is up position.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Ground clearance?