Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS to 992 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 04:11 PM
sims
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 991.2 GT3 RS to 992 Turbo?

Love the GT3RS for track days (4-7 events/year), however it s not very useful for DD.
Since 992 Turbo seems to be a credible track car, I was wondering how much compromise, I d had to take.
On the upside, enjoy DD every day in the year.

Would appreciate any thoughts - thank you.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:28 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

For starters, some DD a RS and you couldn’t pay me too not fun at low speeds. Looks like you’re in a snow location and Turbo S AW drive and very comfortable and fun at all speeds. RS great on the track not much to debate there, and runs on mountain back roads if you have access to them. Great 2nd or 3rd car pending usage ......personally I DD a SUV for comfort and ease of getting out/odd trips to a hardware store just for stuff unplanned. My sports cars are typically weekend hobbies with friends vs DD’s. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
chance6 (11-30-2020), KA 991 GT3 (11-29-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 05:11 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts

I DD my 991.2 GT3 RS but prior to it I had a 992 C2S that was an awesome car. The 992 TTS will likely be magical to drive. I just wanted a 3RS.
The following 2 users liked this post by JesseRohr:
CarmineGT3 (11-27-2020), catdog2 (11-27-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 05:15 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
I DD my 991.2 GT3 RS but prior to it I had a 992 C2S that was an awesome car. The 992 TTS will likely be magical to drive. I just wanted a 3RS.
From what I’ve read, a 992 TTS with an alignment and the same tires as a 991.2 GT3 RS is going to be a drivers race on the track. The TTS is a missile that actually isn’t numb to fling around, again from what I’ve read. Then, around town and everyday, the TTS is probably superior overall.

I’d do it if you’re getting the itch for something different. I’ve toyed with the idea of trading my non-RS .2 GT3 in for one.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:38 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

This will be my next move also. Currently do 12-20 track days a year and would certainly like to enjoy a Porsche for running errands occasionally. I’ve considered a .2 Turbo S and would definitely go with a 992 Turbo S. Both would be more multi purpose and likely faster lap times.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:39 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sims
Love the GT3RS for track days (4-7 events/year), however it s not very useful for DD.
Since 992 Turbo seems to be a credible track car, I was wondering how much compromise, I d had to take.
On the upside, enjoy DD every day in the year.

Would appreciate any thoughts - thank you.
I wont recommend it. Keep the RS and get a Turbo S if possible.

They are 2 different cars.

Rules to follow:

There is no perfect car, there is only a perfect car for a specific occasion.
The following 8 users liked this post by thxbuff2001:
AlexCeres (11-28-2020), CarmineGT3 (11-27-2020), catdog2 (11-27-2020), KA 991 GT3 (11-29-2020), LVMCars (12-01-2020), sims (11-28-2020), stephen k (12-02-2020), SterlingatBOM (11-29-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-27-2020, 03:06 AM
sims
Advanced

Thank you for the inputs -- it s going to be a compromise on track...tough how much.
To top the sweetener, my better half suggests the open top version I guess the chassis is stable enough?
Old 11-27-2020, 04:07 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts

You know when you post this question in this subforum, you will get GT bias answers.

Actually, I would like to ask you instead, how do you feel driving an AWD 911?

Why I ask is because a RR 911 responds completely different to a AWD 911. The RR for me feels nimble, responsive vs AWD that felt less responsive and less communicative.

I'm choosing not to use words like dull, poor feedback because no 911 regardless of RR or AWD are associated with those terms.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:28 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sims
Thank you for the inputs -- it s going to be a compromise on track...tough how much.
To top the sweetener, my better half suggests the open top version I guess the chassis is stable enough?
There is no right or wrong answer to your situation. Compromise a little and you can get the best of both worlds. Thats why a turbo S is there.

The following users liked this post:
mr965 (11-27-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 03:12 AM
sims
Advanced

I had the chance to drive TTS - it feels amazing on road.
For track use, check out this video
Apparently balance of the car closer to GT ... and looks like it
The following 3 users liked this post by sims:
AlexCeres (11-28-2020), RockyTopTenn (11-29-2020), SterlingatBOM (11-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:28 AM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

The additional weight behind the rear wheels will make the car less enjoyable on track.

How much emphasis do you place on sound?
Old 11-28-2020, 10:05 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

personally I DD a SUV for comfort and ease of getting out/odd trips to a hardware store just for stuff unplanned.
This 100% for me personally at this point. Absolutely when snow hits the ground but most other days as well.

I daily drove sports cars and Porsche’s with snow tires for many years.

Some personal observations to share.

1) The best car in the world driven daily becomes normal. I know it sounds odd, but it is easy to lose appreciation.

2) It almost has to be a lease to make sense. Or you have to not care at all about the mileage and depreciation. The world is flooded with 5k mile P cars for sale. Not 50k mile ones.

3) On terrible days, taking a snow brush and scraper to your prized possession is cringe worthy. Which leads me to number 4.

4) Get used to keeping your Pcar in a less than perfect condition. Salt, gravel, Snow brushes, etc do a number on paint and aluminum. Presentable, clean, shiny. That is the best you can hope for all winter. I once had a chunk of ice in the road rip the front spoiler off my mustang and kill the ac condenser. “Plowed” and “plowed low enough for sports car” are different. I used to pull into after work cruise gatherings. Car covered in brake dust and bugs. Etc. Going to those events on a Sunday, if I wanted the car clean, required 2 hours of detailing the day before.

5) Snow boots, puffy coat, gloves. None of these things work in a tight cabin with small foot wells great.

6) Freedom! I used to literally stress when a I had to visit a new client, restaurant, etc over parking, driveway aprons, etc. And in those circumstances you can’t exactly just say hell with it I am going home. Once driving into an office complex there was a long road with 5 or 6 giant speed bumps. I dragged my splitter over each and every damn one at the cost of a few hundred dollars to replace it. What was I going to do? Call the new client and say “Sorry I can’t make the meeting, my Porsche scrapes on your speed bumps?”. Of course not.

7) The good part. Coming out of work and having your stress relief medicine waiting in the parking lot. The daily engaging of folks in the car was fun and I do miss driving something a bit more special daily. I have a BMW M suv that gets daily billing. It’s a compromise but still a blast.

8) I drive my Porsche’s a whole lot less that I should now. I drive 20-25k miles a year for work. This makes “pleasure driving” time limited to weekends, C&C events, dinner, etc.

BUT!! Life is short. Certainly no harm in giving it a run for a few years and seeing what your personal experiences are.
The following 7 users liked this post by ClassJ:
catdog2 (11-30-2020), egg666 (12-09-2020), KA 991 GT3 (11-29-2020), Overdraft (12-01-2020), Quikag (11-28-2020), rhk118 (12-08-2020), RockyTopTenn (11-29-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-28-2020, 10:52 AM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
This 100% for me personally at this point. Absolutely when snow hits the ground but most other days as well.

1) The best car in the world driven daily becomes normal. I know it sounds odd, but it is easy to lose appreciation.

2) It almost has to be a lease to make sense. Or you have to not care at all about the mileage and depreciation. The world is flooded with 5k mile P cars for sale. Not 50k mile ones.

3) On terrible days, taking a snow brush and scraper to your prized possession is cringe worthy. Which leads me to number 4.

4) Get used to keeping your Pcar in a less than perfect condition. Salt, gravel, Snow brushes, etc do a number on paint and aluminum. Presentable, clean, shiny. That is the best you can hope for all winter. I once had a chunk of ice in the road rip the front spoiler off my mustang and kill the ac condenser. “Plowed” and “plowed low enough for sports car” are different. I used to pull into after work cruise gatherings. Car covered in brake dust and bugs. Etc. Going to those events on a Sunday, if I wanted the car clean, required 2 hours of detailing the day before.

5) Snow boots, puffy coat, gloves. None of these things work in a tight cabin with small foot wells great.

6) Freedom! I used to literally stress when a I had to visit a new client, restaurant, etc over parking, driveway aprons, etc. And in those circumstances you can’t exactly just say hell with it I am going home. Once driving into an office complex there was a long road with 5 or 6 giant speed bumps. I dragged my splitter over each and every damn one at the cost of a few hundred dollars to replace it. What was I going to do? Call the new client and say “Sorry I can’t make the meeting, my Porsche scrapes on your speed bumps?”. Of course not.

7) The good part. Coming out of work and having your stress relief medicine waiting in the parking lot. The daily engaging of folks in the car was fun and I do miss driving something a bit more special daily. I have a BMW M suv that gets daily billing. It’s a compromise but still a blast.

8) I drive my Porsche’s a whole lot less that I should now. I drive 20-25k miles a year for work. This makes “pleasure driving” time limited to weekends, C&C events, dinner, etc.

BUT!! Life is short. Certainly no harm in giving it a run for a few years and seeing what your personal experiences are.
While I agree with all of your statements to some degree, not all of us live in the frozen North East or have to commute very far. So point number 7 makes a larger influence on the decision.
The following users liked this post:
AnthonyGan (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 05:24 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

If you adore wildness, stiff suspension and exhaust sound of GT3RS, all of which gives a feeling of a race car and at the same time know how to drive it relatively fast then you will be disappointed with the Turbo S as this is completely different animal (significantly more comfortable, no proper engine sound, etc).

I was not happy with my Turbo S and jumped to GT3 manual. As a result, I adore GT3 as I could not be happier now.
The following 2 users liked this post by kart driver:
LVMCars (12-01-2020), Overdraft (12-01-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:23 PM
pfl
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I daily an RS, every day, not just 2 days a week, and I drive it about 2K miles per month. Extremely accurate... especially #1, #4, and #7!!! SPOT ON!

Originally Posted by ClassJ

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS to 992 Turbo?