Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:30 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,253 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by rave426
Entertaining. I can make a rap song with this thread.
Prove it
Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SMGT3
This whole thread is a joke. Martin can do whatever the f*ck he wants with his cars. Lose Money, make money, flipper, not a flipper, doesn't matter. It's his money and prerogative. Same thing for P Dealers. They are for "profit business", if you don't like it, then go buy something else. Other than that, go pound sand. The last time I checked, when anyone sells anything we all try to make some money. It's called "Capitalism", look it up.
Owning a "New or Classic" Porsche means we all have to play the game. Purists my ***, we all play the same game so stop pretending to be above it all. Move on and go drive.

Cheers.
Succinct
Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I visited the local McLaren dealer just for fun last night and the salesman said that disgruntled Porsche owners (and attempted owners) are a big part of their new customer acquisitions.
Oh no, not you Grant!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 12 Posts

I am surprised that one subplot has gone undetected (or just not discussed).

Shortly after joining the forum I called and talked to John at PNH. Since then I've talked to him a couple of times, exchanged emails, etc.. John is very professional, polite, knowledgeable, and responsive. He's also brilliant. He has taken a dealership bashing (John and PNH were not initially immune) Rennlister and turned him into a pompom waiving cheerleader. John's a modern day Dale Carnegie. I feel like I should have him come out and teach a sales seminar at my companies. John has leveraged his sponsorship at Rennlist and expanded his reach across the USA and beyond. I truly appreciate the initiative John has taken and the restraint he has shown when attacked online. I just think we should all take a moment and give John credit for doing his job so well. While I don't need to travel through several states to buy a GT car at MSRP, I would not hesitate to buy a car from John. Now if he could only find a sub 50K mile, one owner, all books and records, no stories 930, then I might have to fly out and see him.

It doesn't matter to me what the OP does. I believe in the free market system. Always have, always will.

I have really benefitted from the knowledge base here on Rennlist. It has also, as in the case of this thread, brought me tears of laughter. I just wish there was a Rennlist Sirius XM channel. Imagine having Mooty, Eduardo, CJ and a couple others as DJs. Somebody make this happen!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

^^ I did pick up on that because I do remember. Rennlist things. Can’t remember anything else but oh well.
They play the game well. Better than I managed perhaps with my dealer seemingly dropping the ball.
Car sales guys don’t go often for the long con the way John is. Respect for that.

Rennlist is seriously lacking upgrading cars, performance discussions and track threads and also the forum mechanicals blow, but thanks to the usual funny people the entertainment value is high.

Lately more in a value, ego train wreck threads kinda way, but hey I can’t look away from a good wreck
Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

It is amazing online PR and almost free marketing...the whole process is discussed displayed for all to read/see (details on the build, what options, CXX etc.). Car comes in, purchases and raves about the process. Takes great care of the car and doesn't use it much. Turn it back in for the next latest and greatest.

Both win, and win big.

This thread turned civil...everyone ok?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Capitalism can be messy, and no rule that outcomes will be ‘fair’. If no laws were broken, this all amounts to a game, and games usually have winners and losers. Winners are usually happy, may call the game ‘fair’, and tend to give more credit to skill and less credit to luck. Losers are often sad, and may be angry if they feel the game was unfair. Everyone can’t always win the Porsche GT allocation game.

Addendum: I got the 991.1 GT3 and GT4 from my dealer at MSRP, no problem. On dealer's list for .2 GT3 RS, and likely won't get one unless they make a bunch more. Not a flipper - GT3 has about 30K miles, GT4 about 10K, lots of track miles on both.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-09-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
We took the polar car in trade from a customer on a chalk turbo S.

Doubly ironic
Lol. If I had a polar 993, I might have ordered polar GT3 to match and polar is more blue that Rhodium so they are different. Sort of like the differences between RS green/signal/viper/pure which people spend hours agonizing over. Or me agonizing over the difference between leaf and auratium (I still think leaf is better).

I had a fleeting moment of thinking of getting a Grand Prix White GT3 to match my 993, but I decided that rather than lighting $12,830 on cash, I would light more than that on fire by getting Florida retiree pastel green.

BTW CJ I sent my SF friend to your dealer so, like I said, no criticism intended.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:11 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ I did pick up on that because I do remember. Rennlist things. Can’t remember anything else but oh well.
They play the game well. Better than I managed perhaps with my dealer seemingly dropping the ball.
Car sales guys don’t go often for the long con the way John is. Respect for that.

Rennlist is seriously lacking upgrading cars, performance discussions and track threads and also the forum mechanicals blow, but thanks to the usual funny people the entertainment value is high.

Lately more in a value, ego train wreck threads kinda way, but hey I can’t look away from a good wreck
Hahaha! Yes, it’s like watching a speeded up version of an old barn collapsing in a field! Weird, yet somehow fascinating that the whole structure collapses so slowly!

Martin, Martin, Martin. What an interesting dude- I regret not having met you in person! He first appeared on Rennlist by buying my friend Lar’s 997.2 GT3 RS, and then bragging about winning all these DE’s- I was like who is this Tommy Trojan USC guy, is he really that fast??? Then, shortly there after he goes on a rant for what seems like several years complaining about stealers and how he can’t get an RS at MSRP- with the worlds most irratating ‘shut up and take my money’ avatar . Then finally buys one at a premium- because I guess he couldn’t stand it anymore or maybe fell on some extra real estate money. Promptly sets up a shell corporation in Montana, goes on a buying spree buying all manner of Porsches, some for the track, some to hold, some that he flipped. Talk about winning DE’s died down, but now he seems connected and is getting a stream of cars in at MSRP- avatar is changed for one with his racecar. Most recently he gets an allocation for a GT3, PTS goes through like greased lightning (I’m still waiting having got my allocation 4 months before him), and now it’s for sale. Wow, you are living your best life right here on Rennlist!

Entertaining as F***- thanks for the fun memories Martin!

Edit: Wow, that just came out of me like sh*t through a goose. I meant to say that this is all very entertaining and would make a great podcast on Spike’s Car radio with Martin the topic for the whole hour!

Old 08-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

^^^^ He is fast at the DE game :-) Near Clubsport fast in his GT4 on street tires.

But for some, this is all a game. It's about figuring out the strategy to "win" (you define win). Some choose to play it, and play to win. Others, like me, Trakcar, well, we don't really care that much. I get to play real live winning all day long at work, and well, for me these cars are a hobby, for fun.
That and the new sh~t just doesn't give me the tingle that the old stuff does...
Old 08-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I can confirm that.
Ditto. And after my last track day with the 570S, yeah, can see why.
Had a PM or two with Martin a few years ago, got no issues.
Note to self. Some things are better left not saying on the intertubes.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Name:  photo768.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  238.1 KB

Name:  photo672.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  247.5 KB

Name:  photo218.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  71.8 KB

Last edited by STG; 08-09-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ I get that.

Martin bet on the right dealer. I thought I did also.
I gave my dealer a deposit in 2007 and bought all my new cars from them at MSRP.
I have a piece of paper that says I get first non VIP allocation GT2RS or GT3RS from 2015 when I again let my deposit ride.

Now they claim not to have allocations. But GT2RS is sitting in the showroom?
Sales guy does nothing but bitch and stopped replying, never got the “you get the next one” words, so I can take a hint.
Im pretty sure I will get one next year as the big quantities arrive, perhaps from other friendly dealers but if my dealer refunds the deposit, its probably easier to start over with a different brand, than it is to start all over building up a relation with local Porsche dealers.

This is exactly my story. I hate to say it, but there may be a big cliff for sales with Porsche with their tactics.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

The new McLarens are still not track worthy on fast track and hot climates as far as I can read up.
Lots of HP loss heat soak, front tires seem to give up too soon and maybe some crazy pad wear rear due to no diff.

Not that I fit in the cars, but I would love to hear more first hand track experiences.
We have seen a handful at Sebring but they all went home in limp mode or flat bed unless they drive 6/10th.

Due to the insane mandatory windows down rule of the local organizers, it’s crazy hot to folllow one with the exhausts blasting heat over my hood and into the car LOL. I’ve rented Sebring for a day just to be able to drive windows up, AC on. I should invite more McLarens.

The Mustang 350R seems to hold up for all the guys I know with one.
Its fun to drive on track and on the street.

AMG GTR is getting pretty convincing that it holds up on track after the initial quality issues were sorted out.

BMW M2? I dunno haven’t looked at BMW in 15 years.
What else is our option?
Probably a GT3 or GT4 but then no ED, might be cheaper to leave a track car at the house 2 hours from spa / Zandvoort and 3 hours from the Ring and skip the new car ED thing.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

The new McLarens are still not track worthy on fast track and hot climates as far as I can read up.
Lots of HP loss heat soak, front tires seem to give up too soon and maybe some crazy pad wear rear due to no diff.

Not that I fit in the cars, but I would love to hear more first hand track experiences.
We have seen a handful at Sebring but they all went home in limp mode or flat bed unless they drive 6/10th.

Due to the insane mandatory windows down rule of the local organizers, it’s crazy hot to folllow one with the exhausts blasting heat over my hood and into the car LOL. I’ve rented Sebring for a day just to be able to drive windows up, AC on. I should invite more McLarens.

The Mustang 350R seems to hold up for all the guys I know with one.
Its fun to drive on track and on the street.

AMG GTR is getting pretty convincing that it holds up on track after the initial quality issues were sorted out.

BMW M2? I dunno haven’t looked at BMW in 15 years.
What else is our option?
Probably a GT3 or GT4 but then no ED, might be cheaper to leave a track car at the house 2 hours from spa / Zandvoort and 3 hours from the Ring and skip the new car ED thing.

Because of the extended engine warranty, I think the best option for a 'fast enough' streetable track car may be a lightly used 991.1 GT3. I plan to track mine for the full 10 years.

GT4 with a few mods to make it better for the track is good too.

If the AMG GT-R is trackworthy, a lightly used one could be a good option too (not sure what the depreciation on those is).

Big car like the 350R just doesn't appeal to me.

M2 is probably not fast enough, and not sure how trackworthy it is.

I haven't yet heard of a McLaren that has proven itself with routine track duty.

Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3