Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT. New m3/m4

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014 | 09:21 PM
mtuttle
Advanced

Originally Posted by silverrules
Most of my daughter friends love BMW's usually 3 series. I am sure she will like this better than 3 series. She is driving a Audi A4 and ready for a new car she says
Lol! We just traded my daughter's A4 for the 335. She likes the 335 way better of course. 300hp vs. 200, who wouldn't.
Old 01-25-2014 | 10:09 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranger22
are you serious? I'm surprised the M3 engine overheating problems. fried tires, fried brakes and overheating engine -> Maybe he left the parking brake on? I own an M3 that I used to track. In my experience, only the brakes were a weak link on the car. However, maybe I just drive too slow. I've certainly never made my M3 go to limp mode on the way to the grocery store.
kid you not! Wasn't my observation, it came straight from the owners mouth... We were sharing a garage and I asked him why he kept coming in mid session, this was his explanation...
Old 01-25-2014 | 10:36 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrJay
Ugly...

deleted

Last edited by 911dev; 01-25-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2014 | 11:32 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtuttle
Lol! We just traded my daughter's A4 for the 335. She likes the 335 way better of course. 300hp vs. 200, who wouldn't.
Cool, she must be so excited A4 is a nice safe car too. The only issue was the Oil consumption which is much better now after the fixes and software upgrade.
Old 01-26-2014 | 03:07 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by aamersa
Sure, I don't disagree with you and others that the m 3/4 is probably a wife car. Of course bmw enthusiasts will hate this comment.

Glad you got a kick out of my statement but I was not kidding. Just try driving a red sports car where I am and you have people engaging you in some contest every day. I experienced it to a lesser extent with my red 991 and much more now with the 458. Must be the damn color. Also I have been on several out of town drives along with 911 turbo driver, again people join in and want to race you. I need every bit of hp when that happens.
We're clearly on different wavelengths! I'm not buying her the new M3 because it's a wife's car. I'm buying it for her because I don't need another car myself. Out of curiosity, if you define the M3 as a wife's car, what's my 1M? A girl's car? I can assure you that most of my friends with a lot faster cars (458s, 12C, GTR, 911s, Gran Tourismo) failed to stay close to its cartoonishly fat behind in our spirited drives (not races!) on the deserted mountain roads in Fujeirah, regardless of their excess HP.

I don't race on the roads, anywhere. Because it is boring as hell, especially in the straight line (where only the size of your wallet dictates who's fastest). Because it is not safe. Because I'm not 12, as Manifold correctly pointed out. And because there are far too many people here with truckloads more money than driving skills and I don't want them to crash them into me.

But IF I would, from experience I know that I don't need more HP to win. I would only need 2 or 3 challenging corners.

BTW, my Ferrari 458 Speciale is white. Just so I can avoid those races more easily...
Old 01-26-2014 | 03:11 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You're not doing anything to help the stereotyping of sports car owners in dubai....:
Please allow me to respectfully distance myself from this stereotype, even though I realize that I'm grossly outnumbered in this town...
Old 01-26-2014 | 05:01 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TomTom77
We're clearly on different wavelengths! I'm not buying her the new M3 because it's a wife's car. I'm buying it for her because I don't need another car myself. Out of curiosity, if you define the M3 as a wife's car, what's my 1M? A girl's car? I can assure you that most of my friends with a lot faster cars (458s, 12C, GTR, 911s, Gran Tourismo) failed to stay close to its cartoonishly fat behind in our spirited drives (not races!) on the deserted mountain roads in Fujeirah, regardless of their excess HP.

I don't race on the roads, anywhere. Because it is boring as hell, especially in the straight line (where only the size of your wallet dictates who's fastest). Because it is not safe. Because I'm not 12, as Manifold correctly pointed out. And because there are far too many people here with truckloads more money than driving skills and I don't want them to crash them into me.

But IF I would, from experience I know that I don't need more HP to win. I would only need 2 or 3 challenging corners.

BTW, my Ferrari 458 Speciale is white. Just so I can avoid those races more easily...
Granted driver skill is far more important than hp on the challenging twisties.

But since all of us are not blessed with the extreme driving skills you possess, we have to just make do with better acceleration times.

I can't comment on the 1M as it is a very limited production car that seems to get rave reviews. It is also manual trans. But I can say that if your exact clone were driving the 1M in Fujeirah and you were driving the 12C, 458 or even Gt3, the 1M would be doing the chasing for sure.

True there will always be fatter wallets out there. But I honestly commend you on getting a brand new GT3, 458S and M3 in the same calender year. Life is good.

Last edited by aamersa; 01-26-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2014 | 05:07 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You're not doing anything to help the stereotyping of sports car owners in dubai....
Let me break it to you guys, there is no such thing as a stereotypical sports car owner in Dubai. With well over 150 nationalities in this cosmopolitan city, all from different walks of lives and completely different ways of thinking. The "locals" comprise not much more than 10% of the population. Some here prefer to drive their aventadors at 60 km/hr in a 100k zone while others launch their 911 to north of 250 km/hr on an open stretch of highway free of speed cameras. Others prefer to take their cars to the tracks or to mountain twisties and enjoy the g forces. A very diverse bunch of sports car owners here.

Last edited by aamersa; 01-26-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2014 | 07:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Let me break it to you guys, there is no such thing as a stereotypical sports car owner in Dubai. With well over 150 nationalities in this cosmopolitan city, all from different walks of lives and completely different ways of thinking. The "locals" comprise not much more than 10% of the population. Some here prefer to drive their aventadors at 60 km/hr in a 100k zone while others launch their 911 to north of 250 km/hr on an open stretch of highway free of speed cameras. Others prefer to take their cars to the tracks or to mountain twisties and enjoy the g forces. A very diverse bunch of sports car owners here.
Your first name isnt Saeed is it?
Old 01-26-2014 | 11:10 AM
TomTom77
Racer

But since all of us are not blessed with the extreme driving skills you possess, we have to just make do with better acceleration times.
Trust me, I don't have extreme driving skills. Far from it. Like most men on this planet, I would argue mine are "better than average". Which is statistically impossible, but let's not go there...

I can't comment on the 1M as it is a very limited production car that seems to get rave reviews. It is also manual trans. But I can say that if your exact clone were driving the 1M in Fujeirah and you were driving the 12C, 458 or even Gt3, the 1M would be doing the chasing for sure.
For sure, the 1M would be doing the chasing in that group. But its driver would have a blast doing so, with a even bigger smile on his face that the 12C's driver, I know from personal experience... and I expect the M3 to be very similar!

You don't need supersonic driving skills to enjoy the cars you mentioned above. But buying them to merely show off (which, percentage-wise, is sadly what the majority of owners use them for here) is an complete waste of money and capability, IMHO. But for this majority, it seems that's their way of enjoying the car. And who am I to judge that? We just live in different car (ownership) galaxies, I guess...

Last edited by TomTom77; 01-26-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2014 | 11:15 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Please allow me to respectfully distance myself from this stereotype, even though I realize that I'm grossly outnumbered in this town...
You have.

Old 01-26-2014 | 12:14 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

This thread is now a joke. Street race? Bigger wallets? Come on.
Old 01-26-2014 | 12:20 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

What is a M3/4 thread doing on a Gt3 forum in the first place. I second having this entire thread deleted.
Old 01-26-2014 | 12:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

TomTom77,your logical way of thinking and great taste in cars for the best driving experience is clearly not in line with Dubai's trend.
Whoever says the 1M or M3/M4 are not fun or they're a girl's car have no idea what they're talking about...

Enjoy a great set of cars!
Old 01-26-2014 | 01:00 PM
TomTom77
Racer

I think there's nothing wrong with this tread. Well, the origin of it, that is.

The M3 and M4 will be, as always, proper and practical performance cars for the roads. Not for all tracks though, in all conditions. But go to the Nurburgring and what do you find there? Porsche and BMW, together probably about two-thirds of the cars on the track. And please ignore the cars that are left in the parking lot all day to, again, show off!

In most parts of the world, they are also in a completely different price bracket as compared to the GT3 and hence proper value-for-money! Less so here, sadly. I expect the new M3 to be around 80% of the GT3's base price here.

Oh, and available with a manual. Sadly my wife prefers the DCT (in traffic), even though she has driven manuals all here life and still does. I am quite tempted to make a 'mistake' in the ordering process and 'accidentally' end up with a manual... ;-)

Quick Reply: OT. New m3/m4