Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Name:  photo174.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  1.05 MB
Old 09-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,421 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
demand is a buyer regardless of what you do with it. Someone people want the car and just park it next to ten others, and drive it down the coast. I just think it’s their business what they do with it.
Sure, but when a flipper gets a car before me (6 new Porsches purchased in the last 7 years, 2 of them GT cars, all from the same dealer), I'll continue to be annoyed. I'm awaiting an RS allocation, and if it's offered, I won't pay ADM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Evilfrog
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
If legally allowed, I still think that PCNA should prohibit dealers from selling the new cars for above MSRP. That would reduce the tendency towards bubbles and ADMs in the pricing. Maybe the whole process needs more transparency also, but I think PAG and PCNA are motivated to keep us in the dark in order to maintain the impression of scarcity, which boosts sales, profits, and the reputation of the brand. "Better get in line to get your GT3/RS/GT4 now, because they're not making more, these cars are super awesome, and they're going to maintain or appreciate in value" … until they make more.

It's not that easy. Porsche can't really do much to force them to sell at MSRP. I'm not even sure if Porsche makes a profit on the GT cars directory. They are pretty small volume. More of a marketing tool than a profit driver. (Hey, we had a Marketing tool selling Marketing tools.)

Dodge tried with the Demon with limited success.

https://jalopnik.com/the-people-who-...e-l-1796270712

Btw, used Demons have sold around the $500,000 mark.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,421 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilfrog
It's not that easy. Porsche can't really do much to force them to sell at MSRP. I'm not even sure if Porsche makes a profit on the GT cars directory. They are pretty small volume. More of a marketing tool than a profit driver. (Hey, we had a Marketing tool selling Marketing tools.)

Dodge tried with the Demon with limited success.

https://jalopnik.com/the-people-who-...e-l-1796270712

Btw, used Demons have sold around the $500,000 mark.
Then not much we can do about ADM, we're all bidding against each other, and the highest bidders will win.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:48 PM
STG
Race Director

I'm not even sure if Porsche makes a profit on the GT cars directory. They are pretty small volume. More of a marketing tool than a profit driver.

Porsche makes a lot of $$ on all cars INCLUDING GT CARS!! GT cars overall sales volume is less because of less cars available
Old 09-18-2018, 03:49 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Then not much we can do about ADM, we're all bidding against each other, and the highest bidders will win.
Beats arm-wrestling or fist-fights.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,260 Posts

And of course the GT car allocations are used by Porsche as the proverbial "carrot" to leverage the sales of unwanted/discounted models at the dealer level.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price of a brand new good, ANY GOOD, should be determined by a manufacturer and that price should never be allowed to go up. Period.

Similar to how Apple stores can’t charge 50% ADMs and have wait lists and VIP programs for their gold watch owners to have the first iphone X or that Samsung cant do the same with their 4k TVs or even clothing, food, whatever you want to call it.

The only time open market makes sense if an individual party is the seller. If I am selling my house, market conditions and what I think it should go for will determine the price of the house. Same with selling your super rare 911R. You are more than welcome to sell it for 500k if market is willing to pay for it.

There is no reason why dealers should be allowed to do this. The car business in this country is no different than mafia 20 years ago. Every car dealer and the sleezeball attitude of car salesman are just disgusting.

This ADM stuff does not happen in a lot of countries as they have laws against this. The price of a good, how much it is worth, is determined by the company produces it. Dealers do no work, and abuse their position to make extra money. And on top of that NONE of that extra markup goes back to Porsche. What makes a dealer so special, because they facilitate this uber complex and super time consuming deal and go to some porsche website and type in some numbers to place the order?

You guys with the trees in your backyards with benjamins growing, you need to stop this. Only you can make a difference because you have infinite disposable income and you buy so many of their cars.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:55 PM
STG
Race Director

We'll see how fast it takes victims to be made whole. I have a feeling there will be some impatience with them in the near future, and the frustration will show on here.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
.... Dealers do no work, and abuse their position to make extra money. And on top of that NONE of that extra markup goes back to Porsche. What makes a dealer so special, because they facilitate this uber complex and super time consuming deal and go to some porsche website and type in some numbers to place the order?
Bro, I get what you are saying about the dealer.
But isnt Porsche enabling this behavior by allocating GT cars based on moving certain models that Porsche needs moved?

Old 09-18-2018, 04:04 PM
phojes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not that easy. Porsche can't really do much to force them to sell at MSRP.
Some sort of limited-term, lease-only program for GT cars could cut out the ADM nonsense. Make it no cost to the lessees for the first 2-3 years by which time the car is no longer the latest & greatest and nobody will want to bid up the prices or pay a mark-up.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:43 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Price of a brand new good, ANY GOOD, should be determined by a manufacturer and that price should never be allowed to go up. Period.

Similar to how Apple stores can’t charge 50% ADMs and have wait lists and VIP programs for their gold watch owners to have the first iphone X or that Samsung cant do the same with their 4k TVs or even clothing, food, whatever you want to call it.

The only time open market makes sense if an individual party is the seller. If I am selling my house, market conditions and what I think it should go for will determine the price of the house. Same with selling your super rare 911R. You are more than welcome to sell it for 500k if market is willing to pay for it.

There is no reason why dealers should be allowed to do this. The car business in this country is no different than mafia 20 years ago. Every car dealer and the sleezeball attitude of car salesman are just disgusting.

This ADM stuff does not happen in a lot of countries as they have laws against this. The price of a good, how much it is worth, is determined by the company produces it. Dealers do no work, and abuse their position to make extra money. And on top of that NONE of that extra markup goes back to Porsche. What makes a dealer so special, because they facilitate this uber complex and super time consuming deal and go to some porsche website and type in some numbers to place the order?

You guys with the trees in your backyards with benjamins growing, you need to stop this. Only you can make a difference because you have infinite disposable income and you buy so many of their cars.
I think you're bring a little delusional. Not going to happen.
About 15 years ago, I planned to meet a friend at a new James Bond movie. After both of us drove 30 minutes to get there, we found out that it was sold out. So after thinking about it for a few minutes, I found the nearest high school kids and offered them double the price they paid for their tickets. (I guess I risked $30 that the tickets weren't fraudulent). They were more than happy to sell me their tickets. Free market trade. Win-Win.
What you don't get is that the ADM paid by some of the wealthy individuals for a GT is movie ticket money to them. They want what they want, when they want it and are willing to pay what it takes to get it. That's not going away any time soon.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:48 PM
TeutonicCarFan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by phojes

Some sort of limited-term, lease-only program for GT cars could cut out the ADM nonsense. Make it no cost to the lessees for the first 2-3 years by which time the car is no longer the latest & greatest and nobody will want to bid up the prices or pay a mark-up.
But then the dealer will have used gt3 that they mark up. Walk in the door and want new gt3? First buy a used one then you are on the list for the next one. This is Ferrari 101 (at least during f430)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Guys ... US Franchise law dictates franchisors cannot dictate pricing to franchisees. US Porsche dealers are franchisees. They are not company owned stores, nor are they just retail dealers like Rolex. Different scenarios there.

Why are we polluting this thread with ADM's??

Only thing Porsche could do is penalize dealers they didn't think were acting nicely with less GT allocations.

Issue is, GT cars are a bonus program to dealers from PCNA, and PCNA actually see's little wrong with what's going on now.

There is no perfect system. It is what it is.

Only solution is make more cars. See Macan's selling for over MSRP?? No. Porsche wants to use the GT cars as an upper hand and won't make so many where dealers don't see them as a bonus.

Can we move on??
Old 09-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Douglas Jones
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
How about this "situation" in February 2018 ROY?? You're defending Shiraaz and Champion in this case!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...entid=1290833&

Attachment 1291457
My thoughts exactly🤣

Quick Reply: GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing