Sponsored by:

Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

BMW got around the law with a piece of foam zip tied onto their roll cage.

Porsche refused to do such a Mickey Mouse thing like BMW did. (straight quote from them, exact wording from Weissach).
Mickey Mouse my ****. BMW put the safety of their customers first. Porsche could learn from them.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:08 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Attached is a photo of the rollbar I’m referring to.

The US-approved anchor bar in the 600LT is just that, and does not have the integrated roll hoop as was offered as a factory installed option for the 675 (unapproved for US but approved in Canada). It would therefore appear, at least in 2016, that there were different safety regulations between the countries.

Thanks, never seen a full half cage here in Canada in my neck of the woods. Don't think anyone near here ordered one at all, the buyers weren't tracking them anyways, it's a C&C car for them. The 600LT harness bar however I have seen in person.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I can understand that from Porsche but I wish they left the mounting plates and points under the carpet on the body like the row cars have.
McLaren don't have roll bars. It's their 6 point anchor bar. Not just the 675LT, but the 600LT can also be ordered with such an item.

Somehow McLaren got their 6 point belt anchor bar certified for North America without padding, USA included.

BMW got around the law with a piece of foam zip tied onto their roll cage.

Porsche refused to do such a Mickey Mouse thing like BMW did. (straight quote from them, exact wording from Weissach).
Old 05-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I went over all that with AP at Goodwood, he pretended at least to be pained by the lack of willingness or ability by Porsche to do what others do so easily.
And even Ford sell “off-road performance” in a box.

Andy is sooooo diplomatic

But more like they don't want to get sued. Not after the CGT thingy.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:18 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks, never seen a full half cage here in Canada in my neck of the woods. Don't think anyone near here ordered one at all, the buyers weren't tracking them anyways, it's a C&C car for them. The 600LT harness bar however I have seen in person.
I have the 675LT half cage as per pic above, and so does my buddy in his 675LT that we both track. They are 2 of 3 675LTs in Canada ordered with clubsport pro pack that has the OEM Titanium half cage.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You really missed the mark here Waxer.
And we can all agree that the GT2RS is faster on any track, all the time, driver for driver, tire for tire.
Pete: Not sure where I missed the mark. Please enlighten me.
1. I conceded that all things equal the 2RS is faster....again all things equal. It should be with a 170hp and 140 lb/tq advantage. No big surprise there.
2. I pointed out and it was noted by others that it was a surprise the 3RS kept it as close as it did at RA which (a) favors high hp cars (b) is 1000ft above sea level draining at least 3-4% of the NA cars hp, the fact the 3RS did not have mag wheels which at full tilt does make a difference.
3. I pointed out the observation of others here that at DE the 3RS's have been seen to set the fastest lap of the day despite 2RS's being there and running.
4. Posted videos of the 3RS hanging with the 2RS at Spa at a DE in same run group. If you want to argue the 3RS driver was better, that's fine. That proves my point. If they were equal amature drivers that also proves my point that the maximum potential of the 3RS is more accessible to armatures. While Pete S. felt differently my bet is his driving skills are above most armatures as are yours (so you are disqualified. ).
5. On most other tracks the 3RS is within 1-2 seconds of the 2RS.
6. Those time differentials on most tracks is small enough that it can be made up by a mistake, slightly better driver or tires. See #4.
7. Other reviewers have noted the 3RS is easier to approach its limits for most. Not my opinion but my observation.
7. Price and power differential is disproportionate to the track time differentials it seems to me. Disclaimer-my opinion.
8. Measure of "potency" depends on what you are measuring. Sheer power, track performance all things being equal, ability of the average DE warrior to exact maximum performance, performance per dollar? What's the metric?

Just the facts Ma 'm. Just the facts. No bias (well maybe a little )

Last edited by Waxer; 05-01-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

g
Originally Posted by soulsea
Objective data not opinion.

"If that albatros hadn't farted ..."
Damn Soulsee. That's insulting. I knot bald and I no how to spell.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:20 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hex
Yes context matters and the context we’re discussing is not about the capabilities of drivers, either pro or amateur, it’s about the capabilities of the cars. And as far as that context goes the GT2RS is the most capable car as evidenced by its ultimate pace and subsequent track records around race tracks. I know you love your 3RS Waxer, and rightly so, but give the 2RS its due.
I conceded all things equal 2RS is faster. I only fight fights I can win. Yes. You win.
Now give the 3RS some love.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stout
Ugh. GR on gold wheels and no WP.

That car gets me every time.
Thank you Pete. I misinterpreted your statement.

We are fortunate to have your input here on the forum.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:32 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I conceded all things equal 2RS is faster. I only fight fights I can win. Yes. You win.
You have broken waxer's spirit ...

I hope you're all happy with yourselves.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:51 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkabba
I have the 675LT half cage as per pic above, and so does my buddy in his 675LT that we both track. They are 2 of 3 675LTs in Canada ordered with clubsport pro pack that has the OEM Titanium half cage.
Good stuff!

East coast?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Mickey Mouse my ****. BMW put the safety of their customers first. Porsche could learn from them.
this is off topic because I am curious. Is there evidence that a half cage in these street cars is safer than no cage? Under what circumstance?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 AM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Good stuff!

East coast?
Toronto. Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) is my home track, have you been? Super fast track.

Once it's a bit warmer and tires get a bit stickier will see which weapon a regular DE guy like myself is faster around this fast track between my GT2RS and my 675LT.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A GT2 is a blast to drive, the acceleration from corner to corner is rediculously fun. With my Cargraphic 997 GT2, down the long Mosport straight, I would drive by 99% of the cars and the GT3's looked as if they had let off. Carrying so much speed into the corners, the biggest challenge was depth perception, braking skills, and corner entry.. mid corner and corner exit was not a problem.

Although I turned pretty decent lap times, was I the fastest out there, no.. did I have fun, yes very much so.

I now have a 3RS.2, no question it will turn faster laps then that GT2, still would prefer the new GT2 RS, regardless of lap times vs. 3 RS. The acceleration, the thrill of driving a 700HP GT2 would be amazing.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by soulsea
You have broken waxer's spirit ...

I hope you're all happy with yourselves.
Nah..

Quick Reply: Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS