Sponsored by:

Well, I broke her! 2016gt3rs Valve spring failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020 | 02:39 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eyecon
That is a common problem on the 991.1 Gt3rs ,
I had a failure on the track under warranty it was fixed but they would not extend to 10 year warranty like the GT3.
I wonder if PAG replaced more durable valve spring for your warranty work?
May I ask ? Did PAG tell you what was possible causes for valve spring failure and how to avoid it in the future? Thx!
Old 08-14-2020 | 04:49 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Nope. Think you are mixing something. Broken valve springs are not "common".
Old 08-14-2020 | 04:47 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
you have warranty on your engine until 2025

you get 9-10 years in Canada as well?
OT but I too wonder how long the extended warranty goes in Canada.
Old 08-14-2020 | 06:35 PM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
you get 9-10 years in Canada as well?
You can extend up to 10 years from original in service date
Old 08-15-2020 | 02:21 PM
UGADawgFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lazrgato
Not to go all off topic, but what's the plan when our gt3 .1 engines are out of warranty? If there is a failure, is there a fix? 40k repair bill kills my " I want to keep this car forever" vibe. I have 22k miles 2015 original engine.
I too wonder this as I can't afford a $30-$40K repair bill out of warranty. This makes me lean towards enjoying my 2014 (currently has 13k miles) for another year, then selling it so the next owner has 2 more years left on the warranty. Wouldn't be a bad time to pick up a 718 Boxster Spyder and not have the little fear in the back of my head.
Old 08-15-2020 | 05:20 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lazrgato
Not to go all off topic, but what's the plan when our gt3 .1 engines are out of warranty? If there is a failure, is there a fix? 40k repair bill kills my " I want to keep this car forever" vibe. I have 22k miles 2015 original engine.
Dundon nearly had a fix released to market and then the warranty was announced, so it was temporarily shelved. Would be awesome to refresh a 10yr motor and get some added displacement in the process.

There are way too many these cars in existence, the market will drive a solution one way or another. Try not to worry about it.

Absolute worst case scenario is paying full price and having a fresh heart (a corrected heart) in a 10+ year old car. I’m not completely opposed to that. Wouldn’t be shocked if PAG goodwills a portion if you’re impacted by the FF issue.
The following users liked this post:
gman3280 (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020 | 01:27 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thanks for the confirmation. Porsche was 100% correct about the 991.1 RS engine. No FF issues.
Not true. The have had same failure mode but they like to keep that quiet:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post16126246

Originally Posted by Fatbro
not really any legal footing here. But I do think they should stand behind their product. Just like anyone else out there. Local dealership isn't having any part of it. I will put together an email to Porsche and see what happens. I don't expect anything and moving forward with the rebuild.
Have you reading the "Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission" thread?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html

Old 08-16-2020 | 11:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There have been several RS failures, due to "FF issues".

The customers got their issues "resolved" and signed non-disclosures. Not exactly sure what "resolved" means, though.
Old 08-19-2020 | 10:05 AM
Fatbro
Instructor

Default Update

We ended up pulling both heads. Just to check all the valves. Here's the update.

We are doing a complete Valve job, new springs,( old springs are weak ) seals and keepers. Head gaskets, all seals, spark plugs, exhaust gaskets ,carbon cleaning of intake , heads and pistons.

Valve springs are all over the place in coil bind pressures. New one was 20 psi more at coil bind than the old ones
The low seat pressures will cause the valves to bounce at high rpms. Not good and will break valves
The springs are timed out.

there is still NO signs of why this would have happened. So we are scratching our heads.

porsche USA responded to my email and only said take it to the local dealer. I'm not going to post the full response here until
after I talk to them. But they are not taking responsibility. Which is understandable being out of warranty.
Old 08-19-2020 | 10:27 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

We ended up pulling both heads. Just to check all the valves. Here's the update.

We are doing a complete Valve job, new springs,( old springs are weak ) seals and keepers. Head gaskets, all seals, spark plugs, exhaust gaskets ,carbon cleaning of intake , heads and pistons.

Valve springs are all over the place in coil bind pressures. New one was 20 psi more at coil bind than the old ones
The low seat pressures will cause the valves to bounce at high rpms. Not good and will break valves

there is still NO signs of why this would have happened. So we are scratching our heads.

porsche USA responded to my email and only said take it to the local dealer. I'm not going to post the full response here until
after I talk to them. But they are not taking responsibility. Which is understandable being out of warranty.
Why u are at it are you going to split the case and replace rod bearings

Would be interesting to see the condition
Old 08-19-2020 | 11:12 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Crazy, sorry you are having to deal with this, especially not having more answers. Will be interested to hear more.
Do you have the spec re pressure at the seat? I can't imagine its super high given the cam profile light valves and desire to save the rocker would guess maybe 100#? usually when I find broken springs its a bad batch or some weird harmonic/resonance from a changed profile or other hard parts.
Old 08-19-2020 | 11:32 AM
997gr8
Instructor

Originally Posted by bulldog_YYC
You can extend up to 10 years from original in service date
my Can dealer assured me I could only extend for 2 years (year 5 and year 6).

How do you get to 10 years?
Old 08-19-2020 | 11:39 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

I always wondered if part of the issue with the 2014 engine was too high of a spring constant which could put too much force on the finger follower and cam. Porsche seemed to blame it on metal inclusions which would be a supplier issue not an engine design problem. Of course too weak of a spring would be bad at 9000rpm so they are trying to balance valve float against forces on the cam. I was curious if they reduced the spring constant for the 2016/RS engines. I would like to see the 2014 valve springs compared to the 2016's however all the 2014's are gone. It's interesting that you say the new springs have more resistance than your existing ones though.

Porsche may have put in some goodwill towards the engine repair at a dealership where they can see the engine and parts (perhaps send parts back to Germany for analysis) but I don't see that happening with an independent repair shop.
Old 08-19-2020 | 11:51 AM
Fatbro
Instructor

Waiting on springs. 30 sets on the planet and i bought 23. being expedited from the Middle East warehouse!

I asked about spitting the case. This is his answer.

Not necessary. Very light tap on the piston. I measured the deck height, and all is perfect. Piston clearance is dead on.

Old 08-19-2020 | 01:04 PM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997gr8
my Can dealer assured me I could only extend for 2 years (year 5 and year 6).

How do you get to 10 years?
Local dealer in Calgary

Quick Reply: Well, I broke her! 2016gt3rs Valve spring failure