Sponsored by:

Wheel Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:14 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Refinished wheels rarely match and never match long term. It may look “perfect” but over time it will fade at a different rate than a factory painted wheel and will become obvious. Just like repaints on cars.

I would touch it up or replace, but I would lean heavily toward a quick touch up to get it 99% perfect as even one new wheel may be a different paint batch than the other three.

The most cost effective way if you are going to replace is to sell your full set (disclosing the nick) and order a full set from suncoast. People looking for track wheels won’t care about the nick and the sale value of a near new set of wheels is high.
I'm leaning toward a touch up as well. I don't think Suncoast sells the satin black wheels. Just the gloss ones. There are only two of the satin black wheels in the country at the moment. They are hard to find apparently.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:14 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Try giving this guy a call, he does mobile wheel repairs at your home.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/1dhFUsm1ZN
Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I'm leaning toward a touch up as well. I don't think Suncoast sells the satin black wheels. Just the gloss ones. There are only two of the satin black wheels in the country at the moment. They are hard to find apparently.
‘indeed all you need is a touch up. Don’t strip your entire wheel. I had my wheel on 991.1 GT3 scratched up from a metal piece that hit it while driving. Took it a reputable wheel shop in our area which also who the Porsche dealership uses when they fix a wheel, and I watched them while they mixed the paint and sanded the affected area then air brushed it. It took about 45 minutes and when paint dried up, I really could not tell where the damage was. They asked me not to wash the car for 48 hrs. That was 4 years ago, and the wheel still looked great when I sold my car last year. Just pick a good wheel repair shop. Most if not all Porsche dealership have a local wheel repair shop they use, and if you have a good relationship with the service manager he probably shares the name with you. Good luck. Mark
Old 06-25-2018, 09:15 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

I recently went through the same scenario with my ACR with a lowly Dodge dealership. They damaged a wheel while installing a tire. They wanted to try fixing, and I made them assure me if it wasn't perfect, they would buy a new wheel. I felt that I dropped them a near perfect wheel and I should receive one in return. Their wheel repair contractor powder coated the wheel, which didn't match the factory painted finish, specifically the sheen. They eventually made it right with a new wheel (not inexpensive).

All that being said, I did have a 997 TT wheel repaired, and it was essentially indistinguishable from the other wheels. Just depends on the repair company.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Finding a reputable shop is the tricky part. So far all the ones I've been recommended by either dealerships or Porsche owners, have mixed reviews. Some good, some nightmarish. I'll talk to the place who damaged the wheel and see if they will agree (in writing) to pay for a touch up. And if it doesn't come out perfect, a new wheel is in order.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Reputation does not get much better than these guys. I've dealt with them for years and so have countless others
Attached Images  

Last edited by orthojoe; 06-25-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Reputation does not get much better than these guys. I dealt with them for years and so have countless others
Will look into them, thank you.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:44 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Shop agreed to this game plan (in writing):
Will find a shop to do a touch up. If I'm not happy with how it turns out, they will buy a new wheel. I will give them the damaged wheel and they can do whatever they want with it, like sell it to someone as a spare.

Also, in case anybody is wondering about buying a new GT3 wheel, I called Suncoast. They typically do NOT carry the satin black wheels. They can get one, but it is more expensive (per wheel) than buying a full set of four. Three to five week turnaround from Germany.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Shop agreed to this game plan (in writing):
Will find a shop to do a touch up. If I'm not happy with how it turns out, they will buy a new wheel. I will give them the damaged wheel and they can do whatever they want with it, like sell it to someone as a spare.

Also, in case anybody is wondering about buying a new GT3 wheel, I called Suncoast. They typically do NOT carry the satin black wheels. They can get one, but it is more expensive (per wheel) than buying a full set of four. Three to five week turnaround from Germany.
Call Sunset
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/
Old 06-27-2018, 04:06 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd say you want to speak to the repair guy and have some confidence he will do a good job, then consider discussing what will be done if you're not satisfied with the repair. I get you not wanting a blemish on your new car. The other question to ask yourself what would you do if you had damaged the wheel ? Replace or repair, I'd definitely suggest local repair so the colour is not an issue, it's just how invisible will it be
Old 06-27-2018, 04:56 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

So I've called the shops mentioned in this thread, and a few others. None of them will do painted wheel repair, only powder coat; even for just a touch up. I've tried a few body shops as well and they will not touch wheels. The reason I've been given is it's an OSHA thing. And all the shops are swearing up and down the stock wheels are powder coated, not painted. I called a few Porsche dealerships and none of them can confirm whether the stock wheels are painted or not. "I don't know" is the answer I get haha.

Sunset Porsche is definitely cheaper for a new wheel over Suncoast, which is cheaper than a dealership.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:11 PM
mikex25

So I've called the shops mentioned in this thread, and a few others. None of them will do painted wheel repair, only powder coat; even for just a touch up. I've tried a few body shops as well and they will not touch wheels. The reason I've been given is it's an OSHA thing. And all the shops are swearing up and down the stock wheels are powder coated, not painted. I called a few Porsche dealerships and none of them can confirm whether the stock wheels are painted or not. "I don't know" is the answer I get haha.

Sunset Porsche is definitely cheaper for a new wheel over Suncoast, which is cheaper than a dealership.
curb side wheel repair can’t do it? I had satin black wheels touched up by them before.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:30 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikex25

curb side wheel repair can’t do it? I had satin black wheels touched up by them before.
Just spoke with them. He's going to look into finding some paint that might match. This is the place right? https://www.yelp.com/biz/curbside-wheel-repair-san-jose
Old 06-27-2018, 05:31 PM
mikex25

Just spoke with them. He's going to look into finding some paint that might match.
I would be surprised if he can’t, black is usually an easier color to match.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:33 PM
mikex25

Just spoke with them. He's going to look into finding some paint that might match. BTW, didn't sound like he's ever done touch up repair on a satin black Porsche wheel before... What is the actual name/location of the shop you dealt with? There are a lot of wheel repair places with similar names.
i used him for an aftermarket satin black wheel. You can see the pictures on his Yelp page, he has done satin black wheels.

Quick Reply: Wheel Repair?