Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

My friend has his tranny replaced. .1rs
Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by James Powers
I ran into an issue last week with my .1 GT3-RS. I was driving my car and it went into "limp mode" and the engine light came on. I took my car down to my shop and they tried replacing the ignition coil to see if that would solve the problem. Nothing happened. Still threw the code. Then they tried replacing the spark plug. After that, they went out to test and see if the car would throw the '4th cylinder misfire code" sure enough they came back and it threw the code. They ended telling me that I needed to take it to my dealer because it was a warranty issue. I now have it at the dealer and I was told that the car needs a "new engine". They said that they noticed some damage to the camshaft but reinsured me the car will be getting a new engine. Fast forward 3 days later. I got a call from the dealer saying that Porsche is taking longer than usual to get back regarding the issue. I was then told that they weren't 100% sure what Porsche was going to do. Try and rebuild the camshaft??? I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue. I understand 991.1 GT3's had engine problems and that the customers got new engines along with 10yr/120K miles warranty. Appreciate the help!

Thanks
are you located in the US?

i am a part of a GT group and in the group there are about 25 plus .1 RS cars. To date two had an oil issue where the cars were consuming a lot more oil much quicker than supposed to. Both cars got their engines replaced.

One was recent like in the last 6 months the other like 12-24 months ago. Both cars now have no issues. I am sure if your car is under warranty and you are having an engine issue then Porsche will replace it for you.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 AM
jospay1
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello
I’m having problems with the camschaft also from cylinder 4,5,6! They

Cylinder 4-5-6

Camshaft unusual wear

are being replaced for the moment... I will let you know more when I have more news and pictures!
Old 04-25-2019, 01:34 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by inverterman
Just got word today that a friends 991.2 GT3RS engine failed today. Just over 500 miles the oil light came on during a simple freeway commute to work. Within seconds engine rattle. Hope to hear from the dealer tomorrow. Stay tuned
Let me try to guess, Oil catch-can failed.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by jospay1
Hello
I’m having problems with the camschaft also from cylinder 4,5,6! They

Cylinder 4-5-6

Camshaft unusual wear

are being replaced for the moment... I will let you know more when I have more news and pictures!
I know of someone else who had this same failure. Porsche just wanted to change the camshafts and followers, but what about all the wear debris generated and circulated through the engine. I'd push for a replacement new engine and be sure that Mobil 1 never gets put in there.

When we used to get new engines from Porsche (when they were available), we would drain the oil and put in break-in oil for the first 200-400 miles for initial run in.

These pictures looks just like cam and lifter failures we experienced in the early 2000s in pushrod Porsche (and VW) engines when oils were reformulated, increasing detergents and reducing ZDDP. Fancy coatings wouldn't fix the problem.

We too played around with DLC coatings and if the oil wasn't formulated with sufficient additives for the application or broken in properly, the parts would still wear and fail. I'd love to show the testing we did with different oils, coatings, and parts, but alas, I don't have pictures going back that far other than the few I was able to find on my backup drive.

We did end up having lifters made out of sintered silicon nitride (like the ceramic ***** used in the Retrofit's hybrid ceramic bearing) that eliminated wear entirely, regardless of oil used, but eventually we did determine it was the oil that was the problem. Went eventually went back to conventional lifters successfully when a proper break-in oil was used and full SAPS oil is used after break-in, as the company that made us the ceramic lifters went under and we had no choice but to figure this out. It was about 15 years ago and about the time Lake Speed Jr. from Joe Gibbs Racing contacted us, after seeing the results of our research and development.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:38 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Jospay1

Are the pics above from a 991.1 gt3 3.8 or from a gt3 rs 4.0?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I thought the .1 RS engine was simply a stroked version of the .1GT3 engine with only a few motorsports parts vs the .2 RS engine being a truly motorsports-derived engine?

Last edited by FogCitySF; 04-25-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

2016 GT3 heads and 2016 RS heads have all the same parts... 2016 GT3 has 10year warranty, 2016 RS has a reduced rev limiter, but no warranty...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 04-25-2019, 08:43 PM
garudatwo
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
I thought the .1 RS engine was simply a stroked version of the .1GT3 engine with only a few motorsports parts vs the .1 RS engine being a truly motorsports-derived engine?
IRRC it’s the same engine as the 2015 GT3R racecar
Old 04-26-2019, 04:20 AM
jospay1
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s996
Jospay1

Are the pics above from a 991.1 gt3 3.8 or from a gt3 rs 4.0?
991 GT3 RS
Old 04-26-2019, 05:17 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

I can not clearly see if the cams are allready the new DLC coated ones or the uncoated steel parts from the early G engines. One thing is clear now, at least all engines until G6 (mid 2016) are affected.
GT3 and GT3 RS engines are basically the same. Just stroked.

And yes, this engines ran in the GT3 R and are not more or less "raceengines" than the new ones. But raceengines have different load to deal with - this failure may not occur during a 24hrs race but in a daily driver with many warm-cold cycles and so on....
Old 04-26-2019, 06:38 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

991.1GT3 and .1RS are eventually same engines. Lower rev limiter will push RS problems further in time. Start saving money.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I know of someone else who had this same failure. Porsche just wanted to change the camshafts and followers, but what about all the wear debris generated and circulated through the engine. I'd push for a replacement new engine and be sure that Mobil 1 never gets put in there.

When we used to get new engines from Porsche (when they were available), we would drain the oil and put in break-in oil for the first 200-400 miles for initial run in.

These pictures looks just like cam and lifter failures we experienced in the early 2000s in pushrod Porsche (and VW) engines when oils were reformulated, increasing detergents and reducing ZDDP. Fancy coatings wouldn't fix the problem.

We too played around with DLC coatings and if the oil wasn't formulated with sufficient additives for the application or broken in properly, the parts would still wear and fail. I'd love to show the testing we did with different oils, coatings, and parts, but alas, I don't have pictures going back that far other than the few I was able to find on my backup drive.

We did end up having lifters made out of sintered silicon nitride (like the ceramic ***** used in the Retrofit's hybrid ceramic bearing) that eliminated wear entirely, regardless of oil used, but eventually we did determine it was the oil that was the problem. Went eventually went back to conventional lifters successfully when a proper break-in oil was used and full SAPS oil is used after break-in, as the company that made us the ceramic lifters went under and we had no choice but to figure this out. It was about 15 years ago and about the time Lake Speed Jr. from Joe Gibbs Racing contacted us, after seeing the results of our research and development.
Charles can you share with us what oil was used or what your findings on the oil to use in GT cars currently is?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:46 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by jospay1
991 GT3 RS
Assuming this is the original (revision 1) G series motor?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3RS failures