Sponsored by:

Deer vs. GT3RS! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 11:55 AM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Deer vs. GT3RS! :(

Well folks, this is what happens when you drive ‘em. Wife and I went to dinner and took the route through the busiest part of the city to avoid any deer and smacked one after crossing the busiest road in the city (extremely busy and densely populated area).

No structural damage or airbag deployment (we were going pretty slow - 35-40mph?). At least we were okay and the season is over!

Luckily there was essentially zero damage under the bumper cover/fender. New headlight, bumper, and fender (small crack near the front) are on order. They’re also replacing the Homelink box because the little mounting ear cracked. Definitely lucky we’re walking away with purely cosmetic damage and no injuries (comprehensive/damage claim).

Porsche is saying we may see the car again sometime between next spring and summer due to the bumper cover and fender lead times. I have to wait 30 days after paint to wrap the parts (Xpel Stealth) and would like to drive the car again in the spring 😂.

Anyone have contacts to get shorter lead times on parts?

Popular Reply

11-29-2020, 05:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Glad you are both OK.

From my friend, Bobby Flay:

Venision & Black Bean Chili with Toasted Cumin Creme Fraiche and White Cheddar Cornbrerad

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil

2 pounds venison shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 large red onion, finely diced

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

3 tablespoons ancho chile powder

1 tablespoon pasilla chile powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 bottle dark beer

5 cups homemade chicken stock, or low sodium canned or water

1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained and pureed

1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree

1 tablespoon honey

2 cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Toasted Cumin Crema, recipe follows

White Cheddar Cornbread, recipe follows
Toasted Cumin Crema:
1 tablespoon cumin seed

1 cup creme fraiche or Mexican crema

White Cheddar Corn Bread:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

2 cups coarsely ground white cornmeal

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons baking powder

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon salt

2 2/3 cups buttermilk

3/4 cup finely grated white cheddar

1 tablespoon honey

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the venison with salt and pepper, and saute until browned on all sides. Remove the meat to a plate and remove all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
  • Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ancho powder, pasilla powder, and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the beer and cook until completely reduced. Return the venison to the pot, add the chicken stock, tomatoes, chipotle puree, and honey, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice, and adjust seasonings.
  • Serve with a dollop of Toasted Cumin Crema and a square White Cheddar Corn Bread.

Toasted Cumin Crema:

1. Place the cumin in a small saute pan over medium heat. Toast until lightly golden brown. Place in a small bowl. Stir in the crema and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in a squeeze bottle.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a food processor, combine the butter, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, eggs, and salt. Process 20 to 30 seconds, until just mixed, fold in the cheese. You may have to do this in 2 batches. Pour in the buttermilk, cheese, and honey, and process for 20 seconds more. Pour into a buttered 12 by 12-inch pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden. Cut into squares.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Tito_gsx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is significant impact, glad you and wife is ok. On the plus side, at least there is time to fix before spring.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:49 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow, glad you're ok. Seems like the deer is relatively ok too. Looks like you clipped of the deer's eyebrow
Old 11-29-2020, 01:02 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

wow, scary and so sorry

that really sucks about the leadtime....wth?
Old 11-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 142 Posts

Sorry to hear it.

i had a bumper replaced on a .2 GT3 recently (august).

took 2 weeks for parts from Germany.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Glad you are both OK.

From my friend, Bobby Flay:

Venision & Black Bean Chili with Toasted Cumin Creme Fraiche and White Cheddar Cornbrerad

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil

2 pounds venison shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1 large red onion, finely diced

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

3 tablespoons ancho chile powder

1 tablespoon pasilla chile powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 bottle dark beer

5 cups homemade chicken stock, or low sodium canned or water

1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained and pureed

1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree

1 tablespoon honey

2 cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Toasted Cumin Crema, recipe follows

White Cheddar Cornbread, recipe follows
Toasted Cumin Crema:
1 tablespoon cumin seed

1 cup creme fraiche or Mexican crema

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

2 cups coarsely ground white cornmeal

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons baking powder

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon salt

2 2/3 cups buttermilk

3/4 cup finely grated white cheddar

1 tablespoon honey

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the venison with salt and pepper, and saute until browned on all sides. Remove the meat to a plate and remove all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
  • Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ancho powder, pasilla powder, and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the beer and cook until completely reduced. Return the venison to the pot, add the chicken stock, tomatoes, chipotle puree, and honey, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice, and adjust seasonings.
  • Serve with a dollop of Toasted Cumin Crema and a square White Cheddar Corn Bread.

Toasted Cumin Crema:

1. Place the cumin in a small saute pan over medium heat. Toast until lightly golden brown. Place in a small bowl. Stir in the crema and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in a squeeze bottle.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a food processor, combine the butter, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, eggs, and salt. Process 20 to 30 seconds, until just mixed, fold in the cheese. You may have to do this in 2 batches. Pour in the buttermilk, cheese, and honey, and process for 20 seconds more. Pour into a buttered 12 by 12-inch pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden. Cut into squares.
The following 14 users liked this post by LexVan:
96redLT4 (12-04-2020), AlexCeres (12-03-2020), Apex Ace (11-29-2020), ByeEnzo (02-12-2021), DSC48 (02-08-2021), Feld (11-30-2020), fjpdds (02-11-2021), Freier (12-01-2020), Nacelle (11-29-2020), Ohio Performance (12-05-2020), Quikag (11-30-2020), robmypro (12-06-2020), StealthGT3 (11-29-2020), X2Board (11-30-2020) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-29-2020, 09:26 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry...crazy time of year for sure. Will the new pieces come painted or will a local shop need to paint them up?

Need a line on a PPF shop this spring as well.

Cheers, Mike
Old 11-29-2020, 11:12 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Glad you all and the car are OK...

Man, that is a crazy wait time for parts!
Old 11-30-2020, 01:58 AM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I’m so sorry this happened! Glad to hear that you and your wife are ok. Although it will take some time, the car will be fixed and you can use the wait time to plan out some nice drive and/or road trip options
Old 11-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Ugh. I hate deer and lack of natural predators and decline in hunting means their numbers are running rampant.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nizer:
BruceT (11-30-2020), usrodeo4 (02-07-2021), X2Board (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 03:16 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 451 Posts

Where in MI are you located? I know a Porsche authorized facility that could possibly reduce the down-time.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:29 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad you and your wife are ok. Awesome you are taking this like a champ!
Old 11-30-2020, 05:36 PM
jkob5
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you and your wife are ok, the rest can be replaced. As the owner of a white RS, can you please post more pictures of your whole car with xpel stealth. My goodness.....
Old 11-30-2020, 06:52 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I feel blessed to be among such a great group of people 🤙

Originally Posted by mike.baa
wow, glad you're ok. Seems like the deer is relatively ok too. Looks like you clipped of the deer's eyebrow
Pretty sure it died in some guys front yard 😬.

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
wow, scary and so sorry

that really sucks about the leadtime....wth?
No kidding! Hoping we can find parts sooner.

Originally Posted by mipcar
Sorry...crazy time of year for sure. Will the new pieces come painted or will a local shop need to paint them up?

Need a line on a PPF shop this spring as well.

Cheers, Mike
Thanks Mike, the parts will be painted at the Porsche repair facility. There’s a company near me that’s an Xpel authorized installer. I’m going to see if they will do it with the parts off the car.

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Where in MI are you located? I know a Porsche authorized facility that could possibly reduce the down-time.
I’m in Grand Rapids. I’m all ears if you have a contact! It’s currently at a Porsche authorized facility and they aren’t having much luck.

Originally Posted by Thinker23
Glad you and your wife are ok. Awesome you are taking this like a champ!
Thanks! It’s hard to stay positive about something like this, but my wife and friends help keep it in perspective. I am fortunate enough to own such a wonderful piece of art and nobody makes it out alive. Might as well enjoy the hell out of them while we can!

Originally Posted by jkob5
Glad you and your wife are ok, the rest can be replaced. As the owner of a white RS, can you please post more pictures of your whole car with xpel stealth. My goodness.....
Exactly, the most important part is our safety. It could have just as easily come through the windshield and killed us if the circumstances were a little different. No structural damage or anything significant so the car will be like new when they’re done. Here’s some more pics for you - My Instagram has a lot more: 991.1_gt3rs

The following 4 users liked this post by Pcarlover:
Captain_ (02-07-2021), DSC48 (02-08-2021), Marv (12-01-2020), XLR82XS (12-02-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 06:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Pcarlover
There’s a company near me that’s an Xpel authorized installer. I’m going to see if they will do it with the parts off the car.
Great pictures.

It's pretty hard to wrap panels off the car. Your installer needs the rigidity to pull and wrap the film, especially the bumper cover. It's hard to get that rigidity when the parts are off the car. GL on the repair & process.

Quick Reply: Deer vs. GT3RS! :(