Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3RS failures

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 10:08 PM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 52 Posts

Remember two engines failed exactly the same way, the same two bearings.

No coincidence in my opinion.

nh
Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
We are often "un" privileged to see things we never want to see. We saw this back a few years when asked us to build a 991.1 hot rod. Opening the engine we saw the finger follower issue. Immediately the build was stopped as we had to solve this issue first. The solid conversion was completed and soon after Porsche kind of admitted to the failure by offering the extended warranty.

Then came the 991.2 engine projects. In the middle of the production of new parts we became aware of two engine failures, exactly the same failure, in the exact same position in the engine, which again has stalled the builds of the two 991.2 engines. We have now another serious issue to understand and fix before we continue.

New 991.2 blocks are very expensive and unavailable unless you have a ticket written up by a Porsche agency tech for an engine failure. They are not available through the Porsche parts system to "outsiders" like me. I wonder why this is??

So we have to do our own repair. Oversize bearing shells are not available either, so we found some that will work by narrowing the shell length and line boring the block. To say this issue is not serious, baffles me. We saw the same thing with the .1 engine issue. I think human nature plays games with us when confronted with things we don't want to believe. Why, because it may cost us a lot of money. We would rather believe it doesn't exist , so then hopefully it won't happen to me. Unfortunately, this is not the world I live in with respect to broken engines. I cannot disregard an issue and say, well its a 1 time thing so lets keep building hot rods.

The same customer who thinks its not serious and "I have never heard of any issues" would jump all over my *** if I built him or her an engine and the failure was to happen. I can hear them now, you should have done something if you knew.

"O" the world of an engine builder. My favorite saying is, "nothing will humble a man more than an engine or an angry wife". And so we continue to try to understand the failure, the cause and create a fix.

nh
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
Remember two engines failed exactly the same way, the same two bearings.

No coincidence in my opinion.

nh
It's good to push the envelope for the benefit of the community. We did it together on the 991.1 and Porsche got persnickety about what we found, here we are again my friend... The big engines are gonna be super fun but fixing the case flex is first...

jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 12-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 616 Posts

These cases are junk. They move all over the place. I just bought a new case for a customer whose block was cracked and we probed it. Bores and deck are all over the place. They run out of the box about .0007-.0008" total piston to cylinder clearance, but there were spots in the bore where there is negative clearance. That can't be good. Turn up the horsepower and we quickly find the weakest link as Neil has so kindly shared with us.

I can recall reading in the SAE magazine a few years back where Porsche was able to reduce the amount of aluminum they use by a few kilograms in these engine blocks. Now we are seeing the end result of these changes. Problem is these engines are engineered to last through the warranty period but what happens when you've tracked the car? Will they honor the warranty?

I can recall being at Tech Tactics in PA several years ago when the hydraulic followers on the 991.1 GT3RS engines were starting to fail. I spoke to several owners who had engines replaced and even one that had two engine replacements. However, I did speak to one guy who had been tracking his car hard and had no issues whatsoever. But he did state that the first thing he did was dump the Mobil 1 and put in a better oil and changed it after every track event. I know the DLC coating helps, but these components are operating in boundary layer lubrication, so oil quality makes a huge difference and added anti-wear additives or increased film strength goes a long way. That said, there is only so far coatings and lubricants can go if there is a manufacturing defect in the part or a design flaw.

Remember, back when API SL rated oils came out at the turn of the century we started seeing flat tappet cam engines lose lifters and camshaft lobes. Granted there were some junk lifters out there, but even high quality components were failed due to the reduction of ZDDP.
The following 5 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
997 GT2 (01-05-2021), DFI (04-02-2024), johnsopa (06-09-2023), pro1200 (12-04-2020), s4corrado996tt (01-06-2021)
Old 12-03-2020, 04:24 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
These cases are junk. They move all over the place. I just bought a new case for a customer whose block was cracked and we probed it. Bores and deck are all over the place. They run out of the box about .0007-.0008" total piston to cylinder clearance, but there were spots in the bore where there is negative clearance. That can't be good. Turn up the horsepower and we quickly find the weakest link as Neil has so kindly shared with us.

I can recall reading in the SAE magazine a few years back where Porsche was able to reduce the amount of aluminum they use by a few kilograms in these engine blocks. Now we are seeing the end result of these changes. Problem is these engines are engineered to last through the warranty period but what happens when you've tracked the car? Will they honor the warranty?

I can recall being at Tech Tactics in PA several years ago when the hydraulic followers on the 991.1 GT3RS engines were starting to fail. I spoke to several owners who had engines replaced and even one that had two engine replacements. However, I did speak to one guy who had been tracking his car hard and had no issues whatsoever. But he did state that the first thing he did was dump the Mobil 1 and put in a better oil and changed it after every track event. I know the DLC coating helps, but these components are operating in boundary layer lubrication, so oil quality makes a huge difference and added anti-wear additives or increased film strength goes a long way. That said, there is only so far coatings and lubricants can go if there is a manufacturing defect in the part or a design flaw.

Remember, back when API SL rated oils came out at the turn of the century we started seeing flat tappet cam engines lose lifters and camshaft lobes. Granted there were some junk lifters out there, but even high quality components were failed due to the reduction of ZDDP.
What oils do you recommend? Looking at the properties of Mobil 1, doesn't seem there's much out there that is significantly different (cold/hot viscosity, VI, HTHS Viscosity, etc)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:20 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,700 Likes on 944 Posts

Are we talking about only .1 engines or .2 as well?
Old 12-04-2020, 02:01 AM
sumbaco
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

taormina racing is making high quality engine blocks for 964's. said he was moving on to water cooled at some point. prob just meant mezgers, but who knows, the demand might be there for 991 blocks too.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:02 AM
sumbaco
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

taormina racing has a long thread about making the engine casings in the 964 forum. better castings, better precision for the machining too.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

Finger folowers - only .1
Bearings/block - only .2
Old 12-05-2020, 11:15 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
What oils do you recommend? Looking at the properties of Mobil 1, doesn't seem there's much out there that is significantly different (cold/hot viscosity, VI, HTHS Viscosity, etc)
Not to take away from the purpose of this thread, all A40 oils are going to have similar formulation as required to meet the A40 approval. They use a standard additive package at a specified blend rate. There is very little wiggle room on formulation. The only thing they can do it play around with viscosity as there are acceptable ranges for each advertised weight, so some oils are formulated at the bottom end of the spec for improved viscosity.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:27 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,700 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
Finger folowers - only .1
Bearings/block - only .2
What are the bearings made up of? I will change the oil soon and will send it to blackstone for analysis
Old 12-06-2020, 07:10 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you Charles! I now all use only 5W40 Motul 8100 X-cess engine oil! Thx a lot!
Old 01-05-2021, 04:33 PM
997 GT2
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
MOTUL 300V 15W-50 is my favorite in my 991 GT3 touring, 997 GT2, 993 RS and F-458 spider
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...ition-15w50--2

in my 928GTS i prefer the 300v 20W-60 LeMans Oil
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...-mans-20w60--2

just my 2 pence ;-) theses oils are top SPEED German Autobahn proof tested;-)

regards Klaus

Last edited by 997 GT2; 01-08-2021 at 03:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 997 GT2:
FogCitySF (01-05-2021), s4corrado996tt (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 02:05 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

997 GT2! May I ask will 15W~50 thicker oil would take a lot more time for engine oil temp to warm up since the gap between mechanical parts of newer modern engines are very small. Thx!

Last edited by s4corrado996tt; 01-06-2021 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:05 PM
997 GT2
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4corrado996tt
997 GT2! May I ask will 15W~50 thicker oil would take a lot more time for engine oil temp to warm up since the gap between mechanical parts of newer modern engines are very small. Thx!
NOT at All. ;-)
Warming Up the engine is absolute normal and it takes me about 10 miles, but i dont Drive my toys below Zero degree Celsius during Winter times.
Afaik the 300V COMPETIION MOTUL has the double wheight bearing capacity until the oil Film breaks down under pressure compared to the Castrol Edge Oil.
as an further Goodie i add also 1 Bottle CERATEC Additive distributed by LIQUI MOLY.
CERATEC is an Emulsion of hexagonal Boriumnitrid to the engine oil.
CERATEC
regards Klaus

Last edited by 997 GT2; 01-08-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:03 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 997 GT2
NOT at All.
Warming Up the engines is absolute normal and it takes me about 10 miles, but i dont Drive them below Zero degree Celsius during Winter times.
Afiak the 300V COMPETIION MOTUL has the double wheight bearing capacity until the oil Film breaks down compared to the Castrol Edge Oil.
as an further Goodie i add also 1 Bottle CERATEC Additive distributed Form LIQUI MOLY.
CERATEC is an Emulsion of hexagonal Boriumnitrid to the engine oil.
CERATEC
regards Klaus
Thx for your tip!

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3RS failures