Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voting with your pocketbook?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

In reality the cars will sell regardless... The only difference is more will end up in the hands of boulevard cruisers than enthusiasts. And in a couple of years when they are no longer the latest and greatest, they'll be flicked and flood the used car market. This is when it will be felt or noticed by Porsche, not now IMO...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

I don't even think a that point Porsche will really care. BMW didn't when they raped the M brand, and they are now the largest luxury brand. It will take 20+ years to see the decay of a brand due to enthusiasts moving, and even then it's relative. Where are the entusiast going to go that will change the perception in the market place of Porche being a premier sporty brand? As long as Porsche continues to support a motorsports program with their brand all over the place, I'd guess the only effect is that the enthusiast will prop up the used/collectors market for older porsches.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Depreciation, servicing and parts sales will provide the pain for them... hard to make a dollar if no one is wearing out stuff, doing track maintenance or buying used so you can make commissions...

Look at the 997.2s holding value in the US market... Don't expect that from future GT3s with their new strategy...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

+ 1, I don't expect them to be able to maintain the depreciation advantage over regular 911s. But again, that didn't seen to bother BMW.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I don't even think a that point Porsche will really care. BMW didn't when they raped the M brand, and they are now the largest luxury brand. It will take 20+ years to see the decay of a brand due to enthusiasts moving, and even then it's relative. Where are the entusiast going to go that will change the perception in the market place of Porche being a premier sporty brand? As long as Porsche continues to support a motorsports program with their brand all over the place, I'd guess the only effect is that the enthusiast will prop up the used/collectors market for older porsches.
This.. The money is in luxury and volume. Not 500 manual GT3s. Sorry, reality.

Also, who else is creating a street car at $140k that's manual and can be tracked. Viper? Since 2009 not Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, and on and on. Don't say BMW, they don't make a sports car. Maybe a sporty sedan or a sporty coupe. Only Corvette, Viper, Miata, Subaru BRZ are "old school". I guess Porsche is following suit. Street car = Carrera, Cayman and you can still buy manual. Track car = GT3, all the gizmos to go faster.

Don't like it, go to the classified on this forum and there are several GT3 997 variants for sale at around $95 to 105k. Easily picked up and great cars. Change is a b!tch, but you gotta go with it - those that don't... how many typewriter manufacturers are still out there?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
In reality the cars will sell regardless... The only difference is more will end up in the hands of boulevard cruisers than enthusiasts. And in a couple of years when they are no longer the latest and greatest, they'll be flicked and flood the used car market. This is when it will be felt or noticed by Porsche, not now IMO...
agreed.
I saw my salesguy last night. He commented "we're seeing all kinds demand. Better get in line."

I dont think P (VW) really cares where the money comes from as long as it comes.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
MG944
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Add Content
Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Your are probably right about more of the boulevard cruiser but we need to open up and understand that RL guys are not the only car enthusiast and not the only people who can drive stick. There are tons of people who race including me who are coming and will be on the track beating the crap out of it. There will be new folks who will start to become enthusiast. Porsche needs new blood.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rodsky
This.. The money is in luxury and volume. Not 500 manual GT3s. Sorry, reality.

Also, who else is creating a street car at $140k that's manual and can be tracked. Viper? Since 2009 not Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, and on and on. Don't say BMW, they don't make a sports car. Maybe a sporty sedan or a sporty coupe. Only Corvette, Viper, Miata, Subaru BRZ are "old school". I guess Porsche is following suit. Street car = Carrera, Cayman and you can still buy manual. Track car = GT3, all the gizmos to go faster.

Don't like it, go to the classified on this forum and there are several GT3 997 variants for sale at around $95 to 105k. Easily picked up and great cars. Change is a b!tch, but you gotta go with it - those that don't... how many typewriter manufacturers are still out there?
Or take a Cayman to BGB for a 3.8 swap. Likely cheaper and faster, and you get a transmission choice and no CLs.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Or take a Cayman to BGB for a 3.8 swap. Likely cheaper and faster, and you get a transmission choice and no CLs.
You'll need a bunch of suspension upgrades and possibly brakes to complete the package and be able to compare apples to apples. And your resale will suck b/c it's a frankencar.

If it was from a bona fide builder like RUF then that's a different story.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:42 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frayed
You'll need a bunch of suspension upgrades and possibly brakes to complete the package and be able to compare apples to apples. And your resale will suck b/c it's a frankencar.

If it was from a bona fide builder like RUF then that's a different story.
I know I'll be called a heretic, but I vastly prefer the suspension (w/minor tweaks) on my Cayman R to the PASM suspension (w/ similar tweaks) on my 997.1 RS. For a street/track combo I'd take the CR.

Brakes will take less effort than you believe. The Cayman is lighter and better balanced. Better ducting (like what Porsche has had to add with PSM) goes a long way, as do rotors and pad choices.

Oh, and the engine will be in the right place, since we're all about accepting modernity.

Resale on the 991-series of cars has been pretty abysmal. It will be interesting to see how the 991 'GT3" fits will it be like similar to other 991s or other GT3s - or something else entirely.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It's too bad Porsche has made us all 13 years old and put us on a deserted island. Amazing how personal this horror is.

LOL! I’ve been a member here for more than a decade, and the thing that I’ve appreciated most about RL is the overall tone of maturity and civility in the dialog among the participants. It’s a refreshing departure from the juvenile behavior I find on the vast majority of internet car forums. I have to say it’s a bit disappointing that the debate about this new GT3 has gotten quite harsh at times. Hopefully things will go back to normal once the new car is out and the hype dies down. I’m starting to think this new car is like the Coke bottle in the movie, “The God’s Must Be Crazy,” where once-happy villagers go at one another’s throats.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The new 911 GT3 looks like a fantastic upgraded Carrera -- I would even argue it's what the Carrera should be considering the modern-day competition and I've said as much in other threads. Considering the other cars you were looking at, it's incredibly easy to see why you like it and there's nothing wrong with that. If I was looking for a daily driver I'd take this new car over the last one in a heartbeat.

Some of us didn't want a faster Carrera -- we wanted the next GT3 and it no longer exists.
says the guy who hasn't owned a gt3 and has no intention of buying one.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
No I don't have one -- because I've spent the last five years working in Iraq and can't spend more than 35 days a year in the USA. I'm due to finally be done here at the end of the year and would be in the market for a European-delivered 991 if it followed the previous formula.

Can I get a European delivery on a brand-new 997 for next summer? Paying close to MSRP for cars that are nearly 4-years old, about to be out of warranty, and other people have been abusing and farting in sorta sucks.

Some of us younger guys who still have our lives in front of us instead of behind us just would have liked the same opportunity to buy enthusiast cars that others had. That doesn't make our opinions any less valid unless you're the definition of the classic old pompous-douche Porsche owner. Not trying to be confrontational, or claiming that that's you.
seriously; a little passive, aggressive maybe...
Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by 911dev
says the guy who hasn't owned a gt3 and has no intention of buying one.
I think he's lost. I told him the 997 GT3 forum was two slots up. Love it when people who never had intentions of buying this car come and tell everyone why they wouldn't buy it.

I was a huge vette fan and still sponsor some team driving Vettes. The fact that they ruined the rear with camaro like lights, I decided that it wasn't for me. You don't find me hanging around vette forums bitching about the lights. Some folks here who absolutely will not buy the 991 GT3 should move on.

Quick Reply: Voting with your pocketbook?