Sponsored by:

991.2 Gt3 to 718 Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 12:10 AM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
agree re 991gt3 on slicks but most won't run slicks due to warranty issues so while its not a fair comparison but its the real situation
Based on my experience, for a 991.2 GT3 to come near or beat the lap times of a 718 Clubsport at my track, in addition to racing slicks, it would also need a motorsports suspension/shocks setup.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:26 AM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=kkabba;16320260][quote=Mr. Turtles]On the larger tracks, WGI for instance, the 991.2 GT3 on slicks is definitely faster in an experienced drivers hands than the 996 Cups or 981 Clubsport....

Fake News.
Haha that’s funny, so original. Like all of us I‘m just sharing experiences and as others have said the 981 Clubsports lack some torque. I guess you are attending faster events than me. Anyone at Cups and Saucers last couple years know the facts.

And unless I was asleep this summer I didn’t see any Clubsports running 1:24s at a PCA DE event at Mosport. If you ever actually ever attended a UCR event at Mosport you would know the most cars running in the Black advanced DE group were more than 1.30s because of traffic. No disrespect to the club.....great people, well organized and very friendly but The UCR PCA club is not that fast and many in black are running 944s and non GT cars. The only carS running in low 1:20’s at a PCA event at Mosport were Radicals during the advanced DE part of the club race.

Keep up your trolling. See you in spring/summer at a DE event with Chin (red group) or advanced DE (Cups n Saucers, Niagara Region, etc) and we will see if you can actually run the times you say. I’ll be in the Red 3.2 with a large wing on the back...not hiding from anyone and not racing anyone. Just out to have fun and learn more about my car. If you are as fast as you say I’ll be the first to point you by, no problem.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:57 AM
kkabba
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Haha that’s funny, so original. Like all of us I‘m just sharing experiences and as others have said the 981 Clubsports lack some torque. I guess you are attending faster events than me. Anyone at Cups and Saucers last couple years know the facts.

And unless I was asleep this summer I didn’t see any Clubsports running 1:24s at a PCA DE event at Mosport. If you ever actually ever attended a UCR event at Mosport you would know the most cars running in the Black advanced DE group were more than 1.30s because of traffic. No disrespect to the club.....great people, well organized and very friendly but The UCR PCA club is not that fast and many in black are running 944s and non GT cars. The only carS running in low 1:20’s at a PCA event at Mosport were Radicals during the advanced DE part of the club race.

Keep up your trolling. See you in spring/summer at a DE event with Chin (red group) or advanced DE (Cups n Saucers, Niagara Region, etc) and we will see if you can actually run the times you say. I’ll be in the Red 3.2 with a large wing on the back...not hiding from anyone and not racing anyone. Just out to have fun and learn more about my car. If you are as fast as you say I’ll be the first to point you by, no problem.

Happy New Year.
I do not want to derail this excellent thread. But all I wish to add is that yes I attend PCA UCR events - actually I'm a newly minted instructor and looking forward to that next chapter in 2020!

As for cars in Black group at UCR not breaking 1:30, I cannot confirm either way as we do not time our laps at UCR. But having attended other track events at Mosport with similar flow of traffic, and where lap timers are permitted, me and my group of friends, who are for the most part in Black group at UCR, we would do anywhere between 1:26 to 1:29 depending on what cars we brought that day.

Finally the 1:24 lap time at Mosport in a 718 Clubsport is what IMSA pro drivers lap Mosport. I will likely never be able to do that. But my point is that this is incredibly quick at Mosport, and as we know that is as quick of a track as they come.

A 991.2 GT3 is an incredible street car and a very capable track car - but it lacks a motorsports suspension/shocks. Coupled with racing slicks and a motorsports suspension a GT3 in the hands of a pro driver could no doubt meet or beat 1:24 at Mosport.

And happy new year to you too.

Last edited by kkabba; 12-30-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:39 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Danny at Hankook recommended to me the 250/640R18 and 300/680R18. To be honest the 300 looks like it might be tight. Have not mounted a set yet, I still have transport tires on and my spares package hasn't arrived. The 280/680R18 looks like a closer fit to the Michelin 27/68-18 that Porsche recommends. I've seen Pirelli DH in 305 on some cars so maybe won't be an issue.
We ran the 240/640 and the 280/680. I would've liked a bit more front grip in the 981 but the 718 is pretty neutral with the front axle development.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Muu83
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally i think it's a no brainer, if you're not using the GT3 on the street anyway, I'd have the GT4 CS MR.

From my experience of other track cars out at spa, the driver gt4cs combo is usually faster, it's the twisty stuff out back they make time in.

Tim
The following users liked this post:
kfmcmahon (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 04:06 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Any temptations to dump the 997 for CS? Or just add as the dedicated track car and retire 997 to street?
None. For a short while I was tempted to get into a 991 GT3 PDK. Reasoning was same or better gearbox as the CS and way better engine but I got over that.

Owner of the CS replaced it with a 7.2 RS.

To be fair we're no longer die hard track guys and the hobby has become more occasional. We might have different wants and needs than you and OP.

Objectively a dedicated track/race car will always be better than a street car but personally I need a great engine to be happy.

The engine to me is the centerpiece that makes or break a car.

You could give me an otherwise perfect car with an average engine (eg CS) and I will never be happy.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 541 Posts

Good feedback. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:29 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

found this info on the Hankook site for tire sizing.

https://hankookmotorsports.com/porsche-motorsports/
The following users liked this post:
zedcat (12-30-2019)
Old 01-01-2020, 10:28 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 93 Posts

Is it me or there is some glitch on this thread? I subscribed to it and got the usual email after a post from @enoent yesterday. However I don’t see the post on the forum and it won’t update? It was such good info to the point it convinced me to move from my GT3 to a CS. Watch out for my post on marketplace later today!
Old 01-01-2020, 10:40 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by enoent
I also didn't realize that the car requires RON 98 or better, so I either need to bring 100 octane race gas or buy it at the pump if it is available at the track.
Keep in mind that RON 98 is the European rating. The equivalent US rating would be 94 octane.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:59 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Keep in mind that RON 98 is the European rating. The equivalent US rating would be 94 octane.
Correct and this initially confused me! The tech manual says that 98RON/88MON unleaded with up to 10% ethanol is recommended. This is the same as 93 (RON +MON)/2 Super unleaded pump gas which is common in my area (SE Tx). The manual further states if at least 95RON/85MON is available the engine knock sensors and DME will adjust timing.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:08 AM
enoent
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
Is it me or there is some glitch on this thread? I subscribed to it and got the usual email after a post from @enoent yesterday. However I don’t see the post on the forum and it won’t update? It was such good info to the point it convinced me to move from my GT3 to a CS. Watch out for my post on marketplace later today!
I think either I haven't posted enough and/or I was a bit too verbose, so it ended up awaiting moderator approval. For me it shows up if you scroll back to roughly where I originally replied.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:56 PM
991DUC
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Figured I would update this thread now that I have some miles on my 718 Clubsport:

Overall I am happy with the switch from the 991.2 Gt3 to the Clubsport. Most of my miles have been at a local club track (Putnam Park) but I also got it out to Road America last weekend. Before buying the car I was a little concerned about giving up the special character of the high revving GT3 motor. While the clubsport motor clearly does not compete on overall hp, or scream like the GT3 motor, the overall package is more fun to drive, even at a big track like Road America. The handling is great and more than makes up for the lower horsepower with more grip. I am already about a second quicker at Putnam in the clubsport than the gt3 on Hoosiers and I am still chasing the perfect setup and conditions. I got a decent baseline setup but am still working on a few tweaks to the roll bar settings that were suggested by a pro coach who drove the car. Other than tires, wear on consumables has been pretty good.

I don’t really have any negatives to report on the car as it meets the criteria I was looking for which is safer than a streetcar, fun and fast, while not being so fast I can’t enjoy it at a public track day. I will mention that getting used to a race car on slicks has been a slight adjustment. The car feels incredible when on fresher tires with good track conditions. As the tires age or track conditions deteriorate, the car definitely looses that magic feeling of precision where you feel like you can nail every apex lap after lap.

Finally, I chose the Pirelli slicks based on what I had read on how long they last. I have been using the new DHB compound and so far have not had any problems with flats. I have been careful to stay away from curbing on the first couple laps and don’t start with super low pressures. They feel incredible on the first few heat cycles and still feel great up up until 7-9 heat cycles. I ran my older set of tires up to 14 heat cycles at Road America and they weren’t perfect but also were still very usable. I definitely felt a fall off in grip through some of the braking zones and the carousel and imagine a set of stickers would have yielded 2+ seconds per lap at RA.

I would love to hear feedback from other clubsport owners, especially regarding the Michelin’s as I am going to try out a set soon.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:06 PM
kkabba
Racer

Originally Posted by 991DUC
Figured I would update this thread now that I have some miles on my 718 Clubsport:

Overall I am happy with the switch from the 991.2 Gt3 to the Clubsport. Most of my miles have been at a local club track (Putnam Park) but I also got it out to Road America last weekend. Before buying the car I was a little concerned about giving up the special character of the high revving GT3 motor. While the clubsport motor clearly does not compete on overall hp, or scream like the GT3 motor, the overall package is more fun to drive, even at a big track like Road America. The handling is great and more than makes up for the lower horsepower with more grip. I am already about a second quicker at Putnam in the clubsport than the gt3 on Hoosiers and I am still chasing the perfect setup and conditions. I got a decent baseline setup but am still working on a few tweaks to the roll bar settings that were suggested by a pro coach who drove the car. Other than tires, wear on consumables has been pretty good.

I don’t really have any negatives to report on the car as it meets the criteria I was looking for which is safer than a streetcar, fun and fast, while not being so fast I can’t enjoy it at a public track day. I will mention that getting used to a race car on slicks has been a slight adjustment. The car feels incredible when on fresher tires with good track conditions. As the tires age or track conditions deteriorate, the car definitely looses that magic feeling of precision where you feel like you can nail every apex lap after lap.

Finally, I chose the Pirelli slicks based on what I had read on how long they last. I have been using the new DHB compound and so far have not had any problems with flats. I have been careful to stay away from curbing on the first couple laps and don’t start with super low pressures. They feel incredible on the first few heat cycles and still feel great up up until 7-9 heat cycles. I ran my older set of tires up to 14 heat cycles at Road America and they weren’t perfect but also were still very usable. I definitely felt a fall off in grip through some of the braking zones and the carousel and imagine a set of stickers would have yielded 2+ seconds per lap at RA.

I would love to hear feedback from other clubsport owners, especially regarding the Michelin’s as I am going to try out a set soon.

Trying out my 718 Clubsport @ Mosport for the first time this week on Pirelli slicks as well but will revert back with my initial thoughts.

What tire pressures did you find optimal (cold and hot).

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:21 PM
991DUC
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
Trying out my 718 Clubsport @ Mosport for the first time this week on Pirelli slicks as well but will revert back with my initial thoughts.

What tire pressures did you find optimal (cold and hot).

Thanks!
Started off first session 23 cold but have to come back in after maybe 5-7 laps to bleed down pressure. Targeting 29-30 hot pressure. I am conservative on starting pressure given what I heard about tire failure.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Gt3 to 718 Clubsport