Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^ count me in for Sebring in September. Even though it’s insane hot then....
Old 04-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
And lugging water around..
I look at it as a new business opportunity.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Good stuff.

Originally Posted by A/S
Porsche marketing played us nicely.

Here are the Porsche published downforce numbers:

- 991.2 GT2 RS 686# and 915# on max downforce at 211mph (there is a speed limiter at 211mph, the car is capable of over 220mph bone stock).

- 991.2 GT3 RS 750# and 992# on max downforce. The catch: at 186mph. At 300 kp/h King Kong does 711# in max downforce mode.

We could say 711 vs. 992 is a small downforce difference (281#). Well, the 991 GT forum popular sidekick, a.k.a. McLaren 600LT produces 221 lbs of total downforce at 155mph, meaning that the downforce difference between the GT3RS and the GT2RS is a "Complete McLaren 600LT" and some more. We would need 2 (two) 991 Tourings with the GT3 front end and splitter, and the rear diffuser, to account the downforce difference between the GT3RS and GT2RS and we are short. The difference is big enough, that a complete 991.2 GT3 at 186mph produces a little more than the difference between the GT3RS and GT2RS.

Picture of the infamous flap to be removed for Max downforce in the Cayman GT4, 991.2 GT3RS and 991.2 GT2RS.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
And now you see why, after driving the GT2 RS, I thought, Do I have to drive the GT3 RS again?

To me, the interesting thing with the GT2 RS is not only its insane speed on longer straights, but its ability—on relatively short straights—to get up to top terminal speeds seen on other tracks. The autobahn superiority of a turbo car paired with a modern GT3 RS-level chassis and calibration prowess from the 918 (without AWD or hybrid) is a potent, and fun, combination. Addictive, too.

I hope they made a lot of them, and I sure hope people will use them. At track days.

My thought echos yours. The GT2RS simply is a monster. I do not miss a GT3RS one bit after tracking a GT2RS.

The only car I had more fun on a track is a Cup car.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I don't know...

Not sure I need to go 177Mph in my shorts with the windows down. Its problematic enough in the GT3RS.
The fun comes from nailing corners, not so much from straight line speed and braking from an even higher speed to an even lower Vmin per corner.
By that account you can argue for a GT4, but no PDK until later in the next version and you have to give up the wonderful tail location of the engine..

The GT2RS is even harder on tires and pads and the GT3RS already make it impossible to make it two weekends on a set of rear tires as it is.
And lugging water around.. Look forward to the same test at Sebring in September, I'll be renting the track again, so we can run windows up.
Pétition to run windows up?

Get a GT4 ClubSport and you can have a GT4 with PDK
Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
I look at it as a new business opportunity.

I'll be Whoopsy's waterboy LOL LOL..

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
My thought echos yours. The GT2RS simply is a monster. I do not miss a GT3RS one bit after tracking a GT2RS.

You're a track bully :-)

Pétition to run windows up?

Get a GT4 ClubSport and you can have a GT4 with PDK
Always petitioning..
GT4CS is right now the only alternative to a GT3RS in my book.But I like the *** engine thing so much.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:17 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Yeah, I don't know...

Not sure I need to go 177Mph in my shorts with the windows down. Its problematic enough in the GT3RS.
The fun comes from nailing corners, not so much from straight line speed and braking from an even higher speed to an even lower Vmin per corner.
By that account you can argue for a GT4, but no PDK until later in the next version and you have to give up the wonderful tail location of the engine..

The GT2RS is even harder on tires and pads and the GT3RS already make it impossible to make it two weekends on a set of rear tires as it is.
And lugging water around.. Look forward to the same test at Sebring in September, I'll be renting the track again, so we can run windows up.
I feel you on this. Bring safety considerations into it, and it's a whole other discussion—though I will say I felt safer in the GT2 RS despite the speeds. I think it was a combo of less fury out back (placebo), the 2Rs, and the aero, but the car felt less knife-edged. But...speed is speed. Period.

Consumables is yet another consideration. Add fuel to the list, and distilled water, as the GT2 RS likes its drink.

Even for all that, I prefer the GT2 RS. Yeah, that's easy to say when you get to run it for a couple of sessions as a guest. But it really wasn't just the speed. It was the way the car got off of corners, the way you could use the nearly same everything that the GT3 RS has differently and, in my opinion, a more fun matter. As I stated at the get go, I can see why some will still prefer the GT3 RS, but I'm converted for track use.

Originally Posted by krell
Pete, you mentioned this gentleman at PECATL named Kellen who is a suspension setup wiz. Would it be out of bounds to call there and ask to speak with him, then to request setup info for a GT3?
I'll try to get that, as well as target temps for the tires, hot.

In the meantime, the associated releases/info. The press kits on the cars are nothing new, but are nice to have and/or print out if you own the cars. If anyone has questions I can answer in terms of the driving experience of these two cars on that track, please have at it!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2019 911 GT3 RS press kit.pdf (285.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928cs
Pete,
Could-you, please collect the actual data, but I have seen a diagram about the downforce and GT2 RS<GT3 RS<GT2 RS ClubSport<Cup; from memory.
The figures were at 200 km/h and I was surprised by the difference between the GT2 RS and the GT3 RS.

I would be curious to know where the "935" is, in such company.
Hey Samuel,

I have seen that diagram, also, and will call a contact at PCNA about this today.

Cheers!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

This is the best way to put it.

I've only had more fun on track in race cars, and even then, the GT2 RS is something truly special. That engine is a masterpiece of its own, but it's paired with a fabulous transmission, a truly dialed chassis, fabulous tires, and brakes up to an insane task (never experienced anything but a solid pedal). And the car did 80+ minutes that day, none of them easy. The tech they brought along was catching up on email.

As for tire pressures:
  • They targeted around 31psi hot front, 34psi hot rear per Jim Knowles, who was on hand from Michelin.
  • Jim also ran the left tires 1-2psi higher to combat uneven wear from RA's long right-handers.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Even for all that, I prefer the GT2 RS. Yeah, that's easy to say when you get to run it for a couple of sessions as a guest. But it really wasn't just the speed. It was the way the car got off of corners, the way you could use the nearly same everything that the GT3 RS has differently and, in my opinion, a more fun matter. As I stated at the get go, I can see why some will still prefer the GT3 RS, but I'm converted for track use.
I can really appreciate that, either you have more fun or not, either you like it more or not.
That's all that matters and I take your impression seriously..
Old 04-30-2019, 11:45 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

I'll try to get that, as well as target temps for the tires, hot.
Many thanks!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey Samuel,

I have seen that diagram, also, and will call a contact at PCNA about this today.

Cheers!
ask them about regular old poor man GT3 too ;-)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

This is the best way to put it.

I've only had more fun on track in race cars, and even then, the GT2 RS is something truly special. That engine is a masterpiece of its own, but it's paired with a fabulous transmission, a truly dialed chassis, fabulous tires, and brakes up to an insane task (never experienced anything but a solid pedal). And the car did 80+ minutes that day, none of them easy. The tech they brought along was catching up on email.

As for tire pressures:
  • They targeted around 31psi hot front, 34psi hot rear per Jim Knowles, who was on hand from Michelin.
  • Jim also ran the left tires 1-2psi higher to combat uneven wear from RA's long right-handers.
That has always been a Porsche hallmark. They never overheat. At Weissach they told me it's the first thing they do, to stop the car, everything else comes second. Brake cooling always is the priority, the one thing they won't compromise, unlike other manufacturers that do brakes that are only good enough.

As for the tech doing nothing. That's also their trademark too. They are also famous for bringing minimal crew. You heard the story before from David and Randy about that time when they brought a 918 to Laguna Seca doing the head to head with a P1.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

I'll be Whoopsy's waterboy LOL LOL..

You're a track bully :-)

Always petitioning..
GT4CS is right now the only alternative to a GT3RS in my book.But I like the *** engine thing so much.
You know, I did let you pass.......................
Old 04-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

Porsche claims yet another production car track record with the GT2RS. Just amazing. Can anyone here come up with another street-car 911 that has remotely come close to setting this many production car track records and dominating like "King Kong?" Weissach for the win!

Quick Reply: Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS