Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The GT3 RS is truly unbelievable !

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 02:18 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

The 765LT is going to be an improvement over the 720S and we'll see lap times tumble, I'd guess just the Trofeo R tires alone will drop close to a second per minute of lap time. Imagine what these carbon tub cars can do w/ rear axle steering and wider tires like what's on the RS?
The following users liked this post:
cadster (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 11:52 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
The 765LT is going to be an improvement over the 720S and we'll see lap times tumble, I'd guess just the Trofeo R tires alone will drop close to a second per minute of lap time. Imagine what these carbon tub cars can do w/ rear axle steering and wider tires like what's on the RS?
I really like the direction Mclaren are going in (I own a 720S) however the designs as they currently stand do inhibit placement and size of suspension components, wheels/tires and places limits on geometry. The reality is the 720S is under tired relative to its potential although I could argue the same for the GT3 RS to some degree (as in lack of choice) - I really detest the amount of squirm you get from the MPSC2/MPSC2R - under very hard braking from high speed straights into low speed corners.

I would really like to talk some of this through with both Porsche and the tire engineers - the usual answer is get a cup car and take part in Cup events, nice but my interest is tarmac rallying .....so no dice.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-13-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Manuals are fun but they can’t keep up with the sophistication of the rest of the car in the case of the gt3RS...
i enjoy a manual gearshift experience, love my gated R8, but the PDK-s in the RS feels more like a sequential gearbox in a race car and fits perfectly with the rest of the car ...

Originally Posted by Waxer
I also have manuals to scratch the itch. Conversely, PDK provides its own form of fun a manual can’t deliver

agreed x2
Old 04-13-2020, 01:56 PM
Jack Liston
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always hard to sacrifice the experience of a fun manual transmission for the outright speed and efficiency of the sequential.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:19 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does the .1RS have the 10yr 120k warranty that the .1gt3 has?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by basil2000
Does the .1RS have the 10yr 120k warranty that the .1gt3 has?
No. The reason is the .1 3RS did/does not have the same failure issues the .1 GT3 has/had.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:30 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
Well as I have probably owned a SCUD for longer than you have, I think I am better placed to make that judgement call, and if the SCUD is a such a fabulous car, why are there well over a hundred for sale globally, many for years ? I am not selling my F430 Spider tho, its glorious had it from new, racing seats, carbon brakes etc. The SCUD is simply OLD tech, no 4 wheel steering etc and outpaced by far by the GT3 RS 991.1

People who believe "but it is a Ferrari, need to get over their ego issues" not to mention the comparative lap times https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eife_lap_times
I have owned several Ferraris over the years, including Scud, 458, FF, F12 Etc and I do not think I will ever own another one again, except my 550 which is a keeper for what I like. Ferraris are emotional and have wonderful performance, but are also anxiety inducing equipment. I do not like the brand association as they are largely purchased (not exclusively, but largely) by status seeking buyers, they also have very fragmented logistics and operations and marginal support in most countries which takes away from the whole experience. I have owned Ferraris in the US, Asia and Europe, not much difference In terms of support and also mostly marginal build quality.

IMHO there’s nothing like a Porsche to combine performance with the highest degree of quality and in a much more humble package. I drove all my Ferraris hard, many miles when I owned them, and I do not regret selling any of them, don’t miss them one bit.

997.2 gt3rs, 991 gt3rs, CGT - not much else can compete for pure enjoyment and for the most part headache-free ownership. 30 Porsches over the years and counting and I can not recall too many failures or mechanical problems beyond normal wear and tear, superb equipment anyone can enjoy
991C2S88 (06-23-2022)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:27 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by speef
I have owned several Ferraris over the years, including Scud, 458, FF, F12 Etc and I do not think I will ever own another one again, except my 550 which is a keeper for what I like. Ferraris are emotional and have wonderful performance, but are also anxiety inducing equipment. I do not like the brand association as they are largely purchased (not exclusively, but largely) by status seeking buyers, they also have very fragmented logistics and operations and marginal support in most countries which takes away from the whole experience. I have owned Ferraris in the US, Asia and Europe, not much difference In terms of support and also mostly marginal build quality.

IMHO there’s nothing like a Porsche to combine performance with the highest degree of quality and in a much more humble package. I drove all my Ferraris hard, many miles when I owned them, and I do not regret selling any of them, don’t miss them one bit.

997.2 gt3rs, 991 gt3rs, CGT - not much else can compete for pure enjoyment and for the most part headache-free ownership. 30 Porsches over the years and counting and I can not recall too many failures or mechanical problems beyond normal wear and tear, superb equipment anyone can enjoy
+1

Porsches don't need to be very expensive (relatively) to provide an exceptional driving and ownership experience either. Like these gems.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:37 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 355 Posts

Come on speef, there is nothing on Porsche side short of Carrera Gt that can give you the visceral scream and emotion of a Scud, even if it's more delicate and now outdated...
Love that flat plane crank V8... you gotta have both, they're different. Porsche feels more solid and easier to maintain etc. but nothing compares to the sensitivity and responsiveness of a good F-Car.. except a nice CGT or maybe a 911R with SMFW (even then... don't think so..)
One is emotional temperamental sexy screamer misfit, the other is a reliable stout and fast Bertha...except for CGT.. [CGT=God-Mobile]
Not talking about performance numbers here just subjective feel...
David Godinho (04-16-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:47 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Catdog - Respectfully, your perspective and explanation of your experience is simply that, nothing more or less. Similarly, if someone states their perspective and experience and if it varies from yours this changes nothing. You will still feel how you do and the other person the same. There are plethora of people and so called influencers who get paid to hype up cars, and in some instances it is effective. Even then it is not too different than what you've stated is your experience. Since each persons experience is all that matters when owning the car, it is a bit funny when these exchanges occur. There is no official measurement or standard that states this is how anyone should feel about their car. For example, if speef were to state his experience with his RS is by far more visceral, memorable and exciting than a Ferrari...people will debate that is simply not true...when in fact it is true simply because that is his experience and his reality. Whether someone agrees with that means nothing, as it is his car and no one but him can explain how he feels. Additionally, even if someone owns both cars, similar to you, that does not change the fact this remains your opinion.

FWIW, I think the 430 is an awesome car. I don't plan to buy one but I can appreciate the loyalty from many owners who have a strong passion for the brand and their cars.

Cheers!
catdog2 (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 12:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

The Scud is like a high-priced call girl.

Great for a night.

But not a girl you want to put a ring on.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
catdog2 (04-15-2020), speef (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 03:51 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
+1

Porsches don't need to be very expensive (relatively) to provide an exceptional driving and ownership experience either. Like these gems.

So true - in fact I'm speccing a Spyder in GT Silver right now - my feeling is its the pick of the current available P car line up. Although, I feel the 718 GTS/Boxster 4L will represent excellent bang for for buck. I had a run out in the new model Spyder yesterday, its both a hoot and very well dialled in for a true road car. In person it looks great if nicely optioned. The six speed manual is a nice, short throw sweet gearbox very smooth. Suits the car perfectly.

Back to the fezzas, when I was going through my 488GTB spider phase a couple of years back - there were a couple of things that put me off (no not the turbocharged engine which is excellent) (1) when I spent a day cutting laps round a track I felt the back end of the 488 was way to soft when I was giving it a hiding (2) I couldn't help have the feeling that at 8/10ths my 981 Cayman GTS (I still own this) felt just as good if not better and the Cayman at its limit also felt better - this was a very big surprise to me. This is what drove in to the arms of a 720S - which is very different for so many reasons. I would never say no to a Ferrari, however I haven't found the right one for me.

Notwithstanding that, you're right on the money in regard to Porsche, they don't let you down, they always offer something special that really engages your brain and body simultaneously - that doesn't mean they are perfect and in many respects can be quite frustrating - I wrote this in another thread, there are some pretty sensible basic improvements that could be made to some of the GT cars that would make them so much better as base cars, sure it will make them a bit more hardcore - but they will benefit so much from these simple changes.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:43 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Come on speef, there is nothing on Porsche side short of Carrera Gt that can give you the visceral scream and emotion of a Scud, even if it's more delicate and now outdated...
Love that flat plane crank V8... you gotta have both, they're different. Porsche feels more solid and easier to maintain etc. but nothing compares to the sensitivity and responsiveness of a good F-Car.. except a nice CGT or maybe a 911R with SMFW (even then... don't think so..)
One is emotional temperamental sexy screamer misfit, the other is a reliable stout and fast Bertha...except for CGT.. [CGT=God-Mobile]
Not talking about performance numbers here just subjective feel...
Hi man, I think you nailed it, subjective ...

Of course Ferraris are amazing, They’re all great... hers’ my take on the whole hypercar deal... it’s a marketing driven industry, as you know. Hypercars have no real purpose when it comes to driving performance, they are absolutely way too fast for the street, and can not really be enjoyed unless you start to really push them, so way too fast for public roads, but way too heavy for the track. Most people who buy them either drive them below anything that does them justice or drive them like morons. I have raced for many years, as many of you have, and you now that most dedicated track cars have a completely different level of performance, as power to weight, transition dynamics, braking performance etc are off the charts compared to anything that needs to be volume produced, and DOT approved with crash zones etc. The only way to extract anything the other side of 50% performance requires you to do stupid things in most states or countries. So hypercars are overpriced, gorgeous, beautifully engineered and crafted (some not all) toys for wealthy operators, who, for the most part use them as they were intended to be used, which is, getting laid ...

if you’re asking me, personally, what I like, I would pick something I can drive reliably that gives a mechanical sensation, and isn’t too perfect on the road, and something very dedicated on the track. For road use I like things that don’t cause headaches with reliability, Owning supercars is like owning a kindergarten they all look adorable in that school picture until you show up at 11am and you have a war scene with 30 screaming kids that require constant attention, paint everywhere, soccer ***** through the window, mayhem... it’s a full time job ... And God forbid if you need to deal with the parents ...Scud is an awesome machine, beautiful, sounds great, looks great, but it gets old fast on public roads, and it’s way too heavy for the track. Does it mean there’s no market for it, of course there is. I’m just saying it’s not my preference

So there’s this large category of expensive “performance art” that’s stuck between real world and dedicated track use.

An Ariel Atom will get your heart pumping like nothing else for instance on the road at 1/10th the price and 1/50th the maintenance cost of any hypercar, it’s as easy as a motorcycle to own. That, in my opinion, adds a lot of enjoyment.

Porsche for me strikes that balance, and I like the added benefit that I never get middle fingers at the stop lights, only thumbs up. Not so with Ferrari, McLaren or Lambo. Those brands carry a lot of social resentment, which will only grow given where we are heading ...

Just my 2c and my 2c alone
catdog2 (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 09:07 AM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

As first I thought “who actually gets middle fingers at stop lights?” And then I remembered last time I drove my 675LT a guy in a Prius flipped me the bird at a stop light...
Old 04-15-2020, 01:21 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The Scud is like a high-priced call girl.

Great for a night.

But not a girl you want to put a ring on.
From experience? Lol😉
catdog2 (04-15-2020)

Quick Reply: The GT3 RS is truly unbelievable !