Sponsored by:

Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:21 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Another interesting data point. What time of year? What temps, etc?
It was in September and from what I can remember, the weather was decent, but not too hot. I ran that same Cup car there for a few seasons and raced at RA a few times each year and could consistently run in the 2:15's-2:16's.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by SM#80
It was in September and from what I can remember, the weather was decent, but not too hot. I ran that same Cup car there for a few seasons and raced at RA a few times each year and could consistently run in the 2:15's-2:16's.
Sounds like weather might be similar (would be interesting to compare temp, humidity, tailwinds, headwinds, etc), but maybe more rubber on the track surface? Suspect you were on slicks too.

Someone mentioned GT2 RS CS. Yep...now that's a car built for Road America. Times on that will be mega should one show up with the right driver, and yet somehow less magical than a car with license plates. One of those odd laws of nature.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SM#80
FWIW, at the 2013 SCCA Runoffs at Road America, I qualified 4th in stock 2008 GT3 Cup car with a time of 2:15.3. Trent Hindman was fastest qualifying time in a Cup car at 2:14.4
Wow can't believe you got beat by Trent Hindman......who is that guy? Never heard of him! ;-)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:41 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Those minimum corner speeds show how much the tires are doing.
Just looking at my best lap, some of it my driving, but not all corners..I am sure I can go 4-6 seconds faster in my new car on R tires.
It will be a long drive again, but it needs to get done...
Lots of DEs as always this year at RA. I was hoping to get people to come to the PCA one over Memorial Day holiday (made a thread about it) but didn't get any takers.

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Downforce is proportional to the square of the speed, so you can calculate the downforce at any speed using this equation -

Downforce@v2 = Downforce@v1* (v2/v1)^2

*This won't work if the car has movable aero, or at very low speeds/high angle of attacks causing aero surfaces to stall below certain speeds, but not the case here.
But this formula doesn't take into account certain elements like wing surface area or angle, correct? Can you provide a sample calculation?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:42 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

^ Another interesting data point. What time of year? What temps, etc?

It would be very, very interesting to see what a 991.2 GT2 RS MR might pull at Road America (and other tracks) with a full factory effort including tire engineers, factory race techs, and current factory driver. The data points from the Sellers lap and Donohue laps are extremely positive.

Something to note with last week's test: It rained on Monday, washing the track, and then was windy/sunny on Tuesday. Temperatures were lovely on Wednesday...
SCCA Runoffs are always at the end of September and the Runoffs were the week of Sept. 19th in 2013. Here is the data for the weather that week for comparison: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=9&year=2013

So appears it was a little warmer during the runoffs than last week. For another reference when Sellers did his run it was at a David Murry Track Day the week of the PCA Club Race at Road America. I believe he did it on Wednesday or Thursday of that week, August 29th/30th. Highs were 70 and lows were 52 temperature wise with sunny conditions.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:57 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Sellers' run was on August 29 (I was there), and looking at the pictures and videos from that day on my phone it was almost 100% cloudy. What blue sky you could see was only the occasional sliver here and there.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:03 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Lots of DEs as always this year at RA. I was hoping to get people to come to the PCA one over Memorial Day holiday (made a thread about it) but didn't get any takers.

But this formula doesn't take into account certain elements like wing surface area or angle, correct? Can you provide a sample calculation?
No and as long as wing angle/surface area doesn't change between v1 and v2 (or the extreme case where the angle is so big the wing stalls between v1 and v2), you don't have to worry about it.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Here is a sample of Sebring Driver of Excellence "Trakcar" and how downforce plays into lap times.

He's pedaling a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 (the days are gone for these cars to be fully seen on track days), and his 991.1 GT3 RS. Both cars rated at 500Hp, the 997.2 GT3RS 4.0 was lighter.

At 120mph, entering Bishop's bend, the 997.2 GT3RS produces around 156# of downforce. At the same speed, the 991.1 GT3RS in max-aero produces around 321#. Fast forward to the 1:15 mark on both videos, and look at how relaxed and composed is the 991.1GT3RS taking that turn at more than 130mph.

On my low aero (compared to a 991 GT3 RS) 991 Turbo S and C7 Z06, I'm well under 120mph entering Bishop's bend, I hit the brakes hard on the Vette before committing to the turn, and I brake lightly in the 991 Turbo S. The Turbo S produces around 120# of downforce at 120mph (the new .2 GT3 only another 20# at this speed), and I can't carry anything over 120mph through Bishop's in the TurboS, and 116-117mph in the Z06. All cars on the same tires (Hoosier). The heavy Aero cars build this gap on the medium and high speed turns, and they can also brake later (which is the most shocking feature on modern F1 cars, not their power, but their braking thanks to big Aero).

...and big Aero is what makes the latest Viper ACR-E such a gem for DE Cup.

Big power is good, Big aero is better.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
SCCA Runoffs are always at the end of September and the Runoffs were the week of Sept. 19th in 2013. Here is the data for the weather that week for comparison: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=9&year=2013

So appears it was a little warmer during the runoffs than last week. For another reference when Sellers did his run it was at a David Murry Track Day the week of the PCA Club Race at Road America. I believe he did it on Wednesday or Thursday of that week, August 29th/30th. Highs were 70 and lows were 52 temperature wise with sunny conditions.
Would love to see more of your take on all this, but I think you're kinda busy just about now?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:22 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Great write up, Pete! I spy a 000 sticker on Mr. Donohue's helmet. Nice!

Old 04-30-2019, 05:30 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Wow can't believe you got beat by Trent Hindman......who is that guy? Never heard of him! ;-)
I had a lot of 2nd place finishes that season following him around. Very cool to see him take pole position at Sebring this past year.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

The 991 GT2 RS is a time-distance warper much like the 918, and on a distinctly different level than the 997 GT2 RS. I think this is part of what I found mesmerizing about the car. One more of its challenges. Something new, in a 911. And more fun and less clinical to me than a 918.
Bingo, that's what I hoped to hear. But it begs the ever elusive question: why is that? Chassis adjust-ability and rear wheel drive? An actual torque curve and the way the power rolls in? The chassis actually moving around due to a higher CG or polar moment?

Two cars that are similarly quick and yet the "better" one isn't as fun. It's a question that always fascinates because I suspect I'll never fully figure it out.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Chris Hall went flat full throttle through Bishops in my 2012 Carrera GTS... I have video somewhere of that....insane. I could never do it. I think he was entering around 115 exit 123ish....nuts in that car. I haven't done it either in my GT3 but i enter and breath off throttle 1/2 way and slowly back to full throttle by mid turn. Car can definitely go through full throttle.

TrakCar must be doing Bishops full throttle....he better be!!! lol

Originally Posted by A/S
Here is a sample of Sebring Driver of Excellence "Trakcar" and how downforce plays into lap times.

He's pedaling a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 (the days are gone for these cars to be fully seen on track days), and his 991.1 GT3 RS. Both cars rated at 500Hp, the 997.2 GT3RS 4.0 was lighter.

At 120mph, entering Bishop's bend, the 997.2 GT3RS produces around 156# of downforce. At the same speed, the 991.1 GT3RS in max-aero produces around 321#. Fast forward to the 1:15 mark on both videos, and look at how relaxed and composed is the 991.1GT3RS taking that turn at more than 130mph.

On my low aero (compared to a 991 GT3 RS) 991 Turbo S and C7 Z06, I'm well under 120mph entering Bishop's bend, I hit the brakes hard on the Vette before committing to the turn, and I brake lightly in the 991 Turbo S. The Turbo S produces around 120# of downforce at 120mph (the new .2 GT3 only another 20# at this speed), and I can't carry anything over 120mph through Bishop's in the TurboS, and 116-117mph in the Z06. All cars on the same tires (Hoosier). The heavy Aero cars build this gap on the medium and high speed turns, and they can also brake later (which is the most shocking feature on modern F1 cars, not their power, but their braking thanks to big Aero).

...and big Aero is what makes the latest Viper ACR-E such a gem for DE Cup.

Big power is good, Big aero is better.

https://youtu.be/XWzam4dPUDo

https://youtu.be/HiEA-9ugrWk
Old 04-30-2019, 07:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
Bingo, that's what I hoped to hear. But it begs the ever elusive question: why is that? Chassis adjust-ability and rear wheel drive? An actual torque curve and the way the power rolls in? The chassis actually moving around due to a higher CG or polar moment?

Two cars that are similarly quick and yet the "better" one isn't as fun. It's a question that always fascinates because I suspect I'll never fully figure it out.
The great Petevb...nice to see you chime in.

Not sure, entirely, and don't get me wrong: I had a lot of fun with the 918 on track. Leipzig was mind-bending but full of fear with the stakes (it was raining, and the brake pedal was noted as "funny feeling") and Valencia in the dry was truly mind-warping (a whole new mental challenge due to the power and traction, which effectively eliminated straights by comparison to anything I'd driven to that point, not to mention the insane stability of the thing at all speeds). Then came Laguna, which provided a measuring stick I knew for the 918, and I really didn't want to get out. The turn-in was eerily genius on the way into T2, and I found myself wishing for more laps. A lot more.

But…

But, I think the GT2 RS was more fun. "Challenge" is the word that comes to mind. In the GT2 RS, you feel like you are driving, even if the car is doing things for you. In the 918, you know you're in a spaceship that's interpreting everything. It might be as stupid as this: One has one drivetrain, with no interpretation or "power share" shifts at work. And then there's the chassis. Even as a "mid-engined guy" (who came up on 914s and loves Boxsters/Caymans, CGTs, etc), there's something magical about the light, free-wheeling nose of a 911...along with all that rear end traction under braking and out of a bend. It's the challenge-rhythm of the 911, and the GT2 RS has it...and goes faster than any 911 with a plate ever has. Sure, there are tuner cars, but I suspect even the best I've driven would be obliterated by the GT2 RS in a track environment…particularly as the laps accumulated. Just add fuel and distilled water.

Anyway, there's a first attempt at an answer. Feel free to poke holes in it. ;-)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Has anyone checked on Waxer?
Oh, I’m here. Just waiting for the dust to settle before I add my brilliance. 😎

Quick Reply: Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS