Sponsored by:

Any experience with Chicago Motor Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 12:08 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze
This is interesting considering I got a GT3 down almost $15K from a Porsche dealer just recently. Coincidentally, one in Colorado.
He is not budging on the price. Not even a dollar. I am working with Travis there.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 PM
shootamc58
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

They jacked me around several years ago. No idea how they are still around. Very shady and glad i didn't purchase from them.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

3-Pedal, is there a way to route the sale through a local Porsche dealership, and get the car CPO'd?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:43 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

I could probably make a run over there to check out the car but would need to know your time frame and what you specifically are looking for.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:51 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's my take on Chicago Motor Cars. I've been there and know folks that have purchased from them. They started as a highline dealership that works on volume and more recently the owner is getting into Semi tractor trailers, higher margins. They don't curate vehicles. They buy and sell anything. The sales folks are sales folks. They are not there to build a long term relationship. The cars are hit or miss. They are in business because of pricing and typically the cars are fine. They sell more used cars per month than your brand specific dealership They don't have all the fluff and feel good stuff like CarMax and that's how they keep prices low. It's a different business model but every region has these types of dealerships.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
27W110 North Ave, West Chicago IL 60185

If you can do this, I will be forever grateful to you. I will frame a piece of paper on my garage thanking you
I will go tomorrow.

I am assuming it is the LG RS

Please give me the name and number of your contact there and let them know that a Friend of yours' will stop by tomorrow afternoon to check it out.

People on Rennlist have helped and checked out cars for me before and this is what is great about this forum.

Also - PM me your cell phone number and I will call you when i am there. My area code will be a (201) which is NJ but I reside here in the Suburbs of Chicago
The following 6 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
Garydose (05-21-2020), Jason Zhang (05-19-2020), mwar99 (05-19-2020), paradocs98 (05-23-2020), pdxjim (05-19-2020), rodsky (05-21-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-19-2020, 01:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Class move Jimmy-D!!!

3-Pedal, you are in good hands with Jimmy. I am also sending you a PM with contact info of a dealership that can assist you, too.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:48 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fang911
If you’re buying a used jetta or accord, then a couple of owners or auctioned vehicle may be par for the course. But you’re about to drop $200K- a few thousand $ more for lower mileage, one owner, no auction CPO from a reputable Porsche dealership makes a lot more sense IMHO. One would have to save *alot* of coin ie > $20K to potentially justify buying this example from Chicago Motor Cars-
What is wrong with an auctioned car? I am not trying to be sarcastic, it's a serious question.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:08 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

What is wrong with an auctioned car? I am not trying to be sarcastic, it's a serious question.
Absolutely if the car checks out.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:11 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

It is not uncommon for cars to go to auction, it is where some dealers and many independents source their cars. One of the items that creates additional risk, and anxiety for some, is the fact the car is being moved around. There are people moving the vehicle around, transporting, etc. that might not provide the level of care you would, vs. if it were to simply stay in place at one dealer until sold. Again, it is not an uncommon thing for cars to move to auction and in some situations there is nothing that can be done about it when you're looking for a specific car. In this case, you have many options to look for the same car, so some are asking why not buy from a Porsche dealer offering a car that hasn't been through the auction process. If the car checks out to your standard then it doesn't really matter. At the auction they likely sourced it for less than what a Porsche dealer may have taken similar units on trade, thus enabling them more negotiation room. They are willing to negotiate the shipping and a fair trade so I see why it is compelling to consider the deal. Given the feedback, it is critical you understand if the car meets every expectation.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:22 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 334 Posts

He is not budging on the price. Not even a dollar. I am working with Travis there.
They don't negotiate much here in OC as well and like to sit on inventory. It's a big country though and some dealers like to actually sell cars and not just wash them for the 405 traffic to view. It's changed to a buyers market. Name your price, leave your phone number and walk. Bills are due at the end of the month. If they want to sell cars, they will call you back and try to figure out a way to make a deal. Be patient as used inventory is high and unemployment numbers have reached numbers not seen since the 1920's...Disposable income isn't flooding the market as it was 4 months ago and won't correct itself over night. Some areas of the country will be effected a lot more than others. Sales on luxury items will suffer. If you don't find a dealer ready to sell, help an original owner out of a car that has spread him or her too thin. Eventually people will have to pay or catch up rent/ mortgages again of face eviction. This may persuade them to sell one of their extra cars. I don't wish this for anyone, but if it results in a Pareto Optimal move, cheers.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:44 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 210 Posts

Auction per-se isnt automatically a bad thing...it just seems weird that on a well equipped hi-demand car (precovid 12/19) in an affluent neighborhood (porsche west broward)- that Porsche West Broward tries to sell as a CPO but then sends it to auction. Again doesnt necessarily mean something is wrong but does raise the question (for me at least)-
The following 2 users liked this post by Fang911:
paddlefoot64 (05-19-2020), paradocs98 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 05:26 PM
fsts2k
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

You seem to be looking for validation that CMC is a good dealership, then when people offer evidence of the contrary you don't like it. I got jacked around by them and I won't buy from them. I didn't lose any money but I lost time. You can declare that is not concrete evidence but buying something like this requires a level of confidence in the seller; CMC didn't provide that in my experience.

All that said, the best thing about this is that is it your money so it doesn't matter to me. Hope you enjoy the car if you get one.

Just consider that next time you ask for input on people's perspectives you don't shut them down when they give you what you asked for.
The following 4 users liked this post by fsts2k:
copmagnet (05-19-2020), mjj (05-19-2020), Perimeter (05-19-2020), Redlinerobert (05-21-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 05:47 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsts2k
You seem to be looking for validation that CMC is a good dealership, then when people offer evidence of the contrary you don't like it. I got jacked around by them and I won't buy from them. I didn't lose any money but I lost time. You can declare that is not concrete evidence but buying something like this requires a level of confidence in the seller; CMC didn't provide that in my experience.

All that said, the best thing about this is that is it your money so it doesn't matter to me. Hope you enjoy the car if you get one.

Just consider that next time you ask for input on people's perspectives you don't shut them down when they give you what you asked for.
I am not shutting anyone down. I am sorry if I gave you that impression. I, as a person, do not like abstract statements that are too high up in the air. I like to stick to the facts and detail. So far all feedback given (with the exception of one person who gave great detail about his experience about the keyfob not working etc) have been very abstract. Everyone has been badmouthing them for buying cars from auction but when I ask what might be wrong, there is no good answer. One answer was people get in/out of the car many times between auctions. Thats true but that might be true for a brand new car that got stuck at the port and required software update as well. You cannot make these generalizations. Other feedback included saying things like "they are called Chicago Motor Car for a reason" or "look at this lawsuit from 2013" (which is the only documented negative thing about them). Their google and other website ratings are 90-99% 5 stars. I read every single one of them, they appear legitimate. I have not seen a single negative review on high end expensive cars. All negative reviews have been about older cars with miles. Maybe they treat each car/customer differently?

You are saying you have been "jacked around". What does that mean? Does that mean you called them and they ignored you? Or you sent the money and car never showed? You see my point? This could be several different things going wrong, completely benign to very serious.

There is a $15,000 net delta between this guy and next best guy. That $15,000 delta isnt just the sale price. but it is also the trade to my car and the transport and other document fees. Porsche people are very hard to deal with. You email them and they come back with their asking price as their price. They do not go down even $1000. You e-mail mclaren people or other exotic dealers and they are ready to negotiate (but not as much as this guy).
Old 05-19-2020, 06:28 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I will go tomorrow.

I am assuming it is the LG RS

Please give me the name and number of your contact there and let them know that a Friend of yours' will stop by tomorrow afternoon to check it out.

People on Rennlist have helped and checked out cars for me before and this is what is great about this forum.

Also - PM me your cell phone number and I will call you when i am there. My area code will be a (201) which is NJ but I reside here in the Suburbs of Chicago

Hi Jimmy,

I will PM you all the details. I truly appreciate this.

Quick Reply: Any experience with Chicago Motor Cars?