Sponsored by:

So many manual GT3's for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I was under the impression that it's the same gearbox. One difference is that the R could be had with a Lightweight Flywheel (and its redline is 500 rpm lower).

I am very happy with the MT in the .2 GT3. Actually, more than very happy
Correct, same gearbox in the 911R and GT3 with the exception of the lighter single-mass flywheel which came with the reinforced clutch vs. the heavier standard dual-mass flywheel in the GT3!! I believe most 911R owners checked the single-mass flywheel option and hence the difference in clutch feel vs. the .2 GT3 which have been reported. Gear ratios are the same however. I have no doubt that you are happy with the MT in the .2 GT3, and you have every reason to be, it's a great transmission, however there are differences between it and the single-mass flywheel in the 911R and quite a few who have driven the 911R think the lighter flywheel with the reinforced clutch has a better feel. Again, it is subjective!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

The fact that people are arguing about the merits of the manual gearbox in the .2 is ridiculous. This is precisely what leads to the frenzy of oh my god, I just got my car but I’m already on the list for the next car because it has a .0000001% better shift from first to second gear.

this is precisely why people are contemplating trading a brand new GT3 .2 for a .1 rs or vice cersa.

its just nuts and I’ve been caught up in it myself. Probably 5 people on this message board can extract the difference between any of the generations of cars let alone tell the difference between gearboxes.

inised to get so annoyed when someone would write just go out and drive but Christ- just go out and drive. Every pitcher is great!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Correct, same gearbox in the 911R and GT3 with the exception of the lighter single-mass flywheel which came with the reinforced clutch vs. the heavier standard dual-mass flywheel in the GT3!! I believe most 911R owners checked the single-mass flywheel option and hence the difference in clutch feel vs. the .2 GT3 which have been reported. Gear ratios are the same however. I have no doubt that you are happy with the MT in the .2 GT3, and you have every reason to be, it's a great transmission, however there are differences between it and the single-mass flywheel in the 911R and quite a few who have driven the 911R think the lighter flywheel with the reinforced clutch has a better feel. Again, it is subjective!
Never having driven a 911R, I'll take your word for it. But if the unavailability of the Lightweight Flywheel (and its improved feel) is the price I have to pay for having a higher performing engine that incorporates the new stiffer hollow crankshaft with central oiling, solid lifters, and 9,000 rpm redline with better reliability and ~25rwhp advantage over the .1 R/RS (according to those who dyno'd both) which was made available at a substantially lower price, I can live with that
Old 08-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious

I fully agree and the clutch is too light for my taste
When I got out of my GT4 and in to my .2(same day) I was disappointed with the lighter clutch. But -at about 500 miles I really started to like it . Now- with ~2200 miles I love the clutch. It allows me to be quicker with less effort and for some reason I find it matches up well with a quick high revving engine. I found the clutch for the GT4 matched up well with that engine and like what they have done to the clutch in the .2. I love driving the car with no shoes. It allows you to get a great feel for everything. With shoes it feels muted.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
The fact that people are arguing about the merits of the manual gearbox in the .2 is ridiculous. This is precisely what leads to the frenzy of oh my god, I just got my car but I’m already on the list for the next car because it has a .0000001% better shift from first to second gear.

this is precisely why people are contemplating trading a brand new GT3 .2 for a .1 rs or vice cersa.

its just nuts and I’ve been caught up in it myself. Probably 5 people on this message board can extract the difference between any of the generations of cars let alone tell the difference between gearboxes.

inised to get so annoyed when someone would write just go out and drive but Christ- just go out and drive. Every pitcher is great!
One of the best post on this topic ......it's a shame as the board is pretty terrible on what car is good and what's bad?? I bought my first GT car from the knowledge on this board which was very helpful, and went on a few drives with people I met here. Now it's my car is better than yours, and did you get a ceramic coating and full condom on a car that will not get driven. My cars has chips and dirt which can be seen if you look closely ..it's a freaking car have fun. If you don't ask what someones car cost everyone will be happy, and not think they were screwed. Go ask your co-worker that does what you do, and ask how much they make the same problem will exist the boss will now be the new Porsche dealer. Sometimes as people we know more than what we should, and you feel butt hurt. Perfect example now the new manual is not that good .....oh boy.

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-09-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
One of the best post on this topic ......it's a shame as the board is pretty terrible on what car is good and what's bad?? I bought my first GT car from the knowledge on this board which was very helpful, and went on a few drives with people I met here. Now it's my car is better than yours, and did you get a ceramic coating and full condom on a car that will not get driven. My cars has chips and dirt which can be seen if you look closely ..it's a freaking car have fun. If you don't ask what someones car cost everyone will be happy, and not think they were screwed. Go ask you co-worker that does what you do, and ask how much they make the same problem will exist the boss will now be the new Porsche dealer. Sometimes as people we know more than what we should, and you feel butt hurt. Perfect example now the new manual is not that good .....oh boy.
I hear you. Manual is not good, or it is the best. Same with PDK. Or color, seats, brakes, wheel color, etc. Step back for a minute and appreciate what you have. It is more than most, trust me. Go and enjoy what you have. It is pretty special.

Besides, we all know white GT3’s, with the PDK, PCCB’s, black wheels and 18 way seats are the best. Obviously. lol
Old 08-09-2018, 02:12 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
When I got out of my GT4 and in to my .2(same day) I was disappointed with the lighter clutch. But -at about 500 miles I really started to like it . Now- with ~2200 miles I love the clutch. It allows me to be quicker with less effort and for some reason I find it matches up well with a quick high revving engine. I found the clutch for the GT4 matched up well with that engine and like what they have done to the clutch in the .2. I love driving the car with no shoes. It allows you to get a great feel for everything. With shoes it feels muted.
I have a luxury problem - fortunately I am keeping my GT4 and GT3T.
When I drive them back to back, adapting to GT3T is really not easy for the first kilometer.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
I have a luxury problem - fortunately I am keeping my GT4 and GT3T.
When I drive them back to back, adapting to GT3T is really not easy for the first kilometer.
Don't push your left foot through the floor in the GT3T

My daily car has a stiff clutch and it takes a little adjustment going back and forth for me too.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:27 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+100

I didn't like the GT3 clutch at first, but that was mostly due to familiarity with the GT4. I always thought the GT4 clutch was too heavy and after 1000 miles in the GT3, I think the clutch is perfect. Way easier to drive around town and great feel when aggressive.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:46 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

I can see that. I think Porsche deliberately did the lighter clutch on the .2 GT3 to enhance driver’s shifting skill and promote faster shifting at high speeds (perhaps it even closes the gap vs pdk on the track better than a heavier clutch would?) I have a feeling that Porsche did plenty of testing between the two and they determined the lighter would be best for this car and performance, and that the lighter clutch was no accident. It’s weird at first, but perfect once we adjust to it. Of course, those that drive the car below 6k rpm around town might dislike it. But this car was not designed to be driven slow.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I wouldn't say that we are arguing about the merits of the manual gearbox in the .2, we are simply acknowledging the differences (albeit subtle) between the different gearboxes in various Porsches and how varying drivers FEEL about them. again the feel is subjective and will differ from one driver to another. This is actually a little technical discussion, as we are sharing facts about gearbox options in the 911R and how they differ from what is available in the .2 GT3. This is what makes us Porschephiles and not folks who can't tell the difference between a MT C2S, GTS, GT3T and 911R. To some, a Porsche is a Porsche, to us, we know and love dissecting and debating the differences. These debates are cool because Porsche AG sticks to an evolutionary approach to new models vs a revolutionary approach, so it takes some care to discern the changes from one model iteration or face-lift to another. This is Rennlist...

Originally Posted by GrantG
Never having driven a 911R, I'll take your word for it. But if the unavailability of the Lightweight Flywheel (and its improved feel) is the price I have to pay for having a higher performing engine that incorporates the new stiffer hollow crankshaft with central oiling, solid lifters, and 9,000 rpm redline with better reliability and ~25rwhp advantage over the .1 R/RS (according to those who dyno'd both) which was made available at a substantially lower price, I can live with that
I haven't driven a 911R either so my words are "anecdotal" and not from personal experience...enjoy your car, it's amazing, you are not compromising in the slightest.

Originally Posted by Maverick787
One of the best post on this topic ......it's a shame as the board is pretty terrible on what car is good and what's bad?? I bought my first GT car from the knowledge on this board which was very helpful, and went on a few drives with people I met here. Now it's my car is better than yours, and did you get a ceramic coating and full condom on a car that will not get driven. My cars has chips and dirt which can be seen if you look closely ..it's a freaking car have fun. If you don't ask what someones car cost everyone will be happy, and not think they were screwed. Go ask your co-worker that does what you do, and ask how much they make the same problem will exist the boss will now be the new Porsche dealer. Sometimes as people we know more than what we should, and you feel butt hurt. Perfect example now the new manual is not that good .....oh boy.
The board is far from terrible, or we wouldn't be on here as much as we are...or maybe we're just collectively into S&M! Anyhoo, there are track oriented threads, performance threads, maintenance threads, general experience threads, value threads or plain simple question threads. Some folks want to know how best to protect their cars and which coatings or PPF has worked best for others, others may want to know what a good money factor on a lease is and yet others may want to gauge the current market for GT cars as a prospective buyer! All of these threads have purpose. This is a simple thread about why there appear to be quite a few .2 MT GT3's on the market (given how desirable they were/are) and folks are simply chiming in. One angle being explored is that the .2's manual transmission may not be suited to nor liked by some buyers (not that the transmission itself is bad!!). As it appears from owner comments, the .2 6MT may simply need some getting used to. This discussion will probably help future and current .2 MT owners who may be having concerns/doubts about the manual transmission vs. other Porsche cars. Contrary to some beliefs, many of us actually do drive and enjoy our cars the way they were intended however we also like talking about / discussing them as well. The two are not mutually exclusive, at least not to me. No one is bashing the .2s MT, we are merely discussing its merits...
Old 08-09-2018, 02:53 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

I think the differences in the clutch and pedal feel between a GT4 and 991.2 GT3 are inconsequential. The drama on this thread is over blown in my opinion. I have driven my cars back-to-back and biggest difference for me is the heavier spring in the 991.2 shifter especially when going 4>5 shift v the GT4. When on track you have to make sure you get the shifter over into 5th and not let the spring guide it into 3rd.

The clutch on the GT4 and 991.2 GT3 is childs play when compared to my 996 GT3.
I sometimes think folks just like finding faults in things, but at least keeps the board active. You want crappy light clutch action drive a BMW M2.
Chet
Old 08-09-2018, 03:23 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 631 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by CME
I think the differences in the clutch and pedal feel between a GT4 and 991.2 GT3 are inconsequential. The drama on this thread is over blown in my opinion. I have driven my cars back-to-back and biggest difference for me is the heavier spring in the 991.2 shifter especially when going 4>5 shift v the GT4. When on track you have to make sure you get the shifter over into 5th and not let the spring guide it into 3rd.

The clutch on the GT4 and 991.2 GT3 is childs play when compared to my 996 GT3.
I sometimes think folks just like finding faults in things, but at least keeps the board active. You want crappy light clutch action drive a BMW M2.
Chet
I daily drive an M2 and find the clutch feel is almost identical to that of the .2 GT3 (similar lightness, similar increasing lightness as it approaches the floor, similar engagement point). Night and day different from GT4.

I pinged 2 other guys that own and track their GT4s and .2 GT3 and they felt the same way. Then I had another GT4 driver at Laguna Seca last weekend drive my GT3 and he instantly commented how crazy light the clutch was and had a hard time driving it smoothly right away.

So clearly there here are a lot of different opinions on feel around here.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:26 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

I daily drive an M2 and find the clutch feel is almost identical to that of the .2 GT3 (similar lightness, similar increasing lightness as it approaches the floor, similar engagement point). Night and day different from GT4.

I pinged 2 other guys that own and track their GT4s and .2 GT3 and they felt the same way. Then I had another GT4 driver at Laguna Seca last weekend drive my GT3 and he instantly commented how crazy light the clutch was and had a hard time driving it smoothly right away.

Interesting as I also have an M2 and have driven all my cars back to back. The GT4 and 991.2 GT3 are closer together in feel than the ultra light M2. If I had to rank them in weighting from 1 (light) to 10 (insane).....

996.2 GT3: 8
GT4: 6
991.2 GT3: 5
M2: 3

Chet
Old 08-09-2018, 03:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
You will acclimate quickly - just takes a little time for it to feel natural.

Quick Reply: So many manual GT3's for sale