Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you going to drive your PDK GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 AM
ethel19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How are you going to drive your PDK GT3?

In a recent article in Excellence with David Donahue driving the new GT3 he states that he always drives a PDK Porsche in auto mode and doesn't bother with flipping the paddles. I also noticed the same with Motor Trends videos showing the same method employed at Laguna Seca when the PDK Porsches have been driven on the track there.
I just wonder, how are most of you new GT3 owners planing on driving your new GT3's when you get them. These race car drivers like Randy Pobst and David Donahue claim the PDK just does a better job being left in auto mode then shifting using the paddles. Any thoughts on this?
If this has been covered in another thread please forgive me.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

I intend to use the paddles. I found the auto mode suited my 997 Turbo S, but the Carreras I've driven have definitely needed manual persuasion if one is in a hurry. Actually, I've found when driving a Carrera that the centre gearshift is more satisfying to use than the paddles once serious wheel twirling begins. I suspect this will be the case with the GT3 as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhh
Actually, I've found when driving a Carrera that the centre gearshift is more satisfying to use than the paddles once serious wheel twirling begins. I suspect this will be the case with the GT3 as well.
I'm sure it will be, also because for the GT3, finally, the gear lever logic (push for down, pull for up) is properly applied.

I expect that I'll be in automatic mode in traffic or on boring highway stretches, but apart from those moments of required civilization / boredom and especially when going for it on one of my Saturday drives, it will be nothing but paddles. Whether the central gear level comes into play too, I don't know yet. That'll depend on the engagement and feel that ones gives as compared to the paddles...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in traffic where it takes me 1 1/2 to get 23 miles into downtown Seattle - Auto- Freeway auto - all back road- or pissed off in traffic manual sport, track manual. Will try auto on track just to see. The downshift will be interesting to see.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I will do the downshifts and let the automode do the upshifts.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

I've tracked my 991 Carrera S (PDK, SPASM, PDCC, SC, Etc) both with manual shifting and in Auto mode. Although the lap times were very close in both modes, Auto mode let me concentrate on the numerous other factors that went into a fast lap. Any attempt to "beat" the computer proved pretty pointless. On the street, when mired in boring traffic or cutting curves, I'll play with manual shifting in all 3 modes (Normal, Sport and Sport Plus) just to make the ride more interesting. Usually I just let the PDK do its thing while I enjoy some great music. I suspect I'll do the same in my new GT3. Unfortunately, most Florida roads lack the excitement of the great Northeastern Mountain or Western Canyon roads that I really loved driving sportscars on. Fortunately the proximity to local tracks make up for some of that.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

When I converted my cup car to paddle shifters I started to drive my street car (Audi RS5) in manual mode only so that I'd get used to shifting with paddles. Now I have trouble driving in auto because I paddle shift anyway. I find that the Audi in auto still shifts when I don't want it to so I prefer manual mode. I'll have to see how the PDK S system works in the GT3 but it's going to be tough to not shift it manually now that I'm in the habit of doing so all the time. I have definitely found that keeping both hands on the wheel is a huge benefit while on the track.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

In my last dual clutch vehicle, I used manual mode on the street. Reason being was that the computer algorithm for shifting can never predict what manner/style/situation you encounter when street driving.

On the track I would go full auto in s-sport (sport +) mode and it would shift perfectly everywhere at any track. The only time it would screw up was when I screwed up a corner. Shifting manually on track turns out to be superfluous as the auto mode does it perfectly for you so you can concentrate on your marks.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

On the street, 95% manual mode, the exception being the occasional heavy freeway traffic situation. For autocrossing I almost always used Sport+ auto mode in my Carrera. Being so used to a MT for autox, I tried shifting for myself when I first got PDK, but as others have mentioned PDK did such a great job I was faster when left to concentrate on other aspects of my driving.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

will be interesting to hear how it really works out. i have gtr and i usually leave it in auto for street. on track i use paddles bc i feel the transmission shifts too much in auto. i have feeling pdk will be better on track in auto. gtr trans used to be state art but now needs upgrade
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These responses make me sad
Old 11-04-2013, 01:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
will be interesting to hear how it really works out. i have gtr and i usually leave it in auto for street. on track i use paddles bc i feel the transmission shifts too much in auto. i have feeling pdk will be better on track in auto. gtr trans used to be state art but now needs upgrade
I've driven a GTR on track and agree that it needs to be driven in manual mode. The automatic algorithm on the GTR is suprisingly no good.

On my old Evo X MR SST and on sport + on Porsches, the auto algorithm is perfect.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've gone through this before - my experience:

You need to drive only in manual on the street - I'm going to force myself, even in traffic, to keep it in manual and use the stick now that the shift logic is not reversed from what I've used in race cars.

As soon as you let yourself use auto mode once, you'll always be using auto and then you've made the car boring for 95% of your street driving.

On the track, you can use auto because you are engaged with everything else going on and it's not a let down.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

P = Park
R = Reverse
D = Drive

Fully expect the driver of the first one I see on the street to be texting or tweeting....
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I think nearly all users will end up using Auto mode, even if they intend to use Manual going in. I think the programming is good enough not to need any manual intervention on the road or track. Once people realize there is nothing to be gained by activating the electric switches themselves, they'll give it up.

Quick Reply: How are you going to drive your PDK GT3?