Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you going to drive your PDK GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013 | 05:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think nearly all users will end up using Auto mode, even if they intend to use Manual going in. I think the programming is good enough not to need any manual intervention on the road or track. Once people realize there is nothing to be gained by activating the electric switches themselves, they'll give it up.
FWIW, that hasn't been my experience. What's gained by operating the paddles yourself is the same thing that's gained by shifting a MT for yourself; more individual control over the car, and the potential for more fun when the situation warrants it. Someone who is inclined to become "lazy" using auto mode just because it's there probably shouldn't be buying this car in the first place. There are better options for them....
Old 11-04-2013 | 06:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Someone who is inclined to become "lazy" using auto mode just because it's there probably shouldn't be buying this car in the first place. There are better options for them....
Maybe I'm wrong - let's see how you feel after you own the car awhile.
Old 11-04-2013 | 06:51 PM
911dev
Drifting

Maybe I'm wrong - let's see how you feel after you own the car awhile.
well... he has owned a PDK equipped 911S for a while and still drives it that way.

Same way I intend to drive it. I will likely never use auto mode; NEVER...
Old 11-04-2013 | 06:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911dev
well... he has owned a PDK equipped 911S for a while and still drives it that way.

Exactly. For 4 years, until I sold it a couple of months ago....
Old 11-04-2013 | 07:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dev

I am a diehard manual guy. I had a 981 Cayman S PDK on loan for 24 hours and I tired of pressing the buttons in short order. Ended up just using Auto mode instead (I didn't enjoy the gearbox in either mode).

If I were to buy a 991 GT3, I would use it every week at the track. My guess is that I would use manual mode for the first hour or so and then just stick it in Auto thereafter (if it truly selects the proper ratio on up and downshifts in Race mode as had been described). Once I convinced myself that my laptimes were as good or better in Auto, I wouldn't see the point of Manual. I don't think it's fun to press an electric switch, so that part of manual involvement holds not particular value to me.
Old 11-04-2013 | 07:13 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

I am a diehard manual guy. I had a 981 Cayman S PDK on loan for 24 hours and I tired of pressing the buttons in short order. Ended up just using Auto mode instead (I didn't enjoy the gearbox in either mode).
The buttons are horrible. The paddles are better. But in 991 the PDK in sport mode is so much better, you can leave it in auto and it will do everything right (unless you find twitching your fingers exciting).

If I were to buy a 991 GT3, I would use it every week at the track. My guess is that I would use manual mode for the first hour or so and then just stick it in Auto thereafter (if it truly selects the proper ratio on up and downshifts in Race mode as had been described). Once I convinced myself that my laptimes were as good or better in Auto, I wouldn't see the point of Manual. I don't think it's fun to press an electric switch, so that part of manual involvement holds not particular value to me.
I had the fortune to ride next to a Porsche instructor at the Porsche road show thing, he left it in auto mode, I asked him why, he said it was faster than shifting by your self.
Old 11-04-2013 | 07:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
...in 991 the PDK in sport mode is so much better, you can leave it in auto and it will do everything right (unless you find twitching your fingers exciting).

I had the fortune to ride next to a Porsche instructor at the Porsche road show thing, he left it in auto mode, I asked him why, he said it was faster than shifting by your self.
Yes, and I imagine that Race mode in the GT3 is better still (leaving less of a reason not to just let PDK shift for you). It's not out of laziness - at some point, there just isn't advantage to manual mode in PDK.

If PDK could anticipate your intentions perfectly (100% correct gear selection, including timing of the shift), would anyone still crave the involvement of pulling the electronic paddle switch?
Old 11-04-2013 | 07:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I understand your personal preference and for sure wouldn't argue that point. I also get why you might want to use auto mode at the track and I agree. On the street, though, I find manual mode to be not just more fun but fun period, especially once you start to explore the ways you can use it. After driving MT's for 40 years it took a lot more than 24 hours for me to gain an appreciation for that. Just me; YMMV.
Old 11-04-2013 | 07:34 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

If PDK could anticipate your intentions perfectly (100% correct gear selection, including timing of the shift), would anyone still crave the involvement of pulling the electronic paddle switch?
Cue GPS assisted transmissions - which is already in RR and I believe Audi A6/8.
Old 11-04-2013 | 07:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
After driving MT's for 40 years it took a lot more than 24 hours for me to gain an appreciation for that. Just me; YMMV.
Maybe you're right. I haven't had that much exposure to the system (and none with PDK-S). I tend to doubt it, but I'll try to remain open to the possibility
Old 11-04-2013 | 07:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Fair enough.
Old 11-04-2013 | 10:14 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

I've tracked my 991 a lot. The auto mode is best on track for reasons stated above. On the street I usually use manual, unless i'm lazy or distracted, then i'll use auto. Allan
Old 11-05-2013 | 12:06 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

I'm going to drive mine naked.
Might be the only way to make PDK exciting.
Old 11-05-2013 | 01:39 AM
mhh
Instructor

High revving cars with a double clutch aren't always fun in auto mode. My 458 hates auto mode once the pace quickens and demands to be used manually. It's no hardship.
Old 11-05-2013 | 10:48 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

If it really is as good as they claim, I'd just leave it in auto. Only time I ever manually shift in a auto transmission is when I want to downshift for engine braking and being in the power band for a corner. If it does this correctly then there is no point manually doing it. Pressing hard on the gas pedal all ready causes it to drop into the correct gear for acceleration so I rarely ever need to manually shift for that. I prefer the paddles to the gear selector unless it was a H pattern gated shifter.

Quick Reply: How are you going to drive your PDK GT3?