Sponsored by:

Ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:53 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ground clearance?

What is ground clearance like on the 991 gt3? vs the 458? (both stock)

The 458 clears normal speed bumps very comfortably (without lifter). I am not concerned about unusual or exceptional inclines or declines.

Will the 991 Gt3 get its lip chewed by every day speed bumps?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had no experience with a 458, but my 997.2 S with sport chassis which had a suspension 1/2" taller than the GT3 and had no deep chin spoiler would scrape the fairings in front of the wheels consistently. And if those fairings scrape, a chin spoiler absolutely would have. Some folks say they don't have issues, but I just don't see how I could own a 991 GT3 for the places I drive without a lift.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is the combination of low front ground clearance + long front overhang. Your 458 is a short overhang design, and but long front overhang of 911 sucks in transitions, like a transition from the street to a driveway/ramp. Both my prior 996 and 997 GT3s were a PITA around town for this reason.

So I opted for the lifter.

I never had any ground clearance issues on my Modena 360; not sure how the 430 compares but likely similar.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've had no experience with a 458, but my 997.2 S with sport chassis which had a suspension 1/2" taller than the GT3 and had no deep chin spoiler would scrape the fairings in front of the wheels consistently. And if those fairings scrape, a chin spoiler absolutely would have. Some folks say they don't have issues, but I just don't see how I could own a 991 GT3 for the places I drive without a lift.
I can understand not being able to drive without a lifter in the SF area. But if you are in a flat area with just normal road bumps, a car designed for the street should clear those. The problem with the lifter is forgetting or not bothering to use it, and only realizing after the fact that one should have engaged it. A steep incline would be a red alert to use it, but if living in a city with endless speed bumps, one would need the lifter engaged all the time which is not practical I think.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frayed
like a transition from the street to a driveway/ramp.
Fortunately I don't have to contend with any of those. Just run of the mill speed bumps and plenty of those.

I could opt for a lifter, but I know I will forget to use it sooner or later.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by aamersa
I can understand not being able to drive without a lifter in the SF area. But if you are in a flat area with just normal road bumps, a car designed for the street should clear those. The problem with the lifter is forgetting or not bothering to use it, and only realizing after the fact that one should have engaged it. A steep incline would be a red alert to use it, but if living in a city with endless speed bumps, one would need the lifter engaged all the time which is not practical I think.
Originally Posted by aamersa
Fortunately I don't have to contend with any of those. Just run of the mill speed bumps and plenty of those.

I could opt for a lifter, but I know I will forget to use it sooner or later.
I don't actually live in SF; up in the Wine Country where I am roads are like most areas of the country I expect, if perhaps not as well maintained, which a lifter won't really help with. I do have a fairly steep driveway with a rather abrupt transition from the street which would be problematic for me on a daily basis.

And it's the driveway and parking lot entrance transitions, even in otherwise flat areas, that are the issue. Also, as frayed mentions, the relatively long front overhang and spoiler add to the problem. I'm sure there will be times when I'll forget to use the lift, or where it won't help, but usually the effect of scraping is cumulative and I want to be able to avoid it whenever possible. The extra 15 lbs of the lift unit is negligible and the money is better spent on it than some other options I can think of.....
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

I have owned 360's and 430's (coupe and Spiders) and never had a problem with clearance. I do not know if the 991GT3 has a lower and longer overhang but I opted not to get the lifter. FWIW, the 997 GT3 lifter had mechanical problems. Either way, whether you get the lifter or not you will scrape the front end. It is part of the high performance sport car experience.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

I have some questions about the front axle lift option:

1) Can it lower/raise the front end when the car is moving? If so, is there a maximum speed where it would not work?
2) If the front end is raised, will it automatically lower the front end if the car is driven above a certain speed?
3) Is it possible to park the car with the front end raised?.....or will it automatically lower the front end after a period of time?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
I have some questions about the front axle lift option:

1) Can it lower/raise the front end when the car is moving? If so, is there a maximum speed where it would not work?
2) If the front end is raised, will it automatically lower the front end if the car is driven above a certain speed?
3) Is it possible to park the car with the front end raised?.....or will it automatically lower the front end after a period of time?
1. Yes, it will work up to approx. 30mph
2. Yes, above 30 mph
3. Porsche says that the system cannot maintain itself in the raised position with the engine off and that damage can occur "through uncontrolled lowering of the front axle at engine standstill". I suspect this relates more to something accidentally getting in the way rather than damage to the lift components themselves, but in any event, they say that the car should always be parked in the lowered position.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11-19-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

lift is a must. I scrape my current GT3 that has no lift everytime I eneter a steep driveway. Slowing down helps with the big shock of scraping sound but still scrapes. Entering at angle helps a little depending on drop size.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

I tried a 997 GT3 (more supple and as livable than my track oriented 78 SC). I could not negotiate my driveway and so went with a 991C2S with Sport PASM. So far I have lost its spoiler just once. If I make it to a GT3 it will have the lift kit for sure.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

To you guys who can live w/o the lifter, hats off to you.

Bottom line my 360, which was low, never scraped b/c of the short overhang. Same with my slammed BMW running Motons. But both my Gt3's w/o lift were an f'n PITA just entering/exiting typical gas station inclines due to the long nose.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

I think the lift option will actually play a large role in resale values. I was looking at a beautiful 997.1 white RS with pccb and every interior farkle I could imagine (yellow everything, carbon everything etc).. Guy was selling for $97k.. I asked him ab driving in the city and he literally said "don't bother, it's impossible without ruining it or driving 10mph looking for potholes and big dips". I passed on it.

Dealer told me "the only absolutely must-have option is front lift"... On 997 it was necessary, or 991 it's mandatory (longer wheelbase/longer front overhang)

I'm pretty sure the adrenaline junkies who go without speccing front lift will sorely regret it.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:57 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

So here is another question to those who have experience with the front axle lift system......with this option present, how good is it?.....In other words, with the front end raised, can you go over speed bumps, climb inclined parking driveways, etc, without a single worry or bother like most other cars?........or do you still have to be very careful about the speed and angle you approach these things?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:04 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Never had an issue with a 997 GT3 around here. The 997.2 GT3RS was another story - the lip scraped often. The front end lift helped some, but I still had to watch the speed and approach angle. If I remember right, it would revert to normal ride height above 30mph anyway.

Did not order it with the 991.

Quick Reply: Ground clearance?