Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Options in Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:47 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche describes the standard trim as "Interior components in Brushed Aluminum: dashboard decorative trim and center console trim." When you add full leather, the door trim is done in the same material.

Anthracite is just a darker shade and that's why it only costs $325 to add this option.

I personally have my doubts as to whether either color of "aluminum" trim is in fact real aluminum.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
... When you add full leather, the door trim is done in the same material...
Just to clarify, when you add "Leather Interior in Black/Alcantara" for $3320, the door trim and cup holder trim remains in brushed aluminum.

If you then also add "Interior Package in Leather (i.c.w. Leather Interior)" for $790, the door trim and cup holder trim will be in black leather.

You can see this happen in the 3D view of the configurator when you make the choices.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Porsche describes the standard trim as "Interior components in Brushed Aluminum: dashboard decorative trim and center console trim." When you add full leather, the door trim is done in the same material.

Anthracite is just a darker shade and that's why it only costs $325 to add this option.

I personally have my doubts as to whether either color of "aluminum" trim is in fact real aluminum.
You may be right. Wish I could see an example of how the anthracite trim differs from the standard.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Obviously subjective, but personally I wouldn't spend $700-1200 for something that's going to be hidden 99% of the time and subject to scuffing. Likewise $625 for pedals.

I need the axle lift, and full leather (the "and leather interior") is a worthwhile add. $700 is a bargain for PCM with Nav and Sound Plus. GT Silver will be pricey but I like the color. Other than some of the $0 adds, (90L tank, smokers package to get the console lid, smooth leather wheel) that's it for me on the options.
Mike, what is your current build looking like? What options?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You may be right. Wish I could see an example of how the anthracite trim differs from the standard.
I was looking at the configurator with the anthracite aluminum option and may have found the answer to your question. If you pull that page from the configurator (sorry not sure how to post a picture), you will see standard aluminum trim around the nav screen and the A/C vent. The upper right corner (because of light reflection) best represents what the standard looks like, right next to the anthracite trim. I know this because I have standard aluminum trim in my C4S. See if that helps. I like the anthracite a lot and almost chose it but have asked oCarbon to make me a CF/red kevlar trim instead. If the pictures he showed are a good representation, it should flow well with the red stitching.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I was looking at the configurator with the anthracite aluminum option and may have found the answer to your question. If you pull that page from the configurator (sorry not sure how to post a picture), you will see standard aluminum trim around the nav screen and the A/C vent. The upper right corner (because of light reflection) best represents what the standard looks like, right next to the anthracite trim. I know this because I have standard aluminum trim in my C4S. See if that helps. I like the anthracite a lot and almost chose it but have asked oCarbon to make me a CF/red kevlar trim instead. If the pictures he showed are a good representation, it should flow well with the red stitching.
When I contacted Melissa with Porsche Exclusive, I asked a couple of questions about the aluminum trim options and one about the seatbacks. Here are the questions and her answers.

Question 1. In the configurator under the Interior Aluminum options, the option for

"Brushed Aluminum Interior package, Anthracite (i.c.w. Leather interior)" states that the items finished in brush aluminum are the Gear selector, Dashboard trim strip including cupholder trim, and the door panel trim

Is there an option that I'm missing that would make the console trim match the aluminum finish? There is an option for the Carrera XYE that does this.

Answer: FYI, the interior trim and center console trim is already finished in silver Brushed Aluminum as standard on the GT3. These Anthracite options are if you want the darker Anthracite tone of brushed aluminum. It also includes the Center Console Trim according to the order guide, so I have asked that IT updates this on the configurator.

I just checked and it appears IT did indeed update the configurator text.

Question 2. If I choose the Brushed Aluminum Interior package, Anthracite (i.c.w. Leather interior), are there any interior parts that remain finished in the standard bright plastic that stickout as noticably different than the Anthracite trim?

Answer: The other items with the bright silver plastic would be the spokes of the SportDesign steering wheel, the surround of the air vent housings, the glove box handle, the door opener handle, the seat latches, and the little surround of the gear selector gait. We can cover the air vents in leather to eliminate the silver, but the other pieces will remain as is. Here is a pic of the air vents:

Question 3. If I elect to go without the leather on the seat backs, is the back of the seat the same color as the standard dash trim or is it darker?

Answer: If you choose to leave out the leather on the seat backs, the shell will be a matte silver plastic that is darker and looks different from the shiny silver plastic trim. I definitely recommend the leather seat backs to eliminate that contrast. And that options comes with the deviated red stitching.

From her responses I believe the aluminum trim weather the bright finish or the anthracite finish is plastic of some type.

Ryan
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, what is your current build looking like? What options?
It's pretty basic, mcsmcs1:

GT silver Metallic $3140
Full leather with base seats (plan to retrofit sport buckets when they become available) $3120
Front axle lift $3490
90L tank $0
Smoking package $0
Floor mats $0
Luggage net in passenger footwell $0
PCM with Nav $0
Sound package plus $700
Leather Sport Design wheel $0
Destination $950

Total $143,390

I thought about covering the silver trim in leather but think I will pass on that. I might consider the anthracite option for the trim, but that's it....

Thanks Sam.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

What's the verdict between the standard, silver aluminum trim and the anthracite aluminum trim option?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like what i'd order Mike. Just the basics with good stereo. (stereo for the drive to the track)

Mine will be on the track more than the street. No sense getting too fancy with all the extras offered.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TrackFan
That sounds like what i'd order Mike. Just the basics with good stereo. (stereo for the drive to the track)

Mine will be on the track more than the street. No sense getting too fancy with all the extras offered.
I think the stereo is worth it in any event, but the fact that you have to order it to get the "free" NAV/PCM makes it a no brainer. I have changed my order slightly; the big change is color:

991810 $130,400
Guards Red $0
Full leather $3320
Front axle lift $3490
Adaptive Sport seats $2635
90L tank $0
PDLS $770
Smoking package $0
Floor mats $0
PCM with Nav $0
Sound package plus $700
Leather Sport Design wheel $0
Destination $950

Total $142,265

What's the verdict between the standard, silver aluminum trim and the anthracite aluminum trim option?
I passed on the anthracite trim....
Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Makes sense with your new avatar.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Mike, are you going to remove the PORSCHE script on the back and just keep GT3? I heard some people will. Since it is in a unique black color, I am thinking of keeping it on mine while getting the GT3 painted red. I removed the script on my C4S because it was too crowded and chrome.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, are you going to remove the PORSCHE script on the back and just keep GT3? I heard some people will. Since it is in a unique black color, I am thinking of keeping it on mine while getting the GT3 painted red. I removed the script on my C4S because it was too crowded and chrome.
Sam, I know all the added lettering was an issue for some folks when the 991 came out. I remember the days when all 356's and 911's had PORSCHE and the model type on the rear. Anyway, with this car it's just PORSCHE and GT3 and it's in black so I'm going to leave it as is.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Default front axle lift

What is the purpose of this option? please enlighten me about this because I don't understand the utility,,, unless you let any one else drive your GT3.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Sam, I know all the added lettering was an issue for some folks when the 991 came out. I remember the days when all 356's and 911's had PORSCHE and the model type on the rear. Anyway, with this car it's just PORSCHE and GT3 and it's in black so I'm going to leave it as is.
Thanks. I'll do the same and paint the GT3 in red. For the C4S, it was obscene: PORSCHE 911 Carrera 4 S, all in chrome. I took all that off, got a Carrera 4S script for the 997 (larger), and used the C4S only, painted in red. Looks nice on a black car.

Quick Reply: New Options in Configurator