Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless Apple CarPlay options

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 02:24 AM
inspire
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Let me know how the DashLynx it, I have seen no reviews on YouTube or any feedback online yet
Old 05-05-2024, 11:27 AM
worriedcone
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I will post up a review here once I've tested it properly. I have a 2018 991.2 GT3 with wired Carplay.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:55 AM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by inspire
Let me know how the DashLynx it, I have seen no reviews on YouTube or any feedback online yet
Here's the deal with YouTube reviews that people need to get: Almost all of them, like 99.9% of the time, are glowing. Why? Because they're all about making dough for the affiliate links in the video description. If they trash a product, they won't sell it, and they won't get paid. Check out some of those products with rave YouTube reviews, then peek at the Amazon reviews. You'll see the problem.

Every one of those YouTube reviews has a clear goal: to make someone money through affiliate links. Seriously, every time you look in the description, there it is. The hype around these YouTube reviews blinds people to their real purpose – making cash for the reviewer.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:51 AM
WhySock
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tugboat 996
I bought one of the Ottocasts and it seems to be working fine, Just curious, when does power to the USB outlet turn off? When I have open the center console, the light on the Ottocast is already on,. I am sure it shuts off….right?
Originally Posted by 9914s
Mine stays on too. But that small led “shouldn't” be a problem to the battery. Will see I guess.
Originally Posted by Tugboat 996
I just messed with mine today....and yes, it eventually shuts off. Strangely, it stays on much longer than the interior lights do (once the key is out and I have left the car). I did not lock it. Not sure that I really care, but it stays on for 10 minutes or so.
Installed an Ottocast last night in my 2RS and it worked well. Fairly quick pairing, and seemed to transmit well. I drove it to the gym, and when I came out an hour later the light was still on. I'm guessing that USB is always powered? Not sure if the Ottocast is still "transmitting" or whatever it does, but the light shouldn't be too much of a battery drain. I'll just unplug it when I know I'm not going to drive the car for a few days.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:55 AM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WhySock
Installed an Ottocast last night in my 2RS and it worked well. Fairly quick pairing, and seemed to transmit well. I drove it to the gym, and when I came out an hour later the light was still on. I'm guessing that USB is always powered? Not sure if the Ottocast is still "transmitting" or whatever it does, but the light shouldn't be too much of a battery drain. I'll just unplug it when I know I'm not going to drive the car for a few days.
The only question is, what do you do when it fails six months later? Who do you go to?
Old 05-08-2024, 12:00 PM
Pierregirard
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want wireless CarPlay, try the CPLAY2air USB Adapter. It lets you use CarPlay without plugging in, and it’s super easy to install—just connect it to the USB port. You can also check out CarLinkit 3.0/4.0, which works with most cars that have wired CarPlay.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:11 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pierregirard
If you want wireless CarPlay, try the CPLAY2air USB Adapter. It lets you use CarPlay without plugging in, and it’s super easy to install—just connect it to the USB port. You can also check out CarLinkit 3.0/4.0, which works with most cars that have wired CarPlay.
Or buy one made in USA with five five-year warranty

LINK TO THE PRODUCT

Forum members get $100 off coupon rennlist100

Old 05-08-2024, 01:27 PM
AirKuhl
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 for the Ottocast. Just works. Has been working flawlessly for dozens of drives. Actually more consistent than the factory wireless Carplay in my truck. I'm buying a few more for the wife's Cayenne and daughter's Subaru. For only 60 bucks I can buy half a dozen and if one ever fails I'll just throw it away and replace it.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:34 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AirKuhl
+1 for the Ottocast. Just works. Has been working flawlessly for dozens of drives. Actually more consistent than the factory wireless Carplay in my truck. I'm buying a few more for the wife's Cayenne and daughter's Subaru. For only 60 bucks I can buy half a dozen and if one ever fails I'll just throw it away and replace it.
Sure, if you want to help the Chinese economy grow and see all the money going there, then yes. But if you're living in the US and you really care about the future of this country, I suggest buying American. It's getting really tough, but it's possible with our product.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:31 PM
AirKuhl
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DashLynx
Sure, if you want to help the Chinese economy grow and see all the money going there, then yes. But if you're living in the US and you really care about the future of this country, I suggest buying American. It's getting really tough, but it's possible with our product.
This thread is about wireless Apple CarPlay options, not just Dashlynx. I'm going to guess that spamming this thread with a hard sell and insulting people who chose other options isn't going to win you many customers.

As far as Chinese products go, I go out of my way to buy US made products but if you really want to go down this path I'm going to guess that every component inside your product right down to the USB cable it ships with is made in China. So it's more accurately "assembled in the USA using Chinese components". While that's better than drop shipping from Chinese factories, that's the unfortunate reality of our world economy. If I'm wrong about that, then great! You should call out on your website that all discrete electronic components inside your product are 100% made in the USA, as that is pretty much unheard of and should be highlighted.
The following 4 users liked this post by AirKuhl:
9914s (05-08-2024), 991C2S88 (05-29-2024), ATX_Native (05-15-2024), NSD991 (05-11-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 02:41 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AirKuhl
This thread is about wireless Apple CarPlay options, not just Dashlynx. I'm going to guess that spamming this thread with a hard sell and insulting people who chose other options isn't going to win you many customers.

As far as Chinese products go, I go out of my way to buy US made products but if you really want to go down this path I'm going to guess that every component inside your product right down to the USB cable it ships with is made in China. So it's more accurately "assembled in the USA using Chinese components". While that's better than drop shipping from Chinese factories, that's the unfortunate reality of our world economy. If I'm wrong about that, then great! You should call out on your website that all discrete electronic components inside your product are 100% made in the USA, as that is pretty much unheard of and should be highlighted.
The product is designed and manufactured in the USA, not just assembled here. Most of the components come from Taiwan since Taiwanese semiconductor companies produce around 90% of the world's chips. Unfortunately, while many components may be made in Taiwan or even China, we prioritize using the highest quality ones. We manufacture the printed circuit boards (PCBs) in the USA and have our own factory to assemble them along with the final product.

It's not just a matter of assembling parts and slapping on a sticker; our products are genuinely made in the USA. The major difference lies in the brands and quality of components we use. We opt for the highest quality components to ensure that our products last for many years to come.

Even though the components may originate from Taiwan or China, we still purchase them from manufacturers in the United States. Some of these components, despite being manufactured in China or Taiwan, are shipped directly to the USA. The supply chains are structured in such a way that the components come from China to the USA and then may go back to China for distribution to local markets.

Products made in China often use the lowest quality components available in Chinese markets. These components are not designed for longevity, especially in vehicles where they're exposed to factors like moisture and sudden temperature changes
Old 05-09-2024, 03:33 AM
thatonealex
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought the cheapest one I could find on Aliexpress, $20. Works like a charm, never had any issues with disconnects or bugging out.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:11 AM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by thatonealex
Bought the cheapest one I could find on Aliexpress, $20. Works like a charm, never had any issues with disconnects or bugging out.
But if somebody has the support made in the USA, it helps to grow our economy here rather than boosting the economy of another country.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:38 PM
innout
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

This has been working flawless for me:
Amazon.com: CarPlay Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay 2024 Upgrade Plug & Play Dongle Converts Wired to Wireless Fast and Easy Use Fit for Cars from 2015 & iPhone iOS 10+ : Electronics Amazon.com: CarPlay Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay 2024 Upgrade Plug & Play Dongle Converts Wired to Wireless Fast and Easy Use Fit for Cars from 2015 & iPhone iOS 10+ : Electronics
Old 05-10-2024, 04:25 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

The Carlinkit has a pass thru USB port to retain the charging capability of the storage compartment. I find that feature useful. It appears some of these don't offer that, which is nice to have.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Quick Reply: Wireless Apple CarPlay options