Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current options for trackable tires for 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 08:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by slipaway37
Many comments at last week's track event that the Supercar 3 perform better than CUP2s.
Not trying to start tire fights, just conveying what several other very experienced GT3 driver's all said.

The only technical 'issue' is that the Supercar 3 305/30/ZR/20 rears are not an XL load rated spec.
Yeah, I do have a bit of concern about the load rating. Should I be worried? The load rating is much higher than the static load at each wheel.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:59 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yeah, I do have a bit of concern about the load rating. Should I be worried? The load rating is much higher than the static load at each wheel.
I too was a bit skeptical, but was rest assured there is of no concern.
Of course someone may state otherwise, but I have witnessed a 991.1 putting them through the test all day at very high cornering speeds, as well as quick-snap horizontal movements with no problem.
CUP2 103Y = 1,929
Supercar 3 99Y = 1,709

I believe the 992 GT3 has these as a 21" option???
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (10-22-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 10:11 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

I wouldn't run Daytona with them but other than that I wouldn't worry.

Peter
The following 2 users liked this post by 85Gold:
GT3_Driver (12-23-2023), Manifold (10-22-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 03:32 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

I ran Goodyear SC3 tires on my (comparatively) heavy GTS all season. While they do not have the correct load rating, the actual weight of my car is well within the load specs for the GYs.

At LRP, for my driving, they were consistently .7-1" off the pace of Michelin Cup2s. For HPDE use, I don't care about the nominal speed difference as I was mainly opting for tires that held up better. After almost the full season, the tires held up very well and were wearing evenly (as opposed to Michelins which would have given up and started chunking apart long ago for me). I was starting at ~ 26 PSI and aiming for 32 PSI hot. Out of a 30 minute session, the tires would be nicely sorted between 10-17 minutes in. By minute 20, the temps/pressures would have spiked and the grip would fall off a cliff in the space of about a lap. So, again for me, the longevity came at the price of reduced session times as there wasn't much point staying out after the tires were done.

While they definitely had more life in them, I went ahead and swapped them out early this week for Nankang CR-S tires for my last day on Nov. 5th. I am super curious to see if they live up to the hype.

The one other comment on the GYs is that their street performance wasn't really to my liking. The ride quality of bumps was significantly more harsh than the Michelins and straight line tracking on the highway was always a bit squirrelly. I had thought i was just an alignment issue, so was surprised when the Nankangs rectified the straight line tracking with no other changes and, thus far, seem to be more compliant for road imperfections.

Long story short, I didn't hate the GYs at all and would rate them higher than the Michelins just by virtue of them not actively falling apart (I don't mean wearing out... that's expected on the track. I'm talking chunks of rubber coming off the shoulders). The fact that they are more readily available and *much* cheaper than most other options is also a big win. They have done very well on the street in wet weather (never had them on the track in the wet) and the wear was phenomenal. As long as you're realistic about what they can handle from a heat point of view, I think you'll be happy.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
I ran Goodyear SC3 tires on my (comparatively) heavy GTS all season. While they do not have the correct load rating, the actual weight of my car is well within the load specs for the GYs.

At LRP, for my driving, they were consistently .7-1" off the pace of Michelin Cup2s. For HPDE use, I don't care about the nominal speed difference as I was mainly opting for tires that held up better. After almost the full season, the tires held up very well and were wearing evenly (as opposed to Michelins which would have given up and started chunking apart long ago for me). I was starting at ~ 26 PSI and aiming for 32 PSI hot. Out of a 30 minute session, the tires would be nicely sorted between 10-17 minutes in. By minute 20, the temps/pressures would have spiked and the grip would fall off a cliff in the space of about a lap. So, again for me, the longevity came at the price of reduced session times as there wasn't much point staying out after the tires were done.

While they definitely had more life in them, I went ahead and swapped them out early this week for Nankang CR-S tires for my last day on Nov. 5th. I am super curious to see if they live up to the hype.

The one other comment on the GYs is that their street performance wasn't really to my liking. The ride quality of bumps was significantly more harsh than the Michelins and straight line tracking on the highway was always a bit squirrelly. I had thought i was just an alignment issue, so was surprised when the Nankangs rectified the straight line tracking with no other changes and, thus far, seem to be more compliant for road imperfections.

Long story short, I didn't hate the GYs at all and would rate them higher than the Michelins just by virtue of them not actively falling apart (I don't mean wearing out... that's expected on the track. I'm talking chunks of rubber coming off the shoulders). The fact that they are more readily available and *much* cheaper than most other options is also a big win. They have done very well on the street in wet weather (never had them on the track in the wet) and the wear was phenomenal. As long as you're realistic about what they can handle from a heat point of view, I think you'll be happy.
I too am noticing that the SC3 are noticeably rougher than the Cup 2 on the road. I drove with the SC3 in the rain on the road and it did fine, but the tires only had a couple track days on them, so still plenty of tread.

I also find that the PB lap will come from Cup 2 rather than SC3, but the Cup 2 need to be at their best for pressure and temp, otherwise the SC3 are better, and the Cup 2 usually aren't at their best.

I did find that the SC3 lost some grip after about 20-25 minutes, but they still had enough grip to make it worth driving, whereas I've found that the grip of the Cup 2 is way down after less than 10 minutes of hard driving.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:08 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

I did find that the SC3 lost some grip after about 20-25 minutes, but they still had enough grip to make it worth driving, whereas I've found that the grip of the Cup 2 is way down after less than 10 minutes of hard driving.
It's funny that we experienced almost the opposite results between tires. To be fair, the suspension on my car is nowhere near as sensibly adjustable for track use as your car is, so that may well play into things a bit too (not to mention the extra weight for my car).
Old 10-25-2022, 04:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
It's funny that we experienced almost the opposite results between tires. To be fair, the suspension on my car is nowhere near as sensibly adjustable for track use as your car is, so that may well play into things a bit too (not to mention the extra weight for my car).
Could have something to do with alignment and driving style. But people I've talked with in various cars are finding the same thing as me with regard to how long it takes before the tires lose grip.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-25-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:29 AM
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Has anyone tried Advan Neova AD09s? Thoughts?
Old 12-23-2023, 01:52 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Has anyone tried Advan Neova AD09s? Thoughts?
Interested in seeing a review on these. I really like Advans, and would strongly consider them when it's time to replace my MPSC2s next year.
Do not like the asymmetrical tread design however, and it really bothers me.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:31 AM
Pro

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre-Typ...etition-Tyres/

they are ranked fairly high here, above Cup 2s. Curious if anyone had real world experience
Old 12-28-2023, 09:26 PM
Pro

Went ahead and got a set, will report back later

The following 4 users liked this post by 786:
9914s (12-28-2023), Dreamer99 (12-29-2023), ninefiveone (12-28-2023), TET GT3 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 08:37 PM
Dreamer99
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Went ahead and got a set, will report back later

Just curious, how does the width compare to the Cup2’s?
Old 12-30-2023, 09:59 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 977 Likes on 540 Posts

oh wow, AD09 are in OE 991 sizes. So great that these aftermarket options are becoming available. And just $1400 for the set right now! That won't last. Fronts are oos though...
Old 12-30-2023, 03:54 PM
Mop
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

991.1 gt3 owner. I swapped over to AD09's earlier this year due to the price difference ($1500 for set vs MPSC2 / Dunlops SportMaxx Race2's >$2.2k). By no means am I a pro driver but got about ~20+ track days of experience and run ~mid to above mid pack in advanced run groups. Overall, AD09 seems to be a great tire, would recommend trying them out yourself. Ran ~6 HPDE days so far on them (Sonoma Raceway + Laguna Seca) and they haven't fallen off yet like my SC2's did after ~5 days (granted the SC2s were old). Ran 1:53.1 at Sonoma and 1:38.8 at Laguna Seca with them. Im sure im at least ~5-6 seconds off pace of a top tier driver at sonoma, and maybe 4 seconds at Laguna. But other folks with more experience feel free to chime in!
Old 12-30-2023, 11:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
oh wow, AD09 are in OE 991 sizes. So great that these aftermarket options are becoming available. And just $1400 for the set right now! That won't last. Fronts are oos though...
ya I got the last 2 lol

Quick Reply: Current options for trackable tires for 991 GT3?