Stain on Interior Trim - Suggestions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 10:39 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 911 Posts
Question Stain on Interior Trim - Suggestions Please

Hello forum,

I have this stain/mark on the trim around the PDK gear lever that will not come off no matter what. I tried using a quick detailer (the cheap stuff from walmart), it's almost like the stain etched into the plastic. No idea what it is, it was there when I got the car with 500 miles. Please see pictures. I appreciate your help.

On another note, is that trim piece hard to replace?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2020, 02:15 PM
spinelli911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If its scuffed into the plastic, you're probably not going to get it out. I would imagine if it is physically scuffed then some trim detailer might get into the abrasions and help the look. Outside of that, if its really bothersome, could replace. Its a car, every day you get into it you put wear on the seats and gear. Just simple aging. I would let this one slide.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:36 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spinelli911
If its scuffed into the plastic, you're probably not going to get it out. I would imagine if it is physically scuffed then some trim detailer might get into the abrasions and help the look. Outside of that, if its really bothersome, could replace. Its a car, every day you get into it you put wear on the seats and gear. Just simple aging. I would let this one slide.
There is nothing physical as far as the properties of the plastic. Whatever this is it is some sort of chemical or some other food stain that stuck there long enough that it is not getting out. I might need to use something strong but I dont know what should be. As I said all I used so far is what I had at home (Meguiar's quick detailer). I didnt want to use isopropyl alcohol without asking first here (Or any other products that I should try that you guys might recommend).
Old 08-30-2020, 02:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,102 Posts

You're going to have to replace that. I can try and find the part number in green, but the other one I found that is not in green is around $150.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:02 PM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

1. Order replacement trim online
2. Go for drives and collect smiles waiting for part to arrive
3. Grab your favorite beverage while replacing the trim
Old 08-30-2020, 03:07 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Should I not try alcohol or any other product before giving up?

I have removed interior trim pieces before on other cars many times (usually for shifter installation), but not on a Porsche. Are the panels delicate (clips break easily) or is it a simple job? Don't want to make things worse.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:14 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure I would be brave enough to try alcohol on it, but maybe a clay bar with some glass cleaner to lube it? Not sure if that would work and it’s an unorthodox use for a clay bar, but you asked for suggestions!
Old 08-30-2020, 04:57 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts

if that is not a scuff it looks grease/oil based. Just try some soapy water (dish detergent) on a moist paper towel or microfiber (not soaking so water doesn't drip through everything), then rinse by wiping with a mild water dampened cloth and see what happens. If that doesn't get it out then its something with the plastic - at that point either replace it or dare I say it (OCD is cringing) use a tiny bit of armor all on that entire piece to make it all blend in together...
Old 08-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,102 Posts

If a normal cleaner is not working on it, then I think it is an issue with the surface itself. Maybe you used some hand sanitizer.

I would personally leave it but I do think it will require replacement.

Panels on these cars are better than others. You shouldn't have an issue breaking clips.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:15 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
If a normal cleaner is not working on it, then I think it is an issue with the surface itself. Maybe you used some hand sanitizer.

I would personally leave it but I do think it will require replacement.

Panels on these cars are better than others. You shouldn't have an issue breaking clips.
This was here when I took possession of the car, so it wasn't me. Trust me, I know better than using hand sanitizer
Old 08-30-2020, 05:28 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rhk118
if that is not a scuff it looks grease/oil based. Just try some soapy water (dish detergent) on a moist paper towel or microfiber (not soaking so water doesn't drip through everything), then rinse by wiping with a mild water dampened cloth and see what happens. If that doesn't get it out then its something with the plastic - at that point either replace it or dare I say it (OCD is cringing) use a tiny bit of armor all on that entire piece to make it all blend in together...
How do I thank you? The soap solution has taken off about 90% of it. There is still some left, but much better. I used that Meyer's natural/organic dish soap (only thing we had). Maybe if I used one of those cheaper but more aggressive dish soaps (the blue stuff in CVS), it will take the rest off. But at least now I know its not some scuff mark on plastic but merely a chemical/stain on it. I love the forum help, thanks guys.
The following users liked this post:
rhk118 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 07:05 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
How do I thank you? The soap solution has taken off about 90% of it. There is still some left, but much better. I used that Meyer's natural/organic dish soap (only thing we had). Maybe if I used one of those cheaper but more aggressive dish soaps (the blue stuff in CVS), it will take the rest off. But at least now I know its not some scuff mark on plastic but merely a chemical/stain on it. I love the forum help, thanks guys.
Glad that worked! I've gotten so much help on here already feels good to be able to contribute back! Used to install a lot of car stereos so have dealt with my fair share of interior plastic "problems" lets just say. Dawn dish soap will work wonders compared to the Meyers and likely get the rest of it off. If it doesn't then use like a drop of armor all mixed in about 1/2 tsp of water on a cloth and wipe down the entire piece paying a bit more time on the problem area. That will just clean it up and blend it in as well as darken all the surrounding areas. Other thing that would work is leather conditioner (not cleaner) for the same purpose as the armor all with less sheen, but again dilute that with water as well if you mind the totally shiny look.

Last edited by rhk118; 08-30-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:10 PM
Miamistv
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Regardless, it is an inexpensive part to fix and it would annoy me too. Luckily, most interior pieces can be ordered and are reasonably priced. Congrats that you found a solution. (Pun)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:44 PM
nycpassat
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser damp with water
Old 08-30-2020, 09:46 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nycpassat
Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser damp with water
I thought about this but I was afraid that might be too aggressive and hurt the finish.

Quick Reply: Stain on Interior Trim - Suggestions Please