Sponsored by:

Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:51 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
… but again, cars do more than sit on your wrist, look pretty, and tell you the time. Some cars are actually better for driving in snow, hauling things, transporting family, driving on track, driving in comfort, reducing fuel consumption, etc. Lots of advanced engineering goes into cars, whereas mechanical watches are basically antiquarian throwbacks. IMO, the analogy between cars and watches fails pretty badly.
I don't want to beat a dead horse but this is wrong on so many levels.

At the end of the day all cars do is provide transportation. All watches do is tell time.

But if you want to appreciate engineering of a car, then appreciate what it takes to make a Tourbillion. Appreciate what it takes to make a perpetual calendar which through mechanics alone can automatically adjust the date every month taking into account months that have 30 days and 31 days including 28 days for February and yes, even leap years.

You don't appreciate fine watches and wouldn't spend money on them. Thats your right and nothing wrong with that. But project your values on others because just as you think its foolish to spend money on a watch, plenty of people think its foolish to waste money on any car other than a Honda.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
This is where we spend money on things we value. You have no issue spending six figures on a car but 5k on a watch seems excessive.

Nothing wrong with this at all but there is probably some dude with a 5270 Patek driving a BMW 5 series thinking why would I spend anymore on a car?

To each his own.
I agree 100 percent.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 PM
ethan1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
tgibrit,

Great article!
$90K profit per F-car is staggering.
Interesting to see 2nd place P-car @ $17K.
Too bad Lambo doesn't make its financials public.
But F-car values drop like a hammer.
Case in point, a 3-year old 458 coupe with let's say MSRP $300K.
It drops $100K in value (wholesale) in just 36 months.

>>> 2015 FERRARI 458 ITALIA 2D COUPE
>>> 08/01/18 $195,000 6,894 4.5 8G/A BLACK LEASE NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA
>>> 07/26/18 $200,000 3,689 4.8 8G/A WHITE REGULAR SOUTHEAST PALM BEACH

Ex:

Old 08-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ethan1
tgibrit,

Great article!

Ex:

ah yes- 100k deprecation in 3 years.

And worth every damn penny!
Old 08-17-2018, 04:09 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ethan1
tgibrit,

Great article!

Ex:
thanks, it was interesting which companies make money and lose money, I knew Tesla was bleeding money but I was surprised by how much Bentley lose per vehicle especially now that they are owned by VW.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:26 PM
ethan1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep like the Ferrari's of the consulting world (McKinsey, Booz Allen, BCG) vs. all other firms (Accenture, Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, etc.)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,506 Likes on 2,564 Posts

At the end of the day all cars do is provide transportation. All watches do is tell time.
Disclosure: This thread made me wear the Rolex today.

Cars are only transportation if that's all you use them for - in which case, no need to spend more for a Porsche. But cars can also provide dynamic driving experiences, in which case they're more than just transportation, and going around in loops on tracks certainly has nothing to do with transportation. Do you drive on track? No Toyota is as good on track as any Porsche, there's an objective performance difference, not to mention a subjective difference that pretty much everyone would agree favors Porsches.

Functionally, all watches do is tell time, date, stopwatch, etc. Cheap watches can do that fully as well as expensive ones. Beyond those functions, the value of watches is in their artistry, heritage, miniaturized mechanical design and construction, symbolism, status indication, etc. Aside from a few little things visibly moving around, watches are basically static objects and can only provide experiences based on how we respond in our minds to owning and wearing them.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:43 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 538 Posts

As an affluent Wiccan it is of vital importance that I wear a mechanical perp so that I stylishly know moon phases at all times.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Disclosure: This thread made me wear the Rolex today.

Cars are only transportation if that's all you use them for - in which case, no need to spend more for a Porsche. But cars can also provide dynamic driving experiences, in which case they're more than just transportation, and going around in loops on tracks certainly has nothing to do with transportation. Do you drive on track? No Toyota is as good on track as any Porsche, there's an objective performance difference, not to mention a subjective difference that pretty much everyone would agree favors Porsches.

Functionally, all watches do is tell time, date, stopwatch, etc. Cheap watches can do that fully as well as expensive ones. Beyond those functions, the value of watches is in their artistry, heritage, miniaturized mechanical design and construction, symbolism, status indication, etc. Aside from a few little things visibly moving around, watches are basically static objects and can only provide experiences based on how we respond in our minds to owning and wearing them.

I can take a Toyota on a track. Whether its as good as a Porsche, I would bet there are plenty of Toyota fans that have modded out Toyotas that beg to differ with your statement.

Im really having a hard time believing that you are arguing that one inanimate luxury object can be justified for its cost while another cannot. You are biased in that you like cars and don't like watches. You don't see the value of spending money on an expensive watch and that is completely your right. But why cant you see that just as you value cars, there are plenty that will value a watch over a car finding extra horsepower, going on a track frivolous and a waste of money.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I happen to like both watches and cars. But I can also admit that these are both discretionary purchases and at the end of the day a complete waste of money.

Just acknowledge that we all have our passions and will find money to spend on those passions no matter what the cost. Your passion of Porsches is no more valid than someone else passion of whatever they choose to spend their money on.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I can take a Toyota on a track. Whether its as good as a Porsche, I would bet there are plenty of Toyota fans that have modded out Toyotas that beg to differ with your statement.

Im really having a hard time believing that you are arguing that one inanimate luxury object can be justified for its cost while another cannot. You are biased in that you like cars and don't like watches. You don't see the value of spending money on an expensive watch and that is completely your right. But why cant you see that just as you value cars, there are plenty that will value a watch over a car finding extra horsepower, going on a track frivolous and a waste of money.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I happen to like both watches and cars. But I can also admit that these are both discretionary purchases and at the end of the day a complete waste of money.

Just acknowledge that we all have our passions and will find money to spend on those passions no matter what the cost. Your passion of Porsches is no more valid than someone else passion of whatever they choose to spend their money on.
I've pretty much never seen Toyotas at the track.

For me, Porsches aren't luxury items, they're tools to provide driving experiences on road and track.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

For me, Porsches aren't luxury items, they're tools to provide driving experiences on road and track.

Yes, a 150k tool that is absolutely necessary. Its not a luxury item. its mandatory to have.

I have a headache.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Yes, a 150k tool that is absolutely necessary. Its not a luxury item. its mandatory to have.

I have a headache.
You didn't answer my question: do you drive on track? Please tell me which cars deliver better bang for the buck on track at the GT3 price point.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I think the issue here is whether or not you think of a car as an investment vehicle (no pun intended) or a driving tool. If you care about investing, sell and take your profits (same principles used in the stock market); however, if you care about driving, then hold onto it as long as financially possible and drive the hell out of it.

Last edited by Sunny_M3; 08-17-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

You didn't answer my question: do you drive on track?
first of all I don't recall you asking that question.

Second of all, I have limited time on the track.

Third of all, its irrelevant. You have every right to spend your money freely on whatever you choose. Why do you judge others for spending their money on things they value?

Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
I think the issue here is whether or not you think of a car as an investment vehicle (no pun intended) or a driving tool. If you care about investing, sell and take your profits (same principles used in the stock market); however, if you care about driving, then hold onto it as long as finically possible and drive the hell out of it.
I don't disagree with that at all. I don't think anyone is saying anything else.

Watches are as much of an investment as cars. Very few actually appreciate in value. Most you buy and are worth 1/2 what you paid for them the moment you put them on. For me, doesn't matter, I wear my watches. My 5524, one of the more difficult pieces to get, and one that actually sells for more on the secondary market is my daily wear. I could stick it in a safe and hope it goes up in value but I bought it to wear it.

Same with my 5522. Paid 20 and they are selling for like 50k on the secondary market. I wear mine regularly. they are not investment pieces.

Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3