.2 RS Wing end plates FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 02:43 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default .2 RS Wing end plates FAIL

Hello-
it seems the one thing that could go wrong with a simply wing end plate swap, did! The first bolt I attempted...it was tight...real tight...then it wasn’t. Now it’s just spinning inside the wing. I can feel it spinning with ‘gritty resistance’. Seems the epoxy holding the thread insert (‘nutsert’) has failed. Now I can’t get the bolt out. I’ve tried applying pressure against the bolt while turning in an attempt to have the nutsert grab material to hold it in place....but it seems the locktight is more powerful and holding the bolt inside the nutsert.

If you have experience with this situation, I’d greatly appreciate ANY insight into how the bolt got removed.

thank you.
here’s what I’m trying to put on:

Old 04-11-2020, 02:53 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

i used to think the porsche was a paragon of precision and acuracy but between my friends and i we've worked in 3 different gt3's and gt3 RS's of ours and the number of over torqued, cross threaded or just plain poorly placed nuts and bolts on these cars from the factory is astounding.

it's one thing when you can get to the fastener and just replace it, but when the fastener is bonded inside a carbon element like a wing or an engine cover that sucks.

only thing i can think of is to take a dremel tool and cut a hole in the side of the existing end plate so you can access the nut on the other side and try to get the fasteners apart. i'm assuming you have the stock plastic end plates.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:29 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

One of the bolts in one of my end plates is the same. Annoying.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:24 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
i used to think the porsche was a paragon of precision and acuracy but between my friends and i we've worked in 3 different gt3's and gt3 RS's of ours and the number of over torqued, cross threaded or just plain poorly placed nuts and bolts on these cars from the factory is astounding.

it's one thing when you can get to the fastener and just replace it, but when the fastener is bonded inside a carbon element like a wing or an engine cover that sucks.

only thing i can think of is to take a dremel tool and cut a hole in the side of the existing end plate so you can access the nut on the other side and try to get the fasteners apart. i'm assuming you have the stock plastic end plates.
Yeah, part of me thinks Porsche should warranty such a thing.
And yes, the OEM end plates are still on the wing... I was hoping I didn’t have to sacrifice a part (more $) to finish this ‘simple’ project.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:25 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
One of the bolts in one of my end plates is the same. Annoying.
You never got it out?
Old 04-11-2020, 04:33 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Can you re-epoxy it? Then use some penetrating oil to make it come out easier?
Old 04-11-2020, 04:48 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
You never got it out?
No, gave up. I wasn't prepared to trash the end plate, or worse, the wing.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:26 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sgroer
Can you re-epoxy it? Then use some penetrating oil to make it come out easier?
Unfortunately, no. If I could get the screw out first, and the end plate off the wing body, then yes...I could re-epoxy the nutsert back into the end plate bracket.

There’s no way to get to the nutsert with the end plate still attached.

Worse yet...it seems the other side may have the same issue.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:39 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
No, gave up. I wasn't prepared to trash the end plate, or worse, the wing.
This is what my wife is telling me...
Old 04-11-2020, 05:45 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I’ve learned sometimes call a time out before it’s gets worse. Good luck man know it’s frustrating when you can’t finish something that appears easy. The end caps looks amazing by the way.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:11 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I’ve learned sometimes call a time out before it’s gets worse. Good luck man know it’s frustrating when you can’t finish something that appears easy. The end caps looks amazing by the way.
Thanks bud. I started this yesterday around 6pm and stepped away from it around 7:30. Then re-approached it this morning for about 30min... and have been noodling on it since.

What should have been such an easy mod.........
Old 04-11-2020, 06:19 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I had the same issue when I tried to remove the wing's uprights from the decklid as I wanted to drive the car wingless. I ended up pulling the insert out all together as I figured since it was spinning inside the decklid, it wasn't doing it job of holding the upright in place anyway. Once the insert came out with the bolt inside, then it was easy to untwist the insert out using a pair of pliers. I then used epoxy to glue the insert back into the decklid and now it is nice and secure, but I don't dare to tighten the bolt into this insert too tightly anymore, not the I remove and put the wing back on often.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:27 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Originally Posted by bli8
I had the same issue when I tried to remove the wing's uprights from the decklid as I wanted to drive the car wingless. I ended up pulling the insert out all together as I figured since it was spinning inside the decklid, it wasn't doing it job of holding the upright in place anyway. Once the insert came out with the bolt inside, then it was easy to untwist the insert out using a pair of pliers. I then used epoxy to glue the insert back into the decklid and now it is nice and secure, but I don't dare to tighten the bolt into this insert too tightly anymore, not the I remove and put the wing back on often.
Exact same situation and solution for me.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:15 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bli8
Thanks for sharing.
If I could actually get to the insert, I’d be better off. But since the bolt has lock-tite on it, the insert is just spinning inside the wing body with no access to it.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:28 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
Thanks for sharing.
If I could actually get to the insert, I’d be better off. But since the bolt has lock-tite on it, the insert is just spinning inside the wing body with no access to it.
Please keep us posted if you figure out a way to get them off. I don't really need to remove my end plates, but it drives me crazy knowing they aren't correct.

Quick Reply: .2 RS Wing end plates FAIL