Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS Complete Engine Failure & PCNA Response

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 02:25 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Neil great info thanks for sharing this.

Ian
Old 03-13-2021, 10:19 PM
exit87
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
I only read the first couple posts. They replaced the engine with little fuss, gave you two additional years warranty, and gave you $3,500 cash for your trouble. Can only speak for myself, but I would be very pleased with this.
It makes no sense starting this thread after issue was resolved for him. Especially still owning the car. Understand creating a public forum complaint if he got stuck with having to pay for a new engine but just not at all the case. Probably more too this too. And he’s rich so $3500 doesn’t matter. F off. Nightmare customer.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:32 PM
exit87
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Oh snap! You can hear the price of .2GT3RS prices falling everywhere.
Ha! Well it doesn’t matter to the OP, 3500 is nothing to him (since he paid all cash). He’ll take that new engine and extended warranty, but couldn’t care less about the resale value of his car either. I’d only expect to be reading about this from a normal human if they didn’t fix the engine under warranty or if the same thing happened twice (to him).
Old 03-13-2021, 11:05 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
Would a 991.2 non RS GT3 suffer from this as well? My understanding is they are the same engines

Is there anything the driver can do to reduce the strain that causes this?
I’ll add to the inquiries as well. Not a whole lot of failure data out there for the 991.1 RS. How does the operation differ on the 2016 991.1 RS vs the standard 991.1 GT3 engine? Same hydraulic operation and lash cap setup? What are things to look out for in this engine? My current RS ownership plan has no end date in sight and I’m curious what I can do to extend the engine life.
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (03-14-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 11:49 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

Niel,

Have you got pictures of the piston tops? How much are the "blocks" twisting? I assume the intake or exhaust stroke wouldn't matter because the lash pad cannot eject if the cam lobe is pressed on it. It would seem the 'finger block" would have to twist quite a bit to let a lash pad out for a walkabout. The fingers look forged and the finger blocks look to be alloy. I'm certainly no expert in this matter but having worked with a master builder of BMW engines and manufacturers of valve train parts (Supertech), I've learn quite a bit about the components and assembly processes. And have seen the result of tearing down for refresh or failure examination of race engine builds.

On the block fracture near the journals. Are these pictures from random refresh engines or engines that have had a catastrophic bearing failure? So much heat is generated when a bearing is spun that the block can become unusable. Especially in cast aluminum blocks.

I am very intrigued and am anxious to learn more about these engines from you and my automotive engineering buddies. In the meantime I'll choose to hammer my 991.2 RS as often as I am blessed to do so.

Last edited by inverterman; 03-13-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:19 PM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 49 Posts

The ONLY way to be certain of zero failure in any engine is not to start it. Porsche engines are not alone in this. Many other OE's are having issues, maybe not the same issues.

The photo's I posted are from engines we have disassembled. I know more than anyone else to what other issues may be out there. All I can share are what we have seen in engines we disassemble. However, some of the issues we have seen would not appear to be random, but more typical. If we saw main bearing failure and more bearings in the same engine and no block fatigue, I would assume there could have been an oil starvation issue. But the same bearings in 2 engines and the blocks cracked give me cause to think this is more inherent. We did twist the block with the "girdle" and oil pump in place and it was alarming how much it moved. The "girdle" is doweled to some of the main caps but not all. The rear block "ear" where the crack occurs is not supported or braced back to the main block mass.

What causes the block to move I have no idea. Is it the transmission or the shifting, I don't know. We have a lot to learn but not a lot of examples to work with. The lash cap issue is more about the valve train now "solid" and the lash pad not "captured" in the retainer. This problem has been seen before in motorsport and corrected. It would be interesting to know if Porsche have corrected this in their race engines. There is no way they can run the same design and get away with it. If its happening in the street engines it would happen in the race engine. We have a "repair" for this, but like the 991.1 hydraulic finger issue, we are up against the warranty. We just have to wait until its our turn to "fix it". In the meantime we will proceed with the "hot rodding" and hopefully have some success with these engines.
inverterman (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 02:25 PM
jcannon
Banned

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

991.1 simply a better motor than 991.2 .
The following 2 users liked this post by jcannon:
911-140.6 (03-15-2021), hellboy_mcqueen (03-15-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 04:37 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I can understand your frustration, but imagine if Porsche had denied the warranty entirely if the car was used on track (as they're legally entitled to do)? Since the failure occurred on the road, you likely would have received coverage eventually (but could be an unpleasant process)...

Some other manufacturers might have handled this in a much more frustrating manner.
I assume you either don’t own one of these cars or didn’t read the manuals that came with it. It is specifically warranteed for track use. PCNA would be in an extremely interesting position if they tried to deny warranty based on track use for an un-modified car. Oliver has an excessive expectation of what PCNA will do - what he got was slightly beyond standard for engine failures in his geographical area - but his expectation of warranty coverage even for a (quite lightly) tracked car are spot on.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
I assume you either don’t own one of these cars or didn’t read the manuals that came with it. It is specifically warranteed for track use. PCNA would be in an extremely interesting position if they tried to deny warranty based on track use for an un-modified car. Oliver has an excessive expectation of what PCNA will do - what he got was slightly beyond standard for engine failures in his geographical area - but his expectation of warranty coverage even for a (quite lightly) tracked car are spot on.
You have assumed wrongly on both counts. I have a 991.2 GT3. The owners manual only offered explicit track warranty on the 2014 model year GT3 and not later years. All later years specifically state that track driving is not covered by warranty (but it is commonly covered anyway under dealer goodwill or looking the other way).

Last edited by GrantG; 03-14-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:28 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcannon
991.1 simply a better motor than 991.2 .
Does the 991.1 not suffer from any of these issues?
Old 03-15-2021, 12:02 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Oh snap! You can hear the price of .2GT3RS prices falling everywhere.
Wow!! Just reading this thread. Is this for real?
Old 03-15-2021, 12:14 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
The ONLY way to be certain of zero failure in any engine is not to start it. Porsche engines are not alone in this. Many other OE's are having issues, maybe not the same issues.

The photo's I posted are from engines we have disassembled. I know more than anyone else to what other issues may be out there. All I can share are what we have seen in engines we disassemble. However, some of the issues we have seen would not appear to be random, but more typical. If we saw main bearing failure and more bearings in the same engine and no block fatigue, I would assume there could have been an oil starvation issue. But the same bearings in 2 engines and the blocks cracked give me cause to think this is more inherent. We did twist the block with the "girdle" and oil pump in place and it was alarming how much it moved. The "girdle" is doweled to some of the main caps but not all. The rear block "ear" where the crack occurs is not supported or braced back to the main block mass.

What causes the block to move I have no idea. Is it the transmission or the shifting, I don't know. We have a lot to learn but not a lot of examples to work with. The lash cap issue is more about the valve train now "solid" and the lash pad not "captured" in the retainer. This problem has been seen before in motorsport and corrected. It would be interesting to know if Porsche have corrected this in their race engines. There is no way they can run the same design and get away with it. If its happening in the street engines it would happen in the race engine. We have a "repair" for this, but like the 991.1 hydraulic finger issue, we are up against the warranty. We just have to wait until its our turn to "fix it". In the meantime we will proceed with the "hot rodding" and hopefully have some success with these engines.
OK so now I have to ask...going to a solid valvetrain in the 991.2 engines was to improve reliability, not make it worse. Add to this you don't have to make adjustments for 300,000 km per AP. So I would ask for more specific data here to challenge the claim that this is a systemic issue with 991.2 engines failing. For example, how many in the field and what percentage of engines have failed? To me that's an important statistic vs. automatically turning this into a "991.2 engines are defective" rant.

Cancel culture now for engines, eh? The boys at Porsche saw fit to run this engine in competition where it was extremely reliable. Now we're hearing in this thread that the engines are defective? Could there be locally defective materials instead? I'm still not entirely buying this story. Guess I need more data.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:57 AM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Originally Posted by chance6
OK so now I have to ask...going to a solid valvetrain in the 991.2 engines was to improve reliability, not make it worse. Add to this you don't have to make adjustments for 300,000 km per AP. So I would ask for more specific data here to challenge the claim that this is a systemic issue with 991.2 engines failing. For example, how many in the field and what percentage of engines have failed? To me that's an important statistic vs. automatically turning this into a "991.2 engines are defective" rant.

Cancel culture now for engines, eh? The boys at Porsche saw fit to run this engine in competition where it was extremely reliable. Now we're hearing in this thread that the engines are defective? Could there be locally defective materials instead? I'm still not entirely buying this story. Guess I need more data.
Like I stated, all can do is to show what I have seen. But each engine had 100% the same failure. No rant here from me. Just photographic facts. Make of that as you wish. As for lash caps coming off, that should NEVER happen. Something is wrong if this happens.

I come from the Motorsports world and those engines ran a lot more RPM and never had lash cap issues. I come from the world where when something breaks or is wrong I fix it. In motorsport, you never left anything to chance. 1 failure was 1 failure too many.

My sarcastic mind thinks here, you are stuck on the side of the road late one rainy night and you turn to your passenger and say. statistically this should not have happened".
Old 03-15-2021, 11:04 AM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pcarlover
Does the 991.1 not suffer from any of these issues?
We have been inside both engines. Both have different issues. The 991.1 had the finger follower issue, the 991.2 has block and lash cap issues. To say one is better than the other, I cannot say this. Not enough time on either yet to make that determination. Both have what I would call a serious fault. As with most OE's today, faults are taken care of with warranty's. Its how they take care of them that becomes important. Unfortunately it seems to be replacement only and not a fixed solution.
oliver991 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 12:17 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
We have been inside both engines. Both have different issues. The 991.1 had the finger follower issue, the 991.2 has block and lash cap issues. To say one is better than the other, I cannot say this. Not enough time on either yet to make that determination. Both have what I would call a serious fault. As with most OE's today, faults are taken care of with warranty's. Its how they take care of them that becomes important. Unfortunately it seems to be replacement only and not a fixed solution.

Thanks Neil. I understand the finger follower issue as it related to the early 991.1 - specifically the standard GT3. They addressed this with the 10 year warranty and replaced some to the "G" series engine, correct? When the RS came out in 16, the issue was mostly "resolved" at this point (material was updated?) if I recall correctly from other discussions. The RS engine (991.1) is essentially a stroked G series motor, right?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS Complete Engine Failure & PCNA Response