Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Options in Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:11 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parking garage + speedbumps getting to it + my driveway all require lift or I have to cross each transition at crazy angles at slow speed. These maneuvers add to the douchebag factor of driving not only a new porsche, but a GT3 in a bright color.

Gimme lift so I can drive like a normal person over day to day obstacles.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have Mike driveway I understand why you want it.

That being said the 991 GT3 appears reasonably high in most of the real life and press photos Ive seen. Its definitely higher than my 993 with RS suspension and height and I manage just fine (being careful) although I have a few scrapes under the bumper.

One thing I have noticed but have not established 100% is that the photos I have on file of teh cars with front lift to appear to sit a bit higher at the front static. Im not 100% its the front lift but i suspect it may account for a slightly higher static stance. I prefer the wheel gaps to be even all round.

I have heard of many reliability issues with the past lift system so lets hope its better now. Also it adds weight but hows counting anyway....
Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

I keep my P cars for such a long time that the reliability issue is one of the reasons I'm not doing it. (cost of maintenance, weight adds, electrical gadgets are on my list of things I don't want to deal with on my GT3).
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Also it adds weight but hows counting anyway....
15 pounds......
Old 07-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

About the same weight as the RWS system that AP was so cautious about trading weight for performance gains then....
Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

True for the actuators and linkage, although if you count the heavier battery that's required the entire RWS system supposedly costs 15KG or 33 lbs. I wish I could get by without the cost, weight, and added complexity of the axle lift, but I just can't...
Old 07-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
True for the actuators and linkage, although if you count the heavier battery that's required the entire RWS system supposedly costs 15KG or 33 lbs. I wish I could get by without the cost, weight, and added complexity of the axle lift, but I just can't...
IMHO it is too bad you can't because I think in the longterm it will be a high cost of maintenance device on top of the added weight.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gros Chien
IMHO it is too bad you can't because I think in the longterm it will be a high cost of maintenance device on top of the added weight.
I guess I could park my car at the bottom of my driveway and leave it there but I think it deserves to be in my garage. Besides, an added 15 pounds down low and at the front end of a 911 isn't necessarily a terrible thing. In any event it is what it is.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gros Chien
Weight = about two gallons of fuel. One cannot detect such a difference in weight even on track.

Maintenance: that's an assumption based on the 997 lifts. Remains to be seen. But I believe the 997's fail in the 'down' position. So if it cost too much to fix outside of warranty, you leave it in that position and remove the 15 lbs of hardware. Eh.

In any event, I have faith that Porsche fixed any design flaws in the 997 lift.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Weight = about two gallons of fuel. One cannot detect such a difference in weight even on track.

Maintenance: that's an assumption based on the 997 lifts. Remains to be seen. But I believe the 997's fail in the 'down' position. So if it cost too much to fix outside of warranty, you leave it in that position and remove the 15 lbs of hardware. Eh.

In any event, I have faith that Porsche fixed any design flaws in the 997 lift.
Weight? ya! but in my case, and again that is my case, because I always keep my P cars for such a long time(± 10 years), I am aware of cost of maintenance for that particular device, on top of that, I don't need it. EH!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think its worth the coin for those that need it. The weight isnt a major issue given the non sports seats etc also are heavy...
Old 09-22-2013, 06:44 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Default Configurator Photos Interior Painted vs Leather

So close to getting the interior package figured out. Getting most of the interior painted options including the PCM as I think it might be too dark w/o it. I'm fine with a bit of a luxury/sport look as I want to do mostly road and some track days. -- of course that will probably change after my first track day, as it did w/ my bmw 1000rr (Never planned to race.. then within 6 mos.. full race set up, HP Race ECU/warranty voided etc.. and gets raced all summer LOL)..

In the comparison photo the the images on the
LEFT are for interior package leather.
RIGHT are for interior package painted.

Comment if you have some ideas. This interior package painted idea seems new this year. Never seen any cars in real-life with it.

Then Wheels. Want Matte Black-- but thought those mules looked cool. If those were the gloss black I could handle that. Hmmm. Just can't handle the GTS style wheels with the chrome ring around it. Have till Oct 10th .. to figure this one. Otherwise get them powder coated satin, or matte black. Dang.. Soo Close.. Hmmm... Wonder if you order gloss black, if they can Powder Coat matte or satin if you don't like the gloss? Hmm. that's an option.. ???

Last edited by LateBrake911; 12-20-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Anyone seen the gloss black wheel option in real life??
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just a thought. The door and dash trim come in aluminium with the standard leather upgrade package.

The "wart" (sport chrono) is pretty much redundant in the 991 GT3 specification as it has no bearing on launch control or dynamic mounts both which come standard with the car regardless of sport chronon. Its primary function is now as a lap timer with the ability to record information about laps for later comparison. It takes up dash space and looks awkward in most peoples point of view. The thing is a dedicated AIM Solo style window mounted unit will give you far better GPS plot information for your local track and can be downloaded and manipulated and stored giving far more useful data than simple lap times and g force. You can also compare with others using AIM Solo or Racelogic Performance Box type files.

In terms of the interior trim painted body colour. I cant understand why you wouldnt consider having this done post delivery. Your paint show could disassemble and paint that trim for a fraction of the price of the tequipment option price and you could then choose what is too much or not enough. For example I have a vinyl wrap guy on standby to wrap the back of my sport seats in white. They can be done without removing the seat or dissembling it. $200 a side, takes 2-3 hrs total. I have a cobra rear micro park sensor system my paint shop will be painting and installing for $600 all up includes the kit. There are a couple of small trim pieces I want painted so those will be done the same time for around $2-300.

As for wheels, if you want Matt black just get them in the factory Tiitanium colour and have them resprayed by your shop in Matt black. Probably around $200 a corner and much cheaper than the factory option which is gloss and IMHO would not look as good.

The thing is having this work performed after delivery is not only cheaper but you can then get a real life feel for what is too much etc. For example I feel the PCM surround in white will look too OTT and actually end up getting dirty and looking cheap compared to leaving it black although I like the idea of the center console/gear shift surround in white....
Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Lastly do you really want white dials? I had them ordered and cancelled them as soon as I saw what they look like in real life (not the configurator). Firstly one dial will always be black or multi coloured as it houses the LCD screen, so unlike previous generations having coloured dials does not give you a homogeneous look any longer. Secondly the white dials have cut outs for the symbols not uniform white with transparencies so they end up looking busy and broken up. See pictures below - in the end the GT3 signature dial pack with the grey center dial looks better and less "busy" and doesn't interrupt the eye...
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: New Options in Configurator