GT3 Allocation Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 03:47 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts
Default GT3 Allocation Games

Wanted to run something by you guys.

I placed deposits with my local dealer - won't mention their name - for multiple cars - GT3, GT3RS, and others.

The way they used to work, when your turn was next, they would reach out and ask if you want to build the car and submit it, otherwise you can always say forget it and get your refund back or place it for a different car in the future.

I placed a deposit for the upcoming car (a few years ago) and now all of a sudden they are requiring that you purchase a Porsche Watch, PPF Film, Ceramic Coating, And Wheel and Tire Package through them to get the car. Basically 20k worth of stuff I do not need.

My sales guy said every single person is declining their offer and is jumping off the list.

I have already left them a nasty review on Google and Yelp - hopefully this gets their attention.

Keep in mind I purchased my last GT3 from them at MSRP, and always serviced my car with them. Also sent people their way, and used to refer them. Not anymore.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by RLNTL3S; 03-08-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:49 PM
HRJ
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 43 Posts

Good eject
Old 03-08-2021, 04:41 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I see you are in PA. What dealer?
Old 03-08-2021, 04:46 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

A not so subtle way to reduce the list size. Surprised they simply aren’t transparent about the ADM they want vs. the requirement to force the ancillary products. Many do opt for the PPF snd coatings, etc but likely don’t want the dealer managing that step.

When I lived in Phoenix I regularly visited Porsche North Scottsdale. Overall knowledgeable and professional sales associates. Wouldn’t budge an inch in regards to their prices. We shook hands, he said we will welcome you back for service. I bought the 997 turbo elsewhere and used that dealer for all services. I was treated fairly and respectfully even though they knew I bought a car from another dealer.

Hopefully you are treated the same even as you give your business to another dealer for the initial purchase.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Yup, just another way to get ADM. By doing it this way, they can still claim to be an MSRP dealer, albeit slyly. And guess what, I'm sure some people will pay the $20K worth of "dealer installed options "aka ADM. Lessons from the last GT3 generation sales remain unlearned.

Last edited by Palting; 03-08-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:21 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Thoughts are if you really want the car negotiate the ADM
Old 03-08-2021, 05:25 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

I would get my deposits back and move on. Also I doubt they care as much as you think they do about you buying previous cars there, service etc.
The following users liked this post:
CPTAmericaMV (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:29 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Dealers do all sorts of things. From installing window tint to having market adjustments listed on a separate sticker. These dealers can do whatever they want. I just won't buy from them. Just ordered a Cayman T from a local dealer in Georgia. No requirements for the spec. No requirements for anything extra. They were the same when I bought my GT4. And they offered me a GT3 allocation for a 991.2 at MSRP.
​​​​​​
Plenty of other brands and places to buy. I refuse to deal with that and would drop off the list to either go to another Porsche dealer or an alternate brand.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 145 Posts

In the past I just paid a cash ADM; will they not do that for less than $20K? I say "in the past" because I'm done with that crap. I have said that before and caved in when I was offered a car at a reasonable ADM...
Old 03-08-2021, 06:21 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

The watch and the tire package are bull**** but most owners I’m sure will PPF and ceramic coat their cars.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:04 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

New management? Seems like big change in terms of your previous purchase. Tell them MSRP as customary or no thank you.
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (03-12-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 07:11 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Ransom, and ethics are pretty high in my book. I hate seeing this crap, and personally the more say yes it will happen. I passed on my MSRP slot for the right reasons, and I hope the next doesn’t get screwed with this non-sense. My personal view it’s just a car, and not that important if treated this way sorry to hear.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
michaeldorian (03-08-2021), zmon (03-09-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:00 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
The watch and the tire package are bull**** but most owners I’m sure will PPF and ceramic coat their cars.
Yes. But I wouldn't have the dealer do either. And I certainly wouldn't if they were trying to force me to do it.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:29 AM
josephvman
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 129 Posts

Well, if you're asking for thoughts, my thought is that leaving nasty reviews on Google and Yelp is the sort of BS a sixteen year old girl does and not a full-grown man. If your salesman told you that "every single person" is jumping off their list, it seems like it would have made more sense to sit tight and let the inital frenzy play out. If you had any chance of getting one without the adds you probably pissed that away with a very childish move. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
Wanted to run something by you guys.

I placed deposits with my local dealer - won't mention their name - for multiple cars - GT3, GT3RS, and others.

The way they used to work, when your turn was next, they would reach out and ask if you want to build the car and submit it, otherwise you can always say forget it and get your refund back or place it for a different car in the future.

I placed a deposit for the upcoming car (a few years ago) and now all of a sudden they are requiring that you purchase a Porsche Watch, PPF Film, Ceramic Coating, And Wheel and Tire Package through them to get the car. Basically 20k worth of stuff I do not need.

My sales guy said every single person is declining their offer and is jumping off the list.

I have already left them a nasty review on Google and Yelp - hopefully this gets their attention.

Keep in mind I purchased my last GT3 from them at MSRP, and always serviced my car with them. Also sent people their way, and used to refer them. Not anymore.

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-09-2021, 07:38 AM
stpatsday
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry to hear you were treated this way. There’s a word for this and it's called: “greed”. All too common in today’s world where loyalty and straightforward business is being lost. You should speak directly to the GM or Owner and tell then your idea is to have a long term friendship and win-win relationship that keeps you buying new Porsches for a decade or more— not shenanigans.
Or you find a new dealer. Porsche is going to make lots of GT3s. It’s not 2008. Good luck.

FWIW i live in PA and my dealer told me they aren’t creating a list with deposits anymore. The GM will choose who gets a GT car when Porsche allocates them to him. He said. “if you want a new GT car; i will get one for you.” I have to trust him.

Quick Reply: GT3 Allocation Games