Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade from Carrera T to GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 12:09 AM
Guaji
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 149 Posts

I had a 2018 Carrera T for 3 years and 24,000 miles. Great car and had some very memorable road trips. The T definitely felt more Grand Touring compared to the GT3T which I bought to replace the T, even though it was marketed as a more raw and back to basics Carrera. The GT3T is definitely more “raw” compared to the T. I wasn’t looking for a black car, though I don’t mind them. This car has the three must haves that I wanted, LWBS, PCCB, FAL. The moment I first sat in it, started it up and drove off, everything just sounded and felt so different then the T. It makes a lot of GT3 noises at idle and just driving around a garage that you won’t hear in a Carrera. At first I was thinking to myself if the rattling noise was normal….it is. I miss my Carrera but the GT3 is an occasion every time I get in it and start it up, love the burble it makes on start up, typical 991.2 GT3 sound.

The following 4 users liked this post by Guaji:
JOSCAL (07-17-2024), Riptide (07-17-2024), SterlingatBOM (07-17-2024), Wing Commander (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 12:22 AM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
I had a 2018 Carrera T for 3 years and 24,000 miles. Great car and had some very memorable road trips. The T definitely felt more Grand Touring compared to the GT3T which I bought to replace the T, even though it was marketed as a more raw and back to basics Carrera. The GT3T is definitely more “raw” compared to the T. I wasn’t looking for a black car, though I don’t mind them. This car has the three must haves that I wanted, LWBS, PCCB, FAL. The moment I first sat in it, started it up and drove off, everything just sounded and felt so different then the T. It makes a lot of GT3 noises at idle and just driving around a garage that you won’t hear in a Carrera. At first I was thinking to myself if the rattling noise was normal….it is. I miss my Carrera but the GT3 is an occasion every time I get in it and start it up, love the burble it makes on start up, typical 991.2 GT3 sound.
love that spec!
The following 2 users liked this post by SterlingatBOM:
Guaji (07-17-2024), JOSCAL (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 02:28 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,281 Likes on 473 Posts

Hi. Have had my T for just over 6 years and very nearly 57,000 miles. It’s been my favourite car so far and the one I’ve kept for the longest. I think my T is more raw than OEM. I had a lot of mods done which have made it louder, lower and stiffer. I get what you mean about the typical mechanic noises of a GT3 and I can’t wait to drive the car. That sense of occasion (more so than my T) is exactly what I’m hoping for! Plus, it’ll be my sole car and daily driver! Probably the last sports car I’ll buy too!
The following users liked this post:
Guaji (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 08:46 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Hi. Have had my T for just over 6 years and very nearly 57,000 miles. It’s been my favourite car so far and the one I’ve kept for the longest. I think my T is more raw than OEM. I had a lot of mods done which have made it louder, lower and stiffer. I get what you mean about the typical mechanic noises of a GT3 and I can’t wait to drive the car. That sense of occasion (more so than my T) is exactly what I’m hoping for! Plus, it’ll be my sole car and daily driver! Probably the last sports car I’ll buy too!
Good luck

Keep in mind - I suspect a lot if not most GT3s are not aligned particularly well out of factory and a lot of owners probably never touch those settings. Seeing as you have experience with suspension mods, the GT3 responds well to a more aggressive alignment and is (for a Mac strut car) pretty adjustable from factory. My car had some understeer and felt a bit flat until I made some adjustments to the set up.
Wing Commander (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 10:31 AM
Guaji
Racer

I followed your journey with the T over the years, especially when I had my T. It will be interesting to read your impressions of driving a GT3 in comparison to your Litchfield moded T. My T was stock and so is my GT3.
Old 07-17-2024, 12:02 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts

If I had the funds I’d have a T as well, they are a very special car but the engine just isn’t a patch on the GT3.

Also don’t dismiss the PDK, my .2 was PDK and the current Touring is manual and I would genuinely by happy with either😉

Last edited by JOSCAL; 07-17-2024 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 01:10 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 728 Posts

Great feedback. Did your T have LWBS and PCCB?

IMO, which seats the car has changes the impression greatly. I drove a GT3 with 18 ways and it felt Carrera like to me.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 07-17-2024 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 01:49 PM
Guaji
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Great feedback. Did your T have LWBS and PCCB?

IMO, which seats the car has changes the impression greatly. I drove a GT3 with 18 ways and it felt Carrera like to me.
I agree, the seats definitely change the feel. I did not spec my T. It had 18 ways and the base brakes. If I could change anything with that car, it would be the 4 way seats or LWBS instead of the 18 ways. If I could spec a T today it would definitely have the PCCBs and possibly the LWBS. Unfortunately the 992 never had the option for PCCBs. The 4 way seats are nice since they give easy access to the rear for storing things on road trips. I can squeeze soft bags in the back between the LWBS on trips. I think whatever seats a GT3 has is subjective. I am happy with the LWSBs and have no issues with getting in or out and long road trips.

Last edited by Guaji; 07-17-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 01:58 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts

I had LWB in a 718 GT4 and they didn’t suit me at all but everyone is different.

The buckets look the best without a doubt😊
Old 07-17-2024, 02:27 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

I followed your journey with the T over the years, especially when I had my T. It will be interesting to read your impressions of driving a GT3 in comparison to your Litchfield moded T. My T was stock and so is my GT3.
Thanks!

I think I may keep my GT3 stock. It has a Porsche extended warranty and I’ll probably renew this next year. Hopefully picking up the new car next Tuesday.
Guaji (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 02:32 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by JOSCAL
I had LWB in a 718 GT4 and they didn’t suit me at all but everyone is different.

The buckets look the best without a doubt😊
I agree the buckets look great. The car I’m buying is a GT3 with 18-ways, as it’ll be a daily driver and my sole car. Plus I’m getting on a bit! 60 next year!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wing Commander:
alaris (07-18-2024), Guaji (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 02:53 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by JOSCAL
If I had the funds I’d have a T as well, they are a very special car but the engine just isn’t a patch on the GT3.

https://youtu.be/8uZXuHEXYpc?si=1WM9MvAIkzJS-Y2_

Also don’t dismiss the PDK, my .2 was PDK and the current Touring is manual and I would genuinely by happy with either😉
Great video/s. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2024, 03:53 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 288 Posts

Thanks!

I think I may keep my GT3 stock. It has a Porsche extended warranty and I’ll probably renew this next year. Hopefully picking up the new car next Tuesday.
Congrats! You will love it!
Old 07-17-2024, 04:03 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Thanks!

I have heavily modded all of my Porsches (turbos) over the years and have not touched the GT3's other than exhaust, which is a great mod for the GT3. The GT3 is so good out of the box that IMO for street use, it doesn't need anything and I never felt it required anything. The tweaked PDK S in the GT3 is an amazing version of the PDK, too. Quicker shifting and more involving than the standard PDK. Get a CPO and no need to compromise the coverage with mods.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
The following 2 users liked this post by John D II:
Guaji (07-17-2024), Wing Commander (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by John D II
I have heavily modded all of my Porsches (turbos) over the years and have not touched the GT3's other than exhaust, which is a great mod for the GT3. The GT3 is so good out of the box that IMO for street use, it doesn't need anything and I never felt it required anything. The tweaked PDK S in the GT3 is an amazing version of the PDK, too. Quicker shifting and more involving than the standard PDK. Get a CPO and no need to compromise the coverage with mods.
Cheers! Yup, agreed. Going from a Carrera T that I’ve heavily modded to a 991.2 GT3 that I’ll keep OEM and covered by the Porsche extended warranty. My one will be a manual, like your Chalk one.
John D II (07-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Upgrade from Carrera T to GT3?