991.2 Gt3 to 718 Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 06:30 PM
alasorte
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
911therapy:

Did you change your camber to run the Hankooks or are you running the same as the Pirelli's and Michelnin's? I think the sidewalls are a bit stiffer on the Hankooks so trying to understand if the setup needs to change?
Same question here. Have a new 718 Clubsport on the way. I anticipate using Pirellis down the road, but want to run a couple sets of Hankooks while I learn the car. Is there any difference in suspension setup between Pirellis and Hankooks, or could I get the car aligned, set the camber, etc and switch between the two brands? (And are there any Hankook sizes with similar circumference to Pirellis?)

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:26 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by alasorte
Same question here. Have a new 718 Clubsport on the way. I anticipate using Pirellis down the road, but want to run a couple sets of Hankooks while I learn the car. Is there any difference in suspension setup between Pirellis and Hankooks, or could I get the car aligned, set the camber, etc and switch between the two brands? (And are there any Hankook sizes with similar circumference to Pirellis?)

Thanks in advance.
Not sure about the 718 GT4 CS but on the 981 GT4 CS a different suspension setup is required. The differences aren't huge but the proper setup should be made for each tire. My race shop said I should not switch between Hankooks and Pirelli without making the changes. The other issue that was raised is that the Bosch Motorsport ABS was calibrated using Pirelli tires and it may not like the changes in size, etc. as Hankook does not make the same exact sizes as Pireili. I was told that Michelin and Yoko do make the same sizes. I have not verified this though. Again, this is for the 981. Not sure the issues are the same as the 781.
The following users liked this post:
alasorte (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:11 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't have any on track experience with the Hankooks on the 718 CS yet due to shutdowns etc. so this isn't that useful. I have a set of C52 med on the car now and hope to get out in Sept. For sizes, Hankook motorsports recommend 250/640/18 and 300/680/18 which is what I have. The circumferences are close to the Michelin slicks (25/64/18, 27/68/18) the factory recommends. There is a procedure in the tech manual to measure the circumference and input it in the Cosworth ICD. The Hankooks are well within the allowed range of circumferences and ratio f/r listed in the manual, so PSM, ABS should not be a problem- hopefully. For alignment I just set the car up as recommended in the manual with front camber -3.5deg, rear -3.3deg. These are in the range Hankook recommend in the tire user guide. I figured that's a reasonable starting point. Of course tire temps with a probe pyrometer would be needed to optimize.
The following 2 users liked this post by zedcat:
alasorte (07-28-2020), s996 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 06:01 PM
alasorte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alevine
Not sure about the 718 GT4 CS but on the 981 GT4 CS a different suspension setup is required. The differences aren't huge but the proper setup should be made for each tire. My race shop said I should not switch between Hankooks and Pirelli without making the changes. The other issue that was raised is that the Bosch Motorsport ABS was calibrated using Pirelli tires and it may not like the changes in size, etc. as Hankook does not make the same exact sizes as Pireili. I was told that Michelin and Yoko do make the same sizes. I have not verified this though. Again, this is for the 981. Not sure the issues are the same as the 781.
Originally Posted by zedcat
I don't have any on track experience with the Hankooks on the 718 CS yet due to shutdowns etc. so this isn't that useful. I have a set of C52 med on the car now and hope to get out in Sept. For sizes, Hankook motorsports recommend 250/640/18 and 300/680/18 which is what I have. The circumferences are close to the Michelin slicks (25/64/18, 27/68/18) the factory recommends. There is a procedure in the tech manual to measure the circumference and input it in the Cosworth ICD. The Hankooks are well within the allowed range of circumferences and ratio f/r listed in the manual, so PSM, ABS should not be a problem- hopefully. For alignment I just set the car up as recommended in the manual with front camber -3.5deg, rear -3.3deg. These are in the range Hankook recommend in the tire user guide. I figured that's a reasonable starting point. Of course tire temps with a probe pyrometer would be needed to optimize.
Thanks to both alevine and zedcat. Very helpful info. I'll look into this further and post what else I ca nfind.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:53 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here. Just sold my 991.1 GT3 and a 718 GT4 Clubsport is now on the way to me from Porsche Motorsport in Atlanta. I was only driving the GT3 on track anyway, never on the street. Might as well move up to the safety and feel of a full-on race car.

If anyone's in the market for a stock 2015 991.1 that's fast (2:18's at Sebring on Cup2's), with low miles (10,700), mine is on its way to Isringhausen Imports in Springfield, IL. The car deserves to be owned and tracked by a fellow Rennlister. Give Geoff Isringhausen up there a call.
Did your Clubsport come in? If so, first impressions? Mine
came in yesterday and my first track event will be 09/10.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:20 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

^^^let us know what you think.
bhf_clt (08-30-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 05:52 PM
alasorte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
Did your Clubsport come in? If so, first impressions? Mine
came in yesterday and my first track event will be 09/10.
Yes, the Clubsport is here and it's awesome. Took it to Sebring to shake it out a couple weekends ago. It's easy to drive fast, handles similarly to my track-prepped Cayman R, but with way more grip, a bit more grunt, a full cage and fire suppression system.

There are a lot of parts (data cables, etc.) in boxes that come with the car, and not much in the way of an owner's manual. I had no idea what some of the parts are for. So I brought a tech guy with me to Sebring who is experienced with Clubsports to help shorten my learning curve. He was a big help.

The price of the car was pretty much worth it just watching the air jacks lift the car. Needless to say, I do not miss messing around with centerlocks on a GT3.

On track with Pirelli slicks for the first time, the Clubsport was a couple seconds slower than my 911.1 GT3 on Cup2's. But I blame that on the driver, not the car. I was a slow learner when I first got the GT3, too, but eventually got much quicker in it. The first laps in the Clubsport were quicker than my first laps in the GT3 by a couple of seconds. As I better learn the car, I expect the Clubsport will end up being a couple seconds quicker than the GT3.

Also, it has a very different feeling on track. It is unmistakably a race car, with extremely firm springs and very responsive steering. In sharp corners it rotates on its axis like only a mid-engined car can. But I have learned that many CS owners here in Florida change out the springs for softer ones due to Sebring being so bumpy. With its stiff spring setup, it does get a little squirrely in bumpy corners like the second half of Sebring's Turn 17. So I'm swapping out the stiff springs.

The car comes with the Cosworth dash data system display, which seems pretty cryptic. I had a race shop install a VBox system with video, data and a predictive lap time display. VBox lets you use an iPad for data overlays and data analysis while at the track. Very handy and it all works great in the CS.

All in all, the Clubsport is a blast. GT3's are probably the best car in the world to drive on both the street and the track. But if you only drive your GT3 on the track (like I was doing), the experience in the Clubsport really does take it up a notch.

I'm doing another DE at Sebring in two weeks, then racing there the following weekend. So far, so good!

The new Clubsport up on the air jacks at Sebring

Last edited by alasorte; 08-29-2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 3 users liked this post by alasorte:
cafe_racer (12-14-2022), Pokerhobo (09-03-2020), vantage (09-03-2022)
Old 08-29-2020, 11:23 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Congrats!! I'm smiling just reading your post. Enjoy, and don't worry about the laptime comparison--it'll come to you naturally. The best part of it is the mental comfort of being able to push, in the safety of a properly caged factory racecar.

Looking forward to more of your stories!

Yes, the Clubsport is here and it's awesome. Took it to Sebring to shake it out a couple weekends ago. It's easy to drive fast, handles similarly to my track-prepped Cayman R, but with way more grip, a bit more grunt, a full cage and fire suppression system.
y.
There are a lot of parts (data cables, etc.) in boxes that come with the car, and not much in the way of an owner's manual. I had no idea what some of the parts are for. So I brought a tech guy with me to Sebring who is experienced with Clubsports to help shorten my learning curve. He was a big help.

The price of the car was pretty much worth it just watching the air jacks lift the car. Needless to say, I do not miss messing around with centerlocks on a GT3.

On track with Pirelli slicks for the first time, the Clubsport was a couple seconds slower than my 911.1 GT3 on Cup2's. But I blame that on the driver, not the car. I was a slow learner when I first got the GT3, too, but eventually got much quicker in it. The first laps in the Clubsport were quicker than my first laps in the GT3 by a couple of seconds. As I better learn the car, I expect the Clubsport will end up being a couple seconds quicker than the GT3.

Also, it has a very different feeling on track. It is unmistakably a race car, with extremely firm springs and very responsive steering. In sharp corners it rotates on its axis like only a mid-engined car can. But I have learned that many CS owners here in Florida change out the springs for softer ones due to Sebring being so bumpy. With its stiff spring setup, it does get a little squirrely in bumpy corners like the second half of Sebring's Turn 17. So I'm swapping out the stiff springs.

The car comes with the Cosworth dash data system display, which seems pretty cryptic. I had a race shop install a VBox system with video, data and a predictive lap time display. VBox lets you use an iPad for data overlays and data analysis while at the track. Very handy and it all works great in the CS.

All in all, the Clubsport is a blast. GT3's are probably the best car in the world to drive on both the street and the track. But if you only drive your GT3 on the track (like I was doing), the experience in the Clubsport really does take it up a notch.

I'm doing another DE at Sebring in two weeks, then racing there the following weekend. So far, so good!

alasorte (08-29-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 04:38 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Congrats!! I'm smiling just reading your post. Enjoy, and don't worry about the laptime comparison--it'll come to you naturally. The best part of it is the mental comfort of being able to push, in the safety of a properly caged factory racecar.

Looking forward to more of your stories!
100% this.. dedicated track car gives that knowledge and confidence that you can explore the limits incrementally while not risking everything like with a road car on track.
alasorte (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 06:05 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

This is great intel, thanks!
alasorte (08-31-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:41 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Do you foresee any issues with doing your own track support for DEs going forward. I’ll have support my first day to get checked out on the car but didn’t think I’d need it going forward. I did my own support with the RS.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:33 AM
alasorte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
Do you foresee any issues with doing your own track support for DEs going forward. I’ll have support my first day to get checked out on the car but didn’t think I’d need it going forward. I did my own support with the RS.
The Clubsport seems no more complicated to support for DE’s than an RS. (And with air jacks and no centerlocks, tire changes are way easier, as long as you’re willing to lug a nitrogen canister along.) I’ve got a DE at Sebring next weekend and will do it myself.

The first weekend you definitely need someone knowledgeable to show you around the car’s various features. But after that you should be fine.

I will be racing mine occasionally and will bring a race tech with me, but not for DE’s.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:37 PM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a couple questions about the CS.

1) Based on the price of a CS mentionedbin this thread, how is a CS cheaper proposition than a GT4? Run costs would havebto be way cheaper for the CS to recover the purchase price difference.

2) Are there any driver aides in the CS?

Old 09-03-2020, 12:21 AM
alasorte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by horns
I have a couple questions about the CS.

1) Based on the price of a CS mentioned in this thread, how is a CS cheaper proposition than a GT4? Run costs would havebto be way cheaper for the CS to recover the purchase price difference.

2) Are there any driver aides in the CS?
1) A CS costs at least 50% more to purchase than a GT4. A well equipped GT4 runs around $120K. A Trackday Clubsport is $183K direct from Porsche Motorsport. You will not recoup that differential through lower maintenance expenses.

As to running costs, the required maintenance work is similar for both cars, but Porsche does recommend more frequent fluid changes for the CS, probably because they assume the car will be raced, so CS running costs are somewhat higher.

Plus, the CS uses slicks, which cost more, and wear out more quickly than GT4 street tires. (Although CS wheels are smaller at 18”, which mitigates the tire price a little compared to GT4’s 19”) You will definitely spend more on tires with a CS. Brake expense should be about the same in both cars.

2. The CS has ABS, traction control and electronic stability control. The ABS is adjustable Via a **** on the center console as to when it kicks in. And you can turn off traction and ESC, although I don’t.

All in all, the CS is no harder to drive fast than the GT4, and in my opinion is even more fun. But it will definitely cost more up front, and also over time, than a GT4.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:00 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

A CS allows you to work your way up to its limits and yours.. you can attack curbs, it's dead neutral, and the grip levels on slicks are otherworldly compared to a Gt4. Also, safety is much higher. Don't think of cost.. it's 2x the fun and is a real track tool.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Gt3 to 718 Clubsport