Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Well, gosh, Peter, you are no the only person in the world, now are you?
No, but I'm the only one that I need to convince there's sometjhing to worry about.
What are you whining about anyway, you dont have CL's. Have you ever changed them or just watched?

So what happend that you have seen first hand?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No, but I'm the only one that I need to convince there's sometjhing to worry about.
What are you whining about anyway, you dont have CL's. Have you ever changed them or just watched?

So what happend that you have seen first hand?
I have helped & I have watched, incredulous that a major car company as prestigious as Porsche would dare foist such utter **** onto a $100,000 car. And now--even after the recalls & changing maintenance schedule & demands that CUSTOMERS pay for a 4200 mile replacement schedule (to which I would say PHUQUE YOU), they are putting them in the next generation of cars? LMFAO.

First hand? Well, for example, we recently had a GT2RS stop dead on track due to CL problems (the owner is extremely fastidious about his CL's too). Wheels stayed on...barely...luckily. But car had to be towed in.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and that's the point here.
even though the failure rate may be low as a total percentage,
when you tracking at such high speeds, you don't need any more variables.
too many variables already.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
You guys are whining like little girl who just found out that her favourite lollipop flavour of strawberries and cream has just been replaced with double strawberries and cream...

PDK and paddleshift vs manual. Let me phrase this so that even Americans understand: Would you really like to fight against automatic assault rifles with a magazineless bolt-lock one?? The loading feeling of the latter might be authentic, genuine, original and true to tradition, but you'd find yourself dead pretty soon...

Centerlocks. The majority of GT3's with centerlocks have kept their wheels on. You just have to use proper tools and procedures for the job to be done correctly. Don't blame the mirror if you don't like the picture you see.

Engine. Most likely a magnificent one (again) even though it might have some relation to 9A1. It'll be a continuation to Porsche's proud racing heritage, just wait and see.

20" wheels. It's the future and although 19" would/will fit the chassis is tuned to those.

Exterior. Not much to complaint. As stated from previous posts the final verion will be slightly different ( Read: Even more awesome.) Again just wait the Geneva show...

Exterior. OK, here's something to improve. Although the center console has family connection to Carrera GT it's IMO to much...I hope that the RS has more simple one.

All above just my 2 cents...
Originally Posted by Sweeper
"PDK and paddleshift vs manual. Let me phrase this so that even Americans understand: Would you really like to fight against automatic assault rifles with a magazineless bolt-lock one?? The loading feeling of the latter might be authentic, genuine, original and true to tradition, but you'd find yourself dead pretty soon..."

Let me explain it so you can understand "Who cares what you think". Bad analogy, you wouldn't want me on the side of the "bolt Lock Rifle"
Originally Posted by wanna911
You are comparing a hobby to a gun fight? Sorry don't get the correlation. But I'll play.

Though I'll gladly take my chances in a manual 991 vs the quality of drivers the PDK is going to attract.

So yeah, I'll take the bolt-action and some skill and accuracy vs spray and pray knuckleheads with no skill.

You seem to have completely missed the point on the CL. The point is that they are a PITA, and for NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER!!!! They don't do anything but require more effort to change, don't shed any weight, require more maintenance, have shorter life span, and add more risk.

20" wheels are not the future. If they were, we would be seeing them on pro racing cars in pro racing series. How many 20" wheels have you seen in Grand-Am, ALMS, FIA GT, Lemans, etc etc etc?
+2
Originally Posted by mdrums
+3!!!

...and I'm a PDK guy too...but not by my choice ( hint.... don't ride motorcycles)..however PDK has been awesome. Center Locks SUCK...plain and simple...SUCK!
+4

What a ridiculous analogy. PDK only, 20" dubs, and a still unproven "race" motor are all disappointments.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How long before some start to say "21" wheels are the future" ?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I have helped & I have watched, incredulous that a major car company as prestigious as Porsche would dare foist such utter **** onto a $100,000 car. And now--even after the recalls & changing maintenance schedule & demands that CUSTOMERS pay for a 4200 mile replacement schedule (to which I would say PHUQUE YOU), they are putting them in the next generation of cars? LMFAO.

First hand? Well, for example, we recently had a GT2RS stop dead on track due to CL problems (the owner is extremely fastidious about his CL's too). Wheels stayed on...barely...luckily. But car had to be towed in.
Yeah, but that 4200 mile thing is a lawyery issue. GT3's only, RS unaffected and never seen an issue first hand. I spent above average time around CL RS cars. So what happened to the GT2RS besides stopping dead on the track? That means nothing to me. What broke, what it look like? I have to see things to believe them, but I can listen to an accurate description of cause and result.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
and that's the point here.
even though the failure rate may be low as a total percentage,
when you tracking at such high speeds, you don't need any more variables.
too many variables already.
But as far as I know the failure rate of RS is zero?!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
"The rear wing is fixed and adjustable, just like the current GT cars" "Nothing looks electronic or automatic"

I see a different center air scoop and therefore probably a different air-box / intake.
Thanks Slow.

Originally Posted by Macca
Yes that's correct and what i was referring too. My belief is this black car is only partially unveiled (i.e. front and rear bumpers and all hardware - brakes etc). I think for the show they will keep a few surprises (final wheel design, door mirrors, final rear spoiler). I believe too they will need to choose a new "signature color" for this model. It will probably be a new shade of white but would be nice if they added Maritime Blue to the standard color palette again to go with the racing yellow and red they have...
I agree, and like your color comment. It will be interesting to see what Porsche selects for the press cars?

I'm hoping the GT3 gets the Cup style mirror base. With so many details of the car confirmed, I'm still curious about the rear wing... (these wheels look great!)

An adjustable wing makes sense.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 02-19-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

Cupcar mirrors have terrible visibility. Passenger side can't see crap!!! Mike
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

If that's the wing, well then I do not like it.
Way too muted. Not aggressive enough but I'm sure Porsche has done all the R&D in it's development but I still hate it.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Bunch of whiners..
Hey, I said I liked them.

Originally Posted by savyboy
If there is one thing that has really soured me from the Porsche brand it is the mark-up on options which is obscene to anyone who understands the nature of what they are paying the extra thousands for. Shameless.
But still child's play compared to Fiat. Wait, maybe that's a bad comp

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Cupcar mirrors have terrible visibility. Passenger side can't see crap!!! Mike
I suspect he meant the new Cup car mirrors.

http://technewsgator.com/2012/12/07/...-want-one-now/
Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

Visibility still bad. Mike
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Those new cup mirrors look identical to the shots of the white car taken at Estoril that surfaced in October.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, for example, we recently had a GT2RS stop dead on track due to CL problems (the owner is extremely fastidious about his CL's too). Wheels stayed on...barely...luckily. But car had to be towed in.
Is this the same 2RS mentioned in another thread where I asked for detail/pics? Might have missed it, but never saw a reply with info. Halfway hearsay info is worse than worthless because it just stirs up a lot of emotion that has no basis in facts and nothing can be learned from it. Not disputing the guys car broke, but why?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Is this the same 2RS mentioned in another thread where I asked for detail/pics? Might have missed it, but never saw a reply with info. Halfway hearsay info is worse than worthless because it just stirs up a lot of emotion that has no basis in facts and nothing can be learned from it. Not disputing the guys car broke, but why?
I have no idea what car/which thread you mean, but I assure you, this is no hearsay, son. I was there. I have driven this car many times. I know its owner & his maintenance schedule VERY well.

Just because you and Peter haven't heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!