Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade from Carrera T to GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 06:00 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts

Oh exciting! I’m pretty sure you’ll not be disappointed🤓 I don’t think I’ll ever forget driving my 991.2 back from Scotland to Ireland, it was my first time in a GT3 of any description and I couldn’t believe how bloody good it was.

I keep mine in warranty too, after many years of messing with cars (making them worse) I prefer peace of mind now.

For reference I bought mine in good faith from a OPC and the prep was appalling so be careful. The internal bleed nipples were seized on all four calipers and new brake pipes were needed as they were very rusty.

I got it sorted eventually but it took quite a fight with Porsche UK as the OPC completely ignored me. Wouldn’t have happened at my local OPC though as they are excellent.
The following users liked this post:
Wing Commander (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 09:57 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 164 Posts

I know you've made your decision - congratulations!!!

I thought about this hard in 2022. I sold my company and had lots of options. After driving Turbo S, GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and a spectacular 458, I kept the T (which is stock BTW). While the others are outrageously good, for me, the T was just more nimble and practical as a street car and the fact that it was my first 911 ordered bespoke for me - I couldn't sell it. When I moved to Abu Dhabi, I scratched the itch with a Taycan4s which I also adore. I miss the 911 while its in storage, but have it the next few weeks while I'm in the US West Coast.

Enjoy your GT3, and don't be a stranger in the 991 forum. I'll miss your epic posts!

All the best.

Old 07-18-2024, 03:46 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,281 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by JOSCAL
Oh exciting! I’m pretty sure you’ll not be disappointed🤓 I don’t think I’ll ever forget driving my 991.2 back from Scotland to Ireland, it was my first time in a GT3 of any description and I couldn’t believe how bloody good it was.

I keep mine in warranty too, after many years of messing with cars (making them worse) I prefer peace of mind now.

For reference I bought mine in good faith from a OPC and the prep was appalling so be careful. The internal bleed nipples were seized on all four calipers and new brake pipes were needed as they were very rusty.

I got it sorted eventually but it took quite a fight with Porsche UK as the OPC completely ignored me. Wouldn’t have happened at my local OPC though as they are excellent.
Thanks! I am extremely impressed with RPM Technik so far. They appear to have a great customer service ethic, looking to make long term relationships with their clients & their cars.

They do a 111-point pre-sale inspection and I can’t honestly believe that any OPC would be so thorough. They use the same equipment and software as used in OPCs. And they’re one of only three places in the country to have a bespoke machine for measuring PCCBs, the other two being Porsche Reading and one of the Scottish OPCs.

They’ve offered a tour of their premises when I pick up my GT3 on Tuesday.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:55 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
I know you've made your decision - congratulations!!!

I thought about this hard in 2022. I sold my company and had lots of options. After driving Turbo S, GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and a spectacular 458, I kept the T (which is stock BTW). While the others are outrageously good, for me, the T was just more nimble and practical as a street car and the fact that it was my first 911 ordered bespoke for me - I couldn't sell it. When I moved to Abu Dhabi, I scratched the itch with a Taycan4s which I also adore. I miss the 911 while its in storage, but have it the next few weeks while I'm in the US West Coast.

Enjoy your GT3, and don't be a stranger in the 991 forum. I'll miss your epic posts!

All the best.
Thanks for your message!

My T is a special car. Ordered by me and owned since new. I’ve had it longer than any other car (over 6 years & 3 months) but I’ve always yearned for a GT3. I love watching the 991.2 GT3 videos of Henry Catchpole!

To be honest, I had almost given up on being able to trade up to a GT3 until this unexpected redundancy package materialised recently!

I will certainly stay on this Rennlist forum! It’s a great community!

I’ll start a new thread when I actually get my GT3, hopefully next Tuesday!

All the best,

Simon
Old 07-18-2024, 03:58 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by spyderbret
Congrats! You will love it!
Thank you! New thread incoming shortly!
spyderbret (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 04:36 AM
Rich_911T
Pro

Received 1,076 Likes on 374 Posts

Sorta in same boat , I’m currently in a 992 T and possibly moving to a manual 991.2 gt3 . Found a great spec in chalk like my T ( clearly can’t get enough this color) was stuck for a few hours if I could jump from 992 to 991 ….. think the answer is absolutely
Old 07-18-2024, 04:57 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich_911T
Sorta in same boat , I’m currently in a 992 T and possibly moving to a manual 991.2 gt3 . Found a great spec in chalk like my T ( clearly can’t get enough this color) was stuck for a few hours if I could jump from 992 to 991 ….. think the answer is absolutely
Go for it!

What’s the spec of the Chalk 991.2 GT3?

Any pics?
Old 07-18-2024, 05:31 AM
markiegt3
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats on your purchase.

I would definitely get a fast road geo set up done in time by RPM. Does make the car more eager to turn, but not nervous.

Look forward to hearing about your experiences with the new car
Old 07-18-2024, 06:11 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by markiegt3
Congrats on your purchase.

I would definitely get a fast road geo set up done in time by RPM. Does make the car more eager to turn, but not nervous.

Look forward to hearing about your experiences with the new car
Thanks! Friends have also mentioned a company called Center Gravity here in the UK for suspension tuning.

Being a novice to GT cars, I didn’t necessarily think that the GT3 would need such a service, but am open to suggestions and constructive advice!
Old 07-18-2024, 10:34 AM
roadawg1608
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Thanks! Friends have also mentioned a company called Center Gravity here in the UK for suspension tuning.

Being a novice to GT cars, I didn’t necessarily think that the GT3 would need such a service, but am open to suggestions and constructive advice!
I can't find anything needed to upgrade after about a year of owning mine with the exception of an alignment. That's my only "mod". I've tried to find things but its the only car I've ever owned that its just sorted the way it is and I've always modified my cars. This took some time to get used to, just the idea as upgrading several "weaknesses" was just always part of the equation but with this car, keep her clean and have fun.

After a lot of thought and research about what the car needed, I ended up just going to a local race shop who highly recommended a "race" alignment to dial it in, as the suspension settings can be out of whack many times. It wasn't bad by any means before, in fact we're splitting hairs but after dialing in the camber, and a few other tweaks the car's turn in is sharper, and it rotates better overall.

Last edited by roadawg1608; 07-18-2024 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:57 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by roadawg1608
I can't find anything needed to upgrade after about a year of owning mine with the exception of an alignment. That's my only "mod". I've tried to find things but its the only car I've ever owned that its just sorted the way it is and I've always modified my cars. This took some time to get used to, just the idea as upgrading several "weaknesses" was just always part of the equation but with this car, keep her clean and have fun.

After a lot of thought and research about what the car needed, I ended up just going to a local race shop who highly recommended a "race" alignment to dial it in, as the suspension settings can be out of whack many times. It wasn't bad by any means before, in fact we're splitting hairs but after dialing in the camber, and a few other tweaks the car's turn in is sharper, and it rotates better overall.
Thanks!

I won’t be tracking mine, but will certainly mention the idea to RPM Technik for their view.

In any event, I think I’ll get a couple of thousand miles under my belt before having anything done.
Old 07-19-2024, 03:15 AM
jbatchelor
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
They use the same equipment and software as used in OPCs. And they’re one of only three places in the country to have a bespoke machine for measuring PCCBs, the other two being Porsche Reading and one of the Scottish OPCs.

Enjoy the GT3, Simon. Any GT3 is quite an experience.

But I don't know where you got that tale from, about measuring PCCB rotor life. The Carboteq 'Proceq' hand-held workshop tool is a standard VW / Audi / Porsche workshop tool and is (or should be) held by all OPCs in the UK. It measures the degree of oxididation that has taken place in the carbon-composite structure of the rotors and, from that, remaining life can be calculated. Measurements are best taken with the rotors off the car (the presence of nearby metal parts, including dust shields, can affect readings). It's a very quick job; last time I had mine measured it took 10 minutes in the OPC inspection bay and the OPC didn't even charge me for the work!

And you have mentioned Centre Gravity, who are Nuneaton/Hinckley based. I would thoroughly recommend a visit. I've had two GT3s and my current 718 Spyder checked and adjusted by them, always with impressive results. Half a day spent there with either Chris or Pete will be highly enjoyable as well as hugely informative; what they don't know about P-car set-up isn't worth knowing!

Just tell them what you want from the car, even if it's just to check geo for on-road use. Personally, I have learned to shy-away from any form of race (or even 'fast road' set up), particularly given the state of UK roads, but to experience a GT3 (or Spyder) once it has been properly set up is a revelation; you will really feel the benefit. Their reputation is second to none - borne out by the likely wait time to get a slot. But be sure to do it!

As I say, enjoy the new car; it will be quite special.

James

Last edited by jbatchelor; 07-19-2024 at 03:27 AM.
Wing Commander (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 03:42 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbatchelor
Enjoy the GT3, Simon. Any GT3 is quite an experience.

But I don't know where you got that tale from, about measuring PCCB rotor life. The Carboteq 'Proceq' hand-held workshop tool is a standard VW / Audi / Porsche workshop tool and is (or should be) held by all OPCs in the UK. It measures the degree of oxididation that has taken place in the carbon-composite structure of the rotors and, from that, remaining life can be calculated. Measurements are best taken with the rotors off the car (the presence of nearby metal parts, including dust shields, can affect readings). It's a very quick job; last time I had mine measured it took 10 minutes in the OPC inspection bay and the OPC didn't even charge me for the work!

And you have mentioned Centre Gravity, who are Nuneaton/Hinckley based. I would thoroughly recommend a visit. I've had two GT3s and my current 718 Spyder checked and adjusted by them, always with impressive results. Half a day spent there with either Chris or Pete will be highly enjoyable as well as hugely informative; what they don't know about P-car set-up isn't worth knowing!

Just tell them what you want from the car, even if it's just to check geo for on-road use. Personally, I have learned to shy-away from any form of race (or even 'fast road' set up), particularly given the state of UK roads, but to experience a GT3 (or Spyder) once it has been properly set up is a revelation; you will really feel the benefit. Their reputation is second to none - borne out by the likely wait time to get a slot. But be sure to do it!

As I say, enjoy the new car; it will be quite special.

James
Hi James,

Thanks for your message!

I got the impression from RPM Technik that it’s a more substantial piece of kit they have for measuring PCCB discs, as opposed to a hand-held tool. I’ll ask on Tuesday when I’m there and hopefully get to see their workshop facilities.

Yes, a friend with a 718 Spyder has spoken highly of Center Gravity, and I think he also took his 992 GT3 there previously. As you say, the lead time (around 8 weeks or so) speaks to their reputation.

Am really grateful for your thoughts, so please keep them coming.

Only four days now until collection! Can’t wait!

Cheers,

Simon
Old 07-19-2024, 04:03 AM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts

The first cold start up is an experience that doesn’t get old!

Id recommend the DSC controller, it’s by no means essential but I had it in the both the T and GT3 and it’s very impressive and relatively cheap.

Bit of light reading to build the excitement😊
https://www.stuttcars.com/wp-content...11GT3_2018.pdf

The following 2 users liked this post by JOSCAL:
spyderbret (07-25-2024), Wing Commander (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 04:18 AM
jbatchelor
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi again Simon

Yes, the Carboteq tool (known as VAS6813) is the official Porsche tool, mandated throughout their network. Also used by BMW, I believe.

https://media.screeningeagle.com/***...glish_high.pdf

Would be interesting (just curious, really) to know the percentage life of your rotors assuming that RPM Techniq have measured them. I love PCCBs because you can actually feel the reduction in sprung mass, they are super-easy to modulate, have tremendous stopping power (mind - all GT cars have outstanding brakes) and as everyone says they are largely dust free. Secretly, that's probably the main advantage for most people most of the time.

For normal road use, they have a very long life (in excess of 100k miles with the latest 'Gen 3' rotors introduced with 991.1) though be careful to change pads once they get below 50% worn. And watch-out with wheel removal or changing as the edges of the rotors are easy to chip - and replacements are rather expensive. It's aggressive track driving that chews through rotor life with repeated cycles of high-temperature use accelerating the carbon oxidation process and reducing the remaining life. But you're not planning on any track use (how often have I heard that!) so you'll be fine.

James

Last edited by jbatchelor; 07-19-2024 at 04:21 AM.
Wing Commander (07-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Upgrade from Carrera T to GT3?