Sponsored by:

The GT3 RS is truly unbelievable !

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 09:03 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cadster
So everyone has a unique Ferrari story to tell. Mine is much different than yours. I have had less Ferrari’s (first was a F12, now I own a 812) and owned them for less years (coming up on 4 total). Nonetheless, my experience has not revealed a disproportionate number of status seekers. Two summers ago, I did Corso Pilota with Ferrari at Road Atlanta. If there were ever an interesting study in who the “high end” Ferrari buyer is (it cost almost $20,000 all in for 2 days), it would be that event. I found everyone to be extremely understated, down to earth, and modest. I was actually quite surprised. It was not at all what I expected. The typical new Ferrari buyer is old. There is no way around that. I’m considered young at just under 50. The cars cost so darn much that only idiots or very well-established dare buy them. I’ve talked before with my salesperson over the years to try and learn about his business and who his buyers are. He indicates that all of them are much like me: love cars, many own businesses, none of them need the cars to make them feel cool, they just love the Ferrari mystique and all that comes with it. It’s also worth pointing out, that Ferrari even makes cars that attract less attention on the road than a Porsche GT car does. My Grigio Silverstone 812 is nearly invisible to all but the most ardent sports car fan.

Regarding, ownership experience. My cars have been bullet proof. The fit and finish is superb. When my new car warranty runs out on the 812, I will not extend it. My dealer, Ferrari of Atlanta, is phenomenal. Sales and service are top notch.

Lest anyone think that I am merely a Ferrari apologist or shill, I also own a Huracan Performante, and recently added a 2005 Ford GT. I have an allocation for a 765LT (still undecided on that, what with the CV19 Depression and all). I got super close to buying a Miami Blue GT3 RS last year. I still intend to add either a GT3 RS or GT2 RS at some point in the future. I did the GT3 Porsche Driving Experience in Atlanta a couple years back, and I love the brand. In any case, I am a car loyalist, not a brand loyalist.

Again, not disputing either your experience or your perspective, just providing mine.
Cadster,

Great post. You nailed it.

"I am a car loyalist, not a brand loyalist". Bingo!

Your Ferrari owner description fit me eerily well. But damn I also love Porsche. My decision was to "start" with 2016 Ferrari California T (which I have now modified (Novitec piggyback) to get 488 power) with the Handling Speciale package. Also added the Capristo exhaust. It's not a GT3 in terms of sound but still very nice. "The Ferrari Thing" happened because a buddy had a 458 Spyder that I made the mistake of driving through some of the most beautiful roads in the Western US on a beautiful day. I went down to my dealer and ordered a California T the next week -- just to get a starter feel for the brand (So Far, So Good). I am out looking for a 458 Spyder now. That wail! Damn!

We've got some L-O-N-G straightaways near where I live and damn if I don't love driving my .2 GT3 at full wail up to very high top speeds. It's just amazing. With the GMG center exhaust, my buddy who races Ducati's said (about 20 seconds into his first time behind the wheel of a .2 GT3), "WOW -- this car is a close to sport bike feel/sound as you can get. I have to get one of these". LOL.

I have been flirting with the idea of adding a 720S. The speed looks to be addicting.

I am also at the top of the list for the new GT4RS when it comes out (hoping it really does get the 4.0 liter / 500HP engine). This one will be with a 6MT. Because I am a tad older than most of you guys, I am in all out love with the PDK. When I was younger, 6 speeds were religion to me. Now that I am older, I love the optionality of the PDK. It's ridiculously awesome. That said, I think the weighting and playfulness of a GT4RS is perfectly suited to a 6 MT and can't wait to get it.

Bottom line -- as you said, if the car makes you feel alive, gets your adrenaline going and keeps you young (at least at heart), then that is what ALL of this is about.

Thanks for your post and look forward to more.
The following users liked this post:
cadster (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 09:16 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cadster
So everyone has a unique Ferrari story to tell. Mine is much different than yours. I have had less Ferrari’s (first was a F12, now I own a 812) and owned them for less years (coming up on 4 total). Nonetheless, my experience has not revealed a disproportionate number of status seekers. Two summers ago, I did Corso Pilota with Ferrari at Road Atlanta. If there were ever an interesting study in who the “high end” Ferrari buyer is (it cost almost $20,000 all in for 2 days), it would be that event. I found everyone to be extremely understated, down to earth, and modest. I was actually quite surprised. It was not at all what I expected. The typical new Ferrari buyer is old. There is no way around that. I’m considered young at just under 50. The cars cost so darn much that only idiots or very well-established dare buy them. I’ve talked before with my salesperson over the years to try and learn about his business and who his buyers are. He indicates that all of them are much like me: love cars, many own businesses, none of them need the cars to make them feel cool, they just love the Ferrari mystique and all that comes with it. It’s also worth pointing out, that Ferrari even makes cars that attract less attention on the road than a Porsche GT car does. My Grigio Silverstone 812 is nearly invisible to all but the most ardent sports car fan.

Regarding, ownership experience. My cars have been bullet proof. The fit and finish is superb. When my new car warranty runs out on the 812, I will not extend it. My dealer, Ferrari of Atlanta, is phenomenal. Sales and service are top notch.

Lest anyone think that I am merely a Ferrari apologist or shill, I also own a Huracan Performante, and recently added a 2005 Ford GT. I have an allocation for a 765LT (still undecided on that, what with the CV19 Depression and all). I got super close to buying a Miami Blue GT3 RS last year. I still intend to add either a GT3 RS or GT2 RS at some point in the future. I did the GT3 Porsche Driving Experience in Atlanta a couple years back, and I love the brand. In any case, I am a car loyalist, not a brand loyalist.

Again, not disputing either your experience or your perspective, just providing mine.
The older I get (I’m 49) the more I regress I like to keep my analog equipment (sold 430, FF, F12 etc) kept direct linkage, no digital oversight (we have enough digital oversight), as with flying and sailing, you want to minimize disruptions between you and sir Isaac Newton, then you feel nature, not a simulation of nature

To each his own, enjoy whatever equipment you get your hands on, they are all great, and we are privileged to be able to play like that, especially these days

The following 2 users liked this post by speef:
AllAboutThatP (04-17-2020), RossP (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

For me the issue is that I just love driving convertible cars and if my F430 Spider (summer daily driver) spends 30% of the summer in the garage getting sorted / waiting for parts I might as well swap for a 718 4.0 GT4 Spyder which is new and has a 4 year guarantee and doesnt need so much maintenance
Old 04-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

I had 2 Ferraris and 1 Porsche for 15 years, now its 2 Porsches and 1 Ferrari, soon it might be 3 Porsches !
The following users liked this post:
speef (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 03:32 PM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
For me the issue is that I just love driving convertible cars and if my F430 Spider (summer daily driver) spends 30% of the summer in the garage getting sorted / waiting for parts I might as well swap for a 718 4.0 GT4 Spyder which is new and has a 4 year guarantee and doesnt need so much maintenance
well at least you can get 8-12 weeks a year with an open top
Old 04-17-2020, 03:46 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
I'd take a 718 Spyder all day long unless you want a "classic" and all the high maintenance that goes along with that. Thats why i sold my 993 Cabrio. I dont have a 10 car garage - it was great for 500 to 1000 miles a year but apart from that - a pain in the ***. And it was cherry
Old 04-17-2020, 07:38 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
I have been flirting with the idea of adding a 720S. The speed looks to be addicting.
The speed is addicting, but you only really benefit from that speed the same as any other high horsepower car. Going down the back straightaway at Road Atlanta my son hit 177 mph. I got up to about 165 mph and it feels REALLY light. I've read about this from others in the long straighaway at COTA. The 720 could definitely use some more downforce if you plan to spend a fair amount of time on the track.

Last edited by dmac; 04-19-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: The GT3 RS is truly unbelievable !