Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by savyboy
Someone do a Photoshop with "Porker" Replacing "Porsche" above the GT3. With an emblem of a coffee cup.

Official line- It is an image car for wannabe racers. It is not a track car. Start at page 13 or so: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...ode=POST#post0

The cries for 4 seats and wing delete are becoming deafening. Who killed the GT3? Soccer Dads and The Great Porsche Marketing Machine.
It all started with cup holders, glove boxes and center consoles.

Last edited by jumper5836; 03-08-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I assume this is intentional repositioning, to open up a bigger niche for the RS, the real street-legal track car.
I think you are correct. I am expecting (hoping) the RS will have an exterior (same body, wing, carbon fenders, etc.) and spartan interior very similar to the Cup (i.e. no center console, carpet, etc).

I think the motor will make at least 510hp from increased displacement and there will be a Manual gearbox option (hopefully 7spd Close-Ratio) and the biggest wish: Electro-Hydraulic steering right out of the Cup!
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:11 PM
kosmo
Race Director

prob a repost, but i liked this article:

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=133&i=27280
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I've never been to a Cars and Coffee (don't drink coffee) so I can't comment authoritatively on what goes on there. However, some of you mention it constantly so apparently you have had a lot of first hand experience. What, you didn't have a good time?

It's unreassuring that for now the Sport Buckets are shown as unavailable but the talk about how that proves that the GT3 isn't a serious track car is just plainly ridiculous . Obviously Porsche designed the car for Sport Buckets, intended them to be used in the car, and offers them everywhere except North America. It's equally clear that NA dealers and PCNA must have had a say in the decision to withhold them from this market. The blame is on them, not the car.

I presume many of you guys must be professional and business people. If this is the kind of logic you use in your business dealings it's a wonder you've been successful enough to afford a Porsche in the first place. Get a grip.

Old 03-08-2013 | 01:55 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by consolidated
Only 10 pages in that thread, I want to see the people who actually want those things. Did see all the "will this be a better DD?" posts here and there, no surprise, it's what was intended, the 'race car' you can drive to work everyday in comfort.

Once they went down this road they're now directly competing with cars like the GT-R, the differentiators are slowly disappearing, so the car better damn well perform. Would be a shame to give up all that was a GT3 and still get it's *** handed to it by a Nissan or GM. No more hiding behind "well my GT3 is real drivers car compared to...".
Don't worry it will get its *** handed by both the Vette and the GT-R
The way it stands, they can keep the GT3, I am going to look elsewhere

Unless they provide bucket seats I am out, just the drop that overfilled the bucket (after CL, RWS, weight gain)

Mike
Old 03-08-2013 | 02:03 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
but the talk about how that proves that the GT3 isn't a serious track car is just plainly ridiculous .
Is it? Does a 'serious track car' have the coolant hose fall off on track? Wheels fall off on track? Warranty claims denied because of track use? If so, the the GT3 is indeed a 'serious track car'.

If Porsche can take one of the new GT3's, drive it to the 'ring, run it in the 24 hour race (with the only modifications a cage, seats and harnesses), then drive it home, that might help the image. The 997.2 GT3RS did just that. Whether or not the 991 GT3 is up to the challenge remains to be seen.

I get it, some people have time, effort, emotion and money invested in the new GT3. Telling them anything bad about it is like telling them their kid is ugly. But let's face it, there are ugly kids out there. . .

And, I've got one ordered, so I can complain about my ugly kid.
Old 03-08-2013 | 02:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Is it? Does a 'serious track car' have the coolant hose fall off on track? Wheels fall off on track? Warranty claims denied because of track use? If so, the the GT3 is indeed a 'serious track car'.

If Porsche can take one of the new GT3's, drive it to the 'ring, run it in the 24 hour race (with the only modifications a cage, seats and harnesses), then drive it home, that might help the image. The 997.2 GT3RS did just that. Whether or not the 991 GT3 is up to the challenge remains to be seen.
If one is to give credibility to the Porsche connected posters over on the Renn Team site I previously linked to, the 24h race entry was a pure marketing stunt. It was intimated the car used was used-up and worn-out at the finish. And that the marketing (over the years) is 100% perception (molding) vs reality. The GT3 was never intended to be used on track, only a Cup should ever go to the track. Not my words, theirs.

Again, I think the new car is a great Grand Touring (GT!) street car, and there is a market for that, and Porsche will sell a lot of them. I'd enjoy driving one on some twisty roads. But I would never buy one for track use.
Old 03-08-2013 | 02:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

I'm just relieved that they retained the Aluminum Look Fuel Filler Cap for $160 in the options list. It's just really critical to me that when I open the fuel filler door I have a gas cap that "looks" like real aluminum.

But I digress. What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, whether this is a real track car or not....
Old 03-08-2013 | 03:05 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Unhappy that Sport Bucket Seats are not an option.
I urge you to write and express your displeasure to:

Mr. Detlev von Platen CEO
Porsche Cars North America
980 Hammond Drive Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30328
Old 03-08-2013 | 03:17 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MJones
Unhappy that Sport Bucket Seats are not an option.
I urge you to write and express your displeasure to:

Mr. Detlev von Platen CEO
Porsche Cars North America
980 Hammond Drive Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30328
Do you have an email address? TIA
Old 03-08-2013 | 03:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by RayDBonz

I get it, some people have time, effort, emotion and money invested in the new GT3. Telling them anything bad about it is like telling them their kid is ugly. But let's face it, there are ugly kids out there. . .

And, I've got one ordered, so I can complain about my ugly kid.
Ray, you bring up a bunch of other issues, which have also been discussed ad nauseum, but my comment was about something very specific. To suggest that the absence of Sport Buckets for NA proves the GT3 isn't a competent track car, which some posters are saying, is silly. The GT3 is obviously designed to have them but PCNA, I'm sure, has so far made the stupid decision not to offer them here. There may be other conversations that make sense to have about why the GT3 is or isn't track worthy, but this isn't one of them.

I don't have anything invested in the car except my interest and a refundable $1K deposit. I'm impressed by it but I get that others might not be for various reasons. I'm ok with people expressing their "ugly kid" concerns, to a point. TEHO. What's curious is that the naysayers repeat the same complaints over and over and over again, some based on real concerns, others on nothing but speculation or invented issues. Ok, the car is a disappointment. You'd never buy one. We know, you've told us a dozen times. So why are you still wasting your time in this forum posting about a car you don't like? It's pathological.

'Nuff said.....
Old 03-08-2013 | 03:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
I'm just relieved that they retained the Aluminum Look Fuel Filler Cap for $160 in the options list. It's just really critical to me that when I open the fuel filler door I have a gas cap that "looks" like real aluminum.

But I digress. What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, whether this is a real track car or not....
Right in the 10 ring, Warren...

Old 03-08-2013 | 03:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Do you have an email address? TIA
+1
Old 03-08-2013 | 03:46 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ray, you bring up a bunch of other issues, which have also been discussed ad nauseum, but my comment was about something very specific. To suggest that the absence of Sport Buckets for NA proves the GT3 isn't a competent track car, which some posters are saying, is silly. The GT3 is obviously designed to have them but PCNA, I'm sure, has so far made the stupid decision not to offer them here. There may be other conversations that make sense to have about why the GT3 is or isn't track worthy, but this isn't one of them.

I don't have anything invested in the car except my interest and a refundable $1K deposit. I'm impressed by it but I get that others might not be for various reasons. I'm ok with people expressing their "ugly kid" concerns, to a point. TEHO. What's curious is that the naysayers repeat the same complaints over and over and over again, some based on real concerns, others on nothing but speculation or invented issues. Ok, the car is a disappointment. You'd never buy one. We know, you've told us a dozen times. So why are you still wasting your time in this forum posting about a car you don't like? It's pathological.

'Nuff said.....
Hi Mike

I spoke to my dealer price is MSRP and the deposit is refundable ($ 2500) so I will be put on the list, awaiting further info on the Bucket Seats, and maintenance schedules for PDK, RWS and CL

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-08-2013 | 03:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer

Standard on the 2010RS for the same money
Its not.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!