Sponsored by:

The Art of Racing in The Rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 221 Posts
Default The Art of Racing in The Rain

Posting here because many on this forum are track enthusiasts and I recall discussions around this book several years ago.

We Attended a special viewing of the recently released movie "The Art of Racing in The Rain". Porsche of the Main Line and McLaren Philadelphia hosted a showing at a local (Philadelphia suburb) movie theater. What made this showing special, besides the excellent book turned into a movie, is the intro to the movie by David Donohue and then a Q&A following the movie with David Donohue and Jeff Zwart, I believe his title was Technical Director.

I am far from a movie critic but my take is the movie stayed pretty true to the book. It was an enjoyable movie with some racing footage. My girlfriend also read the book and found the movie enjoyable.

Jeff added some great facts and history. Some of the key points I picked up:

* Thank you to Patrick Dempsey for buying the rights and bringing the movie to reality.
* The studio considered a NASCAR slant to appeal to a larger audience, Patrick and others pushed for the movie to stay true to sports car racing and allowed for the ending readers would recognize.
* Several race teams and IMSA provided drivers, cars, and pit crews to make scenes happen.
* Some execs wanted a COBRA replica for Enzo's ride around the track and Jeff had to convince the execs that the car should be a vintage Ferrari. (pictured in trailers and on posters) He eventually found someone with a vintage Ferrari replica (apparently still valued close to 7 figures) and he put a similar looking dog in the passenger seat, took pictures of the car and submitted to the studio and they agreed the Ferrari fit the storyline better for those of you that know how the book ends.
* They had multiple water trucks and hoses on booms to film an important rain scene but even that would only provide a small amount of film time before the water would run out and as they set up the scene the skies opened up and they were able to film in real rain.
* Some of the stunt driving was performed by Tanner Foust.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2race:
911Jetta (08-14-2019), fjpdds (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

^ Good to hear you liked the Movie. I was going to see it yesterday but could not get my Wife and Son to join me because we just got back from vacation.

Will see it this upcoming weekend.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:55 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Cried at the start, cried at the end, racing in the middle, what more could you want from a movie?

btw - Testa Rossa scenes were shot at Seattle international raceway (or whatever they call it now, used to race AMA out there years ago.)
The following users liked this post:
luv2race (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:58 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

Can't wait to see it. Our golden got his name from that book.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:16 AM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 116 Posts

I read the book 6-7 years ago.... good book! I’ve heard good things about the movie. No way I’ll be able to watch it without sobbing and slobbering. I’ll wait and watch it my home theater.
The following 2 users liked this post by Apex Ace:
lfish (08-13-2019), luv2race (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:59 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

I read the book and just saw the movie. It stayed pretty close the excellent book. My wife enjoyed the movie, which says a lot, as she's not much of an auto racing fan. The scene at the end with the dog in the Ferrari is priceless.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Going to see it today. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:49 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Is this the movie?

Old 08-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Is this the movie?

https://youtu.be/Dp2ufFO4QGg

Yes that is the movie and a great book. Definitely a must see for any car guy.

Took my wife and daughter to see the movie on Sunday afternoon. They loved it! My daughter read the kid version of the book and she could not wait to see the movie. According to her the movie was just as good as the book. It is interesting how well Dempsey did with creating this movie from depicting the characters in it accurately to staying true to form of the book. I have raced and spent some time with a lot of the guys who were inspirations for the book. All of them are great guys that the movie did a great job telling their story.
911Jetta (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
* They had multiple water trucks and hoses on booms to film an important rain scene but even that would only provide a small amount of film time before the water would run out and as they set up the scene the skies opened up and they were able to film in real rain.
This was done at our local track here at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park and our Cup Car (#40 Blue Car) was part of the scene we shot last May @ CTMP in the Fake and Real Rain

View this post on Instagram
luv2race (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Great book.

Want to see the movie soon.

Must stay hydrated.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,602 Posts

I am glad to hear that the movie stayed pretty true to the book. I listened to an interview of Garth Stein on the Ross Bentley Speed Secrets podcast and he said he felt that it stayed pretty true although they made some changes and didn't really consult with him much, lol. I actually listened to this as an audiobook and felt that was really good too (was on Audible / Amazon) so if any of you are into that, I recommend that format. I'm not usually into audiobooks but this one was very well narrated and the pace was good.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

I really enjoyed the book (Thanks ct_pete!).

Glad to hear that the big screen adaptation is good

Btw: there is a short passage in the book that is the best description of over/understear/weight transfer (if my memory serves me) that I've read.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Saw movie last night. Weeped like a child

What a great movie. Forget the racing elements ect and still a fantastic movie. Great chick flick or movie night out with the Wife. Not a movie for a child( although I weeped like one )
Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

It's a dog with an internal monologue. What am I missing?

Quick Reply: The Art of Racing in The Rain