Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
AP interview by Evo smacks of an infomercial. Mr Bovington's questions were as searching as a 7 year old with no interest in cars, let alone Porsches. Pathetic.

interesting too that AP admits that 50% of the reason for the new engine being based on 9A1 block is cost.

It's a pre-presentation "interview". And EVO took it first. What did you expect? 60 minutes?
They have plenty of time to do pathetic later this year.

It didn't bother me, and AP was just being brutally honest re cost.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,594 Likes on 739 Posts

Looks great.

According to AP; Is heavier but goes like hell because the car does more for you with PTV and rear wheel steering, does not feel like **** or sound like.

The whole clutch in with 2 flappies in, sounds like and excuse to me, good luck trying that with SC on.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
Did I read something right...

LEFT for upshifts????

Car seems... impressive I suppose. But very busy.

Am undecided... I'm sure its extremely fast.
I questioned that too. Why are they trying to change the standard? At least in the GT3, they have the gear lever finally moving in the right direction, pull back for upshift, push for downshift. Which happens to be the opposite in the standard 991. WTF. Can't one department talk to the other and decide which way to go.

Also, looks like honda was on to something back in the days of the Prelude SH 4 wheel steer models...

Other than that, can't wait to check out the car!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
AP interview by Evo smacks of an infomercial. Mr Bovington's questions were as searching as a 7 year old with no interest in cars, let alone Porsches. Pathetic.

interesting too that AP admits that 50% of the reason for the new engine being based on 9A1 block is cost.
I think you're a little harsh on the journo. From the look of his bright red ears, he was nervous as a school boy on his first date and clearly anxious to be on his best behavior. The questions were knowledgable, if far from "probing" and these fluff launch events are all about glad handing, not critical reviews and jousting. I'm sure there will be time for the journo's to raise questions over weight and centerlocks, PDK and computer-steering. It's an impressive 911 and better than I had ever expected in some respects given the fears of the new engine and the inevitability of PDK and the rumors of whatever the hell "rear steering" meant, but the new GT3 has some darker aspects that even an intelligent man and well-scripted set of talking points cannot hide from scrutiny.

The 991 GT3 is going to be a revolution of minds to think in terms of driving a 911 in the "analog" world that the likes of Chris Harris will convey in his reviews of this 911. It's going to be a matter of setting aside ring times and local lap times as being the by-product of a computer age when the software drivers are becoming more significant to lap times than the driver.

I'm afraid the next year of time trials at the local Porsche Club will see all kinds of lap records "fall" but I think these new electronic 911's with PDK should not be subject to "points," they should simply go into separate classes of time records.

And it will be all I can do to not get arrested for bloodying the nose of the first paddock racing blow hard rejoicing in being behind the wheel when his 991 GT3 posts a lap time faster than an RS 4.0 … : )
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IIRC, neither Ferrari nor BMW reverses them for the RHD market. But I could be wrong.
I was confused myself, but when you watch the video with Preuninger it definitely shows a wheel with a conventional left paddle downshift/right paddle upshift, regardless of what the text in the UK press release says......
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Four wheel steer... Yawn!!!!

Was driving a Honda with it 20 years ago... Wouldn't call it ground breaking, just something capable of breaking on track... Look forward to seeing how it will complicate track set up and alignment for the track....
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved it .... happy. Still want to see the pic from the engine, and hopefully an external oil tank with REAL dry sump.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:07 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Faster, sure, and love the wide body, 9K redline and shorter gears...but this confirms PDK only, so not for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 62 Posts

Rear air scoop -

Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Ok they said 3kg/hp power to weight ratio. 1430kg DIN is 3150 lbs, empty. That's far off from being a sub 3000 lb track car.
84lbs lighter than 991 4S. Imagine what they could've done if they'd binned the PDK and all the electronic gizmos and added some CF body parts and proper seats....

Originally Posted by sfo

Ya'll ping me when they put a 9A1 block in a race car.....
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Loved it .... happy. Still want to see the pic from the engine, and hopefully an external oil tank with REAL dry sump.
No real dry sump mentioned, so I assume same integrated oiling as the regular engine, just upgraded.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it me or did values just go up on our cars.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...rch=true&Log=0
Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
I dont know if i am missing something in AP's interview, he keeps saying 100 ms shift time is very fast , It maybe fast but not class leading. Italia Mp4 and Scud all have 50-60 ms shift times.
I'm not sure at all what he meant by 100ms "reaction" time. It's quick number, but yes, the Scuderia as a single actuation was 60 ms gear to gear and even less time with the engine developing less than 100% power for rpm. I just can't think of a situation where 100ms has anything to do with PDK since upshifts are 100% overlap (both gears engaged simultaneously and both clutches engaged simultaneously with overlap to cause the engaging clutch to multiply torque with slip and propel the car forward during the shift) with continuous 100% engine power for rpm. Even 10ms doesn't make sense since the actual event is either what you'd measure as instantaneous or perhaps better described as continuous, or even a sort of negative time event if you think about the work being delivered between the two drive paths through the box (the sum of the two exceeds 100% for the time that the engaging clutch is slipping and delivering more torque than the disengaging clutch.) It will be interesting to learn more about this new PDK design and programming.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

What happens when you are correcting and opposite locking obver bumps out of T17?
Will the car's rear help me go left or lose the rear. Sounds so weird to me..
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Four wheel steer... Yawn!!!!

Was driving a Honda with it 20 years ago... Wouldn't call it ground breaking, just something capable of breaking on track... Look forward to seeing how it will complicate track set up and alignment for the track....
Well it was Honda instead of Porsche, and 20 years have passed, so hopefully Porsche have done a better job with it.

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No real dry sump mentioned, so I assume same integrated oiling as the regular engine, just upgraded.
The press release specifically mentions dry sump with an external oil tank....

As the designated sports car for the race track, a dry sump oil supply continues to be used for the 911 GT3. This meant that the oil pan had to be entirely re-developed. Just like the base engine, the high-performance engine is equipped with four suction points in the cylinder heads, an extraction in the oil pan, and an oil pressure pump. The engine of the 911 GT3 has two additional suction points in the oil pan at the front and rear, so as to be able to safely transfer oil to a separate oil tank during heavy acceleration and braking phases.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!