Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS Complete Engine Failure & PCNA Response

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by oliver991
100% stock everything. Put on your glasses.
Don't be rude. The guy asked a fair question.
The following users liked this post:
Rockerchief (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 12:34 PM
oliver991
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shahrukh_bakar
OP, obviously people will give differing opinions regarding whether the compensation was adequate or not, that’s a matter of debate.

Was any specific fault diagnosed or was the whole engine shipped back to Germany for root cause analysis?
Agreed.

Dealer sent the entire engine back to PCNA. Don't know beyond that.

Facts:
No specific fault was found
Oil samples sent to PCNA.
Oil was clean but had metallic fragments
Oil was at proper level and clean- approx 2k miles since the last oil change.
Mid Jan there were 3 new engines left in inventory. By the time I picked up the car 3rd week of Feb- zero engines left.

I've heard privately from a couple of people who had very similar circumstances of complete engine failure in .2 RS's. All relatively low mileage.
PCNA obviously uses NDAs and cash settlements with people to shut them up. I signed nothing. On the .1 issue its not like PCNA announced the warranty and fix upon reviewing failure stats, which they obviously had. They didn't get in front of it. It was after it couldn't be contained that they finally responded. It's a matter of cost savings, customer retention and PR.

The question is- is this widespread or not. Granted- people who have had issues are not exactly jumping on this thread to report them. Whether it's because the issue doesn't exist or for a more nefarious reason (NDA) is unknown.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:08 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

"The question is- is this widespread or not".

NO. Next topic please
The following 2 users liked this post by inverterman:
Apex Ace (02-27-2021), Rockerchief (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 01:45 PM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks. Forums are of course biased by the fact that people don’t come here and post if everything is working well. Nevertheless I think it is important to document these failures as much as possible so that if a trend does emerge, it can be investigated and analyzed. Good on OP for posting regardless of your opinions about the compensation provided. An engine failure is a major event.
The following 2 users liked this post by shahrukh_bakar:
catdog2 (02-27-2021), oliver991 (02-28-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:23 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Agree that most are likely not going to post their engine failure. Just like others won’t post about their missed shift. Some do, and you can see how that thread(s) worked out for that person who didn’t want to get shamed. They are out there and you can search this forum about it or simply talk to your local shop or dealer as I have. There is no immunity from challenges with any GT generation. As an owner of a RS you don’t look forward to reading about these types of situations but inevitably stuff happens. I appreciate when things are disclosed to possibly learn something. Do I need to opt for a different oil, adjust maintenance routines, etc. What was the environment when the problem occurred, etc.
catdog2 (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:39 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I forgot to add I had a spun rod on my 2010 Viper ACR. Not a penny or a day of extra warranty from Dodge. 2 months to rebuild and put in the new engine. In the summer.

OP I think it’s time you moved on from this. It’s obvious your intent to garner sympathy about the “settlement “ from PCNA has backfired. Pretty much everyone agrees it was more than fair.

Good luck in your future car ownership.
Rockerchief (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:43 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 911 Posts

You do realize that by posting this here you are not helping your diminished value concerns any. I never understand how people forget that internet is public and its not very hard for people to figure out which car. It cracks me up when people post their money shift or accidents or engine failures. No good can come from posting this if you are concerned with resale value.

I personally dont care about this stuff because I drive my cars so much that the miles on them hurt resale much more than a replaced engine. The above statement was for more your point of view because you seemed to care about resale value.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
catdog2 (02-27-2021), RUF RS (03-01-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:54 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
You do realize that by posting this here you are not helping your diminished value concerns any. I never understand how people forget that internet is public and its not very hard for people to figure out which car. It cracks me up when people post their money shift or accidents or engine failures. No good can come from posting this if you are concerned with resale value.
I agree this is the primary reason most wouldn't share this type of information. I think it is quite impressive the level of detail that gets dug up on here.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Wayne McCamey
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine failure

I also lost engine. Purchased certified Gt3RS with 2400 miles. Lost oil pressure lite appeared along with noise. Dealer picked up car within 45minutes of phone call. Called me back upon towe service delivery. Later same day dealer called stated Porsche approved new engine. Nine days later car returned and performs perfectly. Hate lost engine but things do happen. Feel Porsche and Harper dealership handled very well
josephvman (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 03:58 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne McCamey
I also lost engine. Purchased certified Gt3RS with 2400 miles. Lost oil pressure lite appeared along with noise. Dealer picked up car within 45minutes of phone call. Called me back upon towe service delivery. Later same day dealer called stated Porsche approved new engine. Nine days later car returned and performs perfectly. Hate lost engine but things do happen. Feel Porsche and Harper dealership handled very well
was that a 991.1 or 991.2 GT3RS?
just to help the OP in his quest for da truth
oliver991 (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 06:37 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

I can understand your frustration...You invested $200K in a high end sports car known for their superior engineering and their endurance racing history and the engine detonates. But I think a new engine and $3,500K is about all anyone could hope for. I would begrudgingly just grit my teeth and except their offer...as in Declare victory and move on. As to keeping the car, I don't know what I would do. I would probably sell it for the best price I could get and buy something else, maybe try a McLaren or a GT2?
oliver991 (02-28-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 08:25 PM
Diamond 9
Intermediate

Or Pinto 😂😂😂😂
Old 02-27-2021, 08:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You have zero diminished value. You have a new motor, and an extended warranty. Your car's value has increased.
This x100. OP, accept that deal. Your car would sell for more with the new motor and two extra years of warranty than it would have the day before your engine failed.

And it would be great if you would post each of the 10 failures you referenced. Saying you ‘heard about them’ isn’t data.

Last edited by Archimedes; 02-27-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Unfortunate to hear about the experience and hopefully this doesn’t become a trend on the .2 cars with PDK.

However I do think the resolution they gave is sufficient. $3500, 2 years of extra warranty and a fresh ($70k?) engine.

I understand how it feels to be in a situation like that. I bought a CPO C2S and when it started having problems it was at my local dealer for a week, with no resolution, then 4-6 weeks, with PCNA techs flying in, who couldn’t figure out the issue. My dealer then bought the car from me (with a terrible trade in that I ultimately accepted), since I didn’t want it anymore (it was a braking/safety issue) and then resold the car at a $10k profit. Then to top it off, they wanted to charge me $3500 for parts (such as new pads, rotors, and tires) that they told me could fix the issue but I insisted before hand wouldn’t, and ultimately didn’t. So I had to get them to not charge me for that. My point is, my situation was ridiculous. I think yours while frustrating, is also reasonably fair. Check if your dealer will make you a fair offer on your car or consign it for you.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:11 AM
oliver991
Rennlist Member

Porsche does what is best for Porsche which may or may not be what is best for the customer. They didn't jump in front of the 2014's until they had no other choice.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS Complete Engine Failure & PCNA Response