991.1 GT3RS failures

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 09:05 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 533 Likes on 388 Posts

Same Freedom, accredited since 2016 and A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, only 25 complaints in the last 3 years (Highline Autos has over 3 times as many Freedom Warranty customers with 100% claims acceptance).

Look at the responses to the complaints by Freedom Warranty, you will see they are high milage vehicles with limited coverage. Not the same, Complete Manufactures Extensions level coverage policies we only provide to our customers. I have the same policy on my personal vehicle, 0 issues using the policy at the dealership.

That news article is in reference to an investment dispute and has has nothing to do with their extended warranty contracts or repair history.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 10-19-2022, 10:13 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Same Freedom, accredited since 2016 and A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, only 25 complaints in the last 3 years (Highline Autos has over 3 times as many Freedom Warranty customers with 100% claims acceptance).

Look at the responses to the complaints by Freedom Warranty, you will see they are high milage vehicles with limited coverage. Not the same, Complete Manufactures Extensions level coverage policies we only provide to our customers. I have the same policy on my personal vehicle, 0 issues using the policy at the dealership.

That news article is in reference to an investment dispute and has has nothing to do with their extended warranty contracts or repair history.
Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (10-19-2022)
Old 08-09-2024, 02:02 PM
mhm4223
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Porsche 991.1 engine issues

I currently own a 2016 GT3 RS 991.1 and I had the transmission replaced due to the common front seal leak and the dealer's inability to repair it without replacing the entire unit.
I also 3 engine failures:

1) Engine#1 lasted 18K miles before the engine failed. I had been servicing it at the dealer where I had it back 9 consecutive times within approximately 1K miles for a check engine light which they failed to repair.The engine finally failed resulting in a catastrophic engine failure.
2) Engine #2 lasted 244 miles before the oil pump drive gear bolt sheared off causing catastrophic failure and the engine seized due to lack of oil pressure
3) Engine #3 lasted 100m miles before I experienced a flashing check engine light due to a valve keeper breaking resulting in 2 rockers arms to release causing internal engine damage. The dealership sold me a $4K engine warranty when I picked it up after engine was installed to provide engine warranty coverage.. 4 days later I experienced the rocker arm issue. The dealership removed the engine assuming that PCNA would send a replacement engine. I was notified that PCNA was declining the warranty claiming customer abuse even though I NEVER exceeded the limits of the vehicle. Being an automatic PDK I can NOT miss a gear or over rev the engine so how they can claim abuse is beside me. I have files a law suit against the servicing dealer as well as PCNA under the consumer fraud act being they sold me a warranty good at any Porsche dealership in the US with no exclusions for using it at club track events and when I experienced a mechanical issue they declined warranty coverage.. I asked PCNA for the data to validate their claim and they refused to present me with any data or explanation as to why they were declining warranty coverage. It is absolutely unfathomable the way I have been treated after purchasing Porsche's flagship vehicle.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss further if you need any further information.
The following 2 users liked this post by mhm4223:
Booth9999 (08-19-2024), s4corrado996tt (08-13-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 10:39 AM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm4223
I currently own a 2016 GT3 RS 991.1 and I had the transmission replaced due to the common front seal leak and the dealer's inability to repair it without replacing the entire unit.
I also 3 engine failures:

1) Engine#1 lasted 18K miles before the engine failed. I had been servicing it at the dealer where I had it back 9 consecutive times within approximately 1K miles for a check engine light which they failed to repair.The engine finally failed resulting in a catastrophic engine failure.
2) Engine #2 lasted 244 miles before the oil pump drive gear bolt sheared off causing catastrophic failure and the engine seized due to lack of oil pressure
3) Engine #3 lasted 100m miles before I experienced a flashing check engine light due to a valve keeper breaking resulting in 2 rockers arms to release causing internal engine damage. The dealership sold me a $4K engine warranty when I picked it up after engine was installed to provide engine warranty coverage.. 4 days later I experienced the rocker arm issue. The dealership removed the engine assuming that PCNA would send a replacement engine. I was notified that PCNA was declining the warranty claiming customer abuse even though I NEVER exceeded the limits of the vehicle. Being an automatic PDK I can NOT miss a gear or over rev the engine so how they can claim abuse is beside me. I have files a law suit against the servicing dealer as well as PCNA under the consumer fraud act being they sold me a warranty good at any Porsche dealership in the US with no exclusions for using it at club track events and when I experienced a mechanical issue they declined warranty coverage.. I asked PCNA for the data to validate their claim and they refused to present me with any data or explanation as to why they were declining warranty coverage. It is absolutely unfathomable the way I have been treated after purchasing Porsche's flagship vehicle.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss further if you need any further information.
Not surprising - they are trying to squeeze you. Lawyer up. Unfortunately, it may take time to work itself out.
Old 08-14-2024, 07:22 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
These cases are junk. They move all over the place. I just bought a new case for a customer whose block was cracked and we probed it. Bores and deck are all over the place. They run out of the box about .0007-.0008" total piston to cylinder clearance, but there were spots in the bore where there is negative clearance. That can't be good. Turn up the horsepower and we quickly find the weakest link as Neil has so kindly shared with us.

I can recall reading in the SAE magazine a few years back where Porsche was able to reduce the amount of aluminum they use by a few kilograms in these engine blocks. Now we are seeing the end result of these changes. Problem is these engines are engineered to last through the warranty period but what happens when you've tracked the car? Will they honor the warranty?

I can recall being at Tech Tactics in PA several years ago when the hydraulic followers on the 991.1 GT3RS engines were starting to fail. I spoke to several owners who had engines replaced and even one that had two engine replacements. However, I did speak to one guy who had been tracking his car hard and had no issues whatsoever. But he did state that the first thing he did was dump the Mobil 1 and put in a better oil and changed it after every track event. I know the DLC coating helps, but these components are operating in boundary layer lubrication, so oil quality makes a huge difference and added anti-wear additives or increased film strength goes a long way. That said, there is only so far coatings and lubricants can go if there is a manufacturing defect in the part or a design flaw.

Remember, back when API SL rated oils came out at the turn of the century we started seeing flat tappet cam engines lose lifters and camshaft lobes. Granted there were some junk lifters out there, but even high quality components were failed due to the reduction of ZDDP.
What are your thoughts on the 991.2 GT3RS engines as far as longevity?
Old 08-14-2024, 11:06 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by dwe8922
What are your thoughts on the 991.2 GT3RS engines as far as longevity?
Honestly, I really haven't had a chance to interface with these newer cars much. I see basically what everyone else sees on the forums and various places on the internet. Cars are too new for people to call us about these problems :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
dwe8922 (08-14-2024), Indyxc (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 11:14 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Honestly, I really haven't had a chance to interface with these newer cars much. I see basically what everyone else sees on the forums and various places on the internet. Cars are too new for people to call us about these problems :-)
I suspect once the GT3 10 year warranty ends, there will be a business opportunity!
Old 08-15-2024, 11:17 AM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 52 Posts

We addressed the Finger Follower issues some years ago. Porsche then offered the warranty on the Fingers. This removed the need to change anything. However, now that the warranty periods are coming to an end, there is an option to change over to a "solid" valve motion. This remove's the Finger Follower problem but does require the Camshafts to be changed. This has also been completed. This is what was offered years ago before the warranty offer was made by Porsche. Currently there is another "solid" version in development that will be offered as parts only and will be available to any repair shop to undertake the conversion. It retains the factory Finger but gives the motion lash and an oil gap to remove the temperature created. It would be a good idea to have the existing fingers inspected for wear and replaced if necessary. Its a less expensive option.

The following 5 users liked this post by Neil Harvey:
Charles Navarro (08-15-2024), Dave's911 (08-16-2024), FL4T-SIX (08-15-2024), Indyxc (08-15-2024), konrad h1 (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 11:46 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
We addressed the Finger Follower issues some years ago. Porsche then offered the warranty on the Fingers. This removed the need to change anything. However, now that the warranty periods are coming to an end, there is an option to change over to a "solid" valve motion. This remove's the Finger Follower problem but does require the Camshafts to be changed. This has also been completed. This is what was offered years ago before the warranty offer was made by Porsche. Currently there is another "solid" version in development that will be offered as parts only and will be available to any repair shop to undertake the conversion. It retains the factory Finger but gives the motion lash and an oil gap to remove the temperature created. It would be a good idea to have the existing fingers inspected for wear and replaced if necessary. Its a less expensive option.
Neil props to this work. Your new solution, will it require any machining or just parts swap over? If only parts swap over? After,market cams or stock? This will be a game changer for the .1 platfom.

It sounds like your new solution address two root causes of finger follower wear. 1. It fixes the current hydrauilic collapse and subsquent impact between the cam / FF by going to solid lash? 2. Adds oiling to improve oil protection in the interface?

This will be a game changer for the .1 GT platform.

Thanks

Last edited by Indyxc; 08-15-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2024, 03:07 PM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 52 Posts

The parts shown are the updated solid motion parts that we suggest is done as it uses a new finger. However, it requires the Heads to be machined and the costs are very high as these parts are not inexpensive to make. And there are 24 pieces per engine. I think if someone wants to increase the engines displacement etc, it makes a lot of sense to go this route. With the cost of a replacement engine plus tax, the difference is not a lot more to do a complete engine modification.

The "new" solid parts coming are designed to "swap" out the factory parts with no machining required. It still retains the factory finger. Lash is done with a "under" shim. My only concern is the quality of the factory finger. We are considering offering an "XRay" service on these fingers. This will be outsourced. Shops can have this done as well. This will allow us to supply just the parts required and the car owner can go to any shop and have the work performed. It does require the cams to be recut for the solid motion. We have completed several designs, one with the same factory "spec". The others are designed for more air.

Trying to make this as simple as possible.

FYI, this is how the stock oiling is done to the fingers. Both fingers have oiling jets machined into them that directs the oil to the finger pad. The exhaust side of the head has jets that spray upwards to the finger assy. This is not very good as the oil does not go to where it is required. Just shoots everywhere. The Hydraulic pistons sit inside a bore in the head. The finger pivots off these. The Intake piston has an oil galley up through its center and the oil is sprayed out of the finger. The exhaust side piston has no oil galley up through its center, It relies only on the jets in the bottom side of the head. Either side has no lash or oil gap to allow the oil to remove the temp and lubricate the parts.

Going solid we can create a gap and adjust with different size lash pads. This is what the .2 and 992 have. Its what the 991 should have had.
The following 3 users liked this post by Neil Harvey:
Dave's911 (08-16-2024), Indyxc (08-15-2024), konrad h1 (08-15-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
The parts shown are the updated solid motion parts that we suggest is done as it uses a new finger. However, it requires the Heads to be machined and the costs are very high as these parts are not inexpensive to make. And there are 24 pieces per engine. I think if someone wants to increase the engines displacement etc, it makes a lot of sense to go this route. With the cost of a replacement engine plus tax, the difference is not a lot more to do a complete engine modification.

The "new" solid parts coming are designed to "swap" out the factory parts with no machining required. It still retains the factory finger. Lash is done with a "under" shim. My only concern is the quality of the factory finger. We are considering offering an "XRay" service on these fingers. This will be outsourced. Shops can have this done as well. This will allow us to supply just the parts required and the car owner can go to any shop and have the work performed. It does require the cams to be recut for the solid motion. We have completed several designs, one with the same factory "spec". The others are designed for more air.

Trying to make this as simple as possible.

FYI, this is how the stock oiling is done to the fingers. Both fingers have oiling jets machined into them that directs the oil to the finger pad. The exhaust side of the head has jets that spray upwards to the finger assy. This is not very good as the oil does not go to where it is required. Just shoots everywhere. The Hydraulic pistons sit inside a bore in the head. The finger pivots off these. The Intake piston has an oil galley up through its center and the oil is sprayed out of the finger. The exhaust side piston has no oil galley up through its center, It relies only on the jets in the bottom side of the head. Either side has no lash or oil gap to allow the oil to remove the temp and lubricate the parts.

Going solid we can create a gap and adjust with different size lash pads. This is what the .2 and 992 have. Its what the 991 should have had.
Thanks for sharing. Looking foward to seeing the finished product. Any idea when the first versions will be released?
Old 08-16-2024, 12:17 PM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

You propose machining the DLC coated cams and expect the result to work better than the factory solution?

Looking at the pictures shared of the G6, we can expect that the factory valve train will last until an engine rebuild makes sense anyway. Like 100k miles or so.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:22 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
You propose machining the DLC coated cams and expect the result to work better than the factory solution?

Looking at the pictures shared of the G6, we can expect that the factory valve train will last until an engine rebuild makes sense anyway. Like 100k miles or so.
DLC is a band-aid, hydraulic lifters have substantially more mass/force which is the fundamental cause of the FF wear failure. Going to a solid lifter resolves the root cause failure mechanism, it doesn't "band-aid" it. There's a reason Porsche ditched the hydraulic lifters after a half cycle to solid lifters. If DLC and extra oil was a true resolution, Porsche would have never ditched it after a single half cycle and invested all that NRE $$.
Old 08-18-2024, 08:57 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Airbag997
DLC is a band-aid, hydraulic lifters have substantially more mass/force which is the fundamental cause of the FF wear failure. Going to a solid lifter resolves the root cause failure mechanism, it doesn't "band-aid" it. There's a reason Porsche ditched the hydraulic lifters after a half cycle to solid lifters. If DLC and extra oil was a true resolution, Porsche would have never ditched it after a single half cycle and invested all that NRE $$.
DLC maybe a band aid in this case, but it's used in other automotive applications with solid lifters.
Old 08-19-2024, 06:06 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
The .1 engines don't have hydraulic lifters. They use hydaulic elements the alter the positions of the finger followers. The hydraulic elements don't add mass to the moving parts in the valvetrain. The design is for sure more compplex than the completely fixed version. And porsche can run other cam timings (efficiency) and save on the parts (less tight tolerances).

But thats not the question. The question is, are the proposed band aids with destroying the DLC coating of the cams are better than the factory solution. If we see a comparison of 2 engines with 100k miles on the dyno each, then we can judge ;D
The following users liked this post:
Flo89 (08-21-2024)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3RS failures