Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jump on the bandwagon or wait for the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:54 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malmasri
Why is this thread still open?......
Good question.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 AM
ayousef
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
All right. I'll respond. Once. Only to make it more clear that we just have a very different view on cars. Very.

If that's what you want, your solution is simple. Get them all, Dubai-style! First get yourself a 991 GT3, which will be the best for a little while. Then swap it for a 991 GT3 RS. Then possible get the 991.2 GT3. But certainly get the 991.2 GT3 RS. And so on. And so on. You made it clear that you have earned yourself the money to do so.

Sure, power to weight is crucial. But if your solution to that is adding huge amounts of horsepower to very heavy cars to get a good ratio, we're clearly talking on different wavelengths. Hence the remark about the Lotus cars by some of us earlier, where their founder Colin Chapman's adage was "Simplify, then add lightness".

If you want a beast of car, why do consider a GT3? Or even an RS? It might be my personal opinion, but these are not beasts to me. But delicate, pure and focused driving machines.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree here. As often as (safely!) possible, I want to use all my cars' potential, since for me, that's the whole point of buying it to start with! Being that on the track, on deserted mountain roads in the UAE, on the German Autobahn, on the Nurburgring. What's the point of having it otherwise? If I would use my little 1M like a 116i all the time, I might as well get myself one of those. Capabilities unused are capabilities wasted to me, which applies to pretty much everything in life.

And please don't start about Veyron owners. The vast majority (95% or so) of the owners buy that car solely because they can. And because they want to rave and brag about it. Some because they admire the engineering qualities. But almost none because they are real driving enthusiasts. And I'd argue that the people on this forum are. In their / our own little way.

I'll help your case by not responding to this two...

okay if Lotus were the wisest then im unsure why they are filing for bankruptcy

If less was more then im unsure why Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Porsche hell I cant state each and every car maker on the planet all choose to add more to enhance the driving experience.

Regarding the argument about a 116 and a 1M, does driving both make you feel the same? hell no. A crocodile bag and a plastic bag both achieve the same end result, why spend more? Why do some car enthusiasts collect rare cars, but they'll never drive them or push them on twisties?

Depending on how I like the Porsche Ill know wether id want another Porsche because im really waiting for the high performance variant of the C7 corvette however after they release the dual clutch transmission which is in the works. Unvieling of this model will take place in January.

Bottom line is, you can have your opinion, the other BRZ dude can have his own opinion but don't hate or try to force your opinions on cars as facts because they certainly are not, people have different tastes and unless you acknowledge this im unsure how you make it on day to day basis. This whole thread reminds me of two people arguing whether Tomato Ketchup tasted good, they never reached an agreement, why? Because its called taste.

Unfortunately there are probably only two people who actually answered my question in 4 pages of otherwise useless discussions.

Anyways, I already placed my order for the GT3 and expected arrival is April. I think it was the only guards red GT3 on the list.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:06 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
Anyways, I already placed my order for the GT3 and expected arrival is April. I think it was the only guards red GT3 on the list.
Congrats! I would also order the GT3 in guards red. I have already owned the 991 C2S in that color. It looks great.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why dont you buy 4.0RS if you want the Monster?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Young arab from wealthy family who needs hp and no plan to track the car or learn to drive it well ... how else could this thread turn out?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bce_1357533657
Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by Manifold
Young arab from wealthy family who needs hp and no plan to track the car or learn to drive it well ... how else could this thread turn out?

LiveLeak.com - Millionaire Boy Racers of London in HD
ummm and why does that bother you? What does being Arab have to do with any of this? What if I was Asian or African? What does coming from a wealthy family have anything to do with it either. Im simply trying to understand your concern here. So much hate in this thread I even had a few members send me messages telling me not to worry about all the hate going on in this thread.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macca
Why dont you buy 4.0RS if you want the Monster?
my choices for vehicles all had to be brand new off the show room floor with warrantee until I decide to modify the car that is. Also it seems like the 991 GT3 beats or at least matches the RS 4.0 in almost all categories? Finally im in love with the PDK-S, that itself could be a deal breaker, I have other manual transmission cars to enjoy

Anyways like I said I already booked the car and paid the downpayment so no turning back now
Old 11-11-2013, 02:49 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by aamersa
Congrats! I would also order the GT3 in guards red. I have already owned the 991 C2S in that color. It looks great.
thanks! I also went with the contrasting red stitching, guards red gauges and chrono package and red seat belts. I did go with the clubsport package (for the cage) however will end up removing the 6point harness since I barely see myself using it.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did go with the clubsport package (for the cage) however will end up removing the 6point harness since I barely see myself using it.
Then what the heck is the cage for??
Old 11-11-2013, 03:09 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Then what the heck is the cage for??
factory seatbelt and cage is still safer than factory seatbelt and no cage, and although I don't usually think of this but having the harness with me might boost the sales value of the car should I decide to sell it later to a track junkie.

Edited: Since ive only driven a 911 for a few minutes, you never know I might man-up and take it to the track.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

ummm and why does that bother you? What does being Arab have to do with any of this? What if I was Asian or African? What does coming from a wealthy family have anything to do with it either. Im simply trying to understand your concern here. So much hate in this thread I even had a few members send me messages telling me not to worry about all the hate going on in this thread.
ayousef, since you posted your thoughts and POV in a public forum you can expect that you might get some pushback from our opinionated RL community, especially when you've asked for advice. However, while we may disagree respectfully it shouldn't get personal, and you're absolutely right that your cultural or financial status should have nothing to do with it.

Moving on, since you mentioned that you ordered red gauges, consider that the TFT color screen in the instrument display will still be black regardless. To my mind, that will look mismatched with the other gauges in red. Just a thought. Congrats and good luck with your order.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
ayousef, since you posted your thoughts and POV in a public forum you can expect that you might get some pushback from our opinionated RL community, especially when you've asked for advice. However, while we may disagree respectfully it shouldn't get personal, and you're absolutely right that your cultural or financial status should have nothing to do with it.

Moving on, since you mentioned that you ordered red gauges, consider that the TFT color screen in the instrument display will still be black regardless. To my mind, that will look mismatched with the other gauges in red. Just a thought. Congrats and good luck with your order.
Thanks Mike, im okay with differing opinions, I just didn't understand the name calling, the assumptions (that I don't know how to drive) or why some are trying to enforce their idea of how a car should be or school me on what I should do, I wouldnt be surprised if the next thing I know someone's telling me how to live my life. I just asked a very simple question and if you follow the thread I barely got any answers, not a very welcoming crowd I must admit.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it, I thought of the LCD screen however ive seen the red gauges on my friends Carrera S and a Cayenne GTS and with the screen on you don't really notice the mismatch The sales rep said that out of all the orders this was the highest specced car so ill make sure to take some nice pics of the car and show if off on the forums when I get it, now all I have to do it wait and im not really good at that.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks! I also went with the contrasting red stitching, guards red gauges and chrono package and red seat belts. I did go with the clubsport package (for the cage) however will end up removing the 6point harness since I barely see myself using it.
You do realize that the clubsport package is a much sought after option by US customers but has never been available there due to DOT regulations? I don't expect that to change in the future.

Personally I am not a big fan of colored gauges. But the other interior accents especially the red stitching are very cool. And the chrono wart, you just have to get it, coz it's a porsche. I agree.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by aamersa
You do realize that the clubsport package is a much sought after option by US customers but has never been available there due to DOT regulations? I don't expect that to change in the future.

Personally I am not a big fan of colored gauges. But the other interior accents especially the red stitching is very cool. And the chrono wart, you just have to get it, coz it's a porsche. I agree.
yeah I found out today after going through some of the threads. I guess the cage poses a risk to the driver/passenger that is not wearing a seat belt.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

yeah I found out today after going through some of the threads. I guess the cage poses a risk to the driver/passenger that is not wearing a seat belt.
I think a cage is really only safe with a harness (and preferably a helmet too).

Quick Reply: Jump on the bandwagon or wait for the RS?