Sponsored by:

Wheel Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:30 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Talk to Rite Way wheel in Walnut Creek. They are the defacto wheel repair shop in the Bay Area
Thank you!

Originally Posted by STG
Try a repair first ... these dealerships all have mobile wheel repair guys they use. Easier than a wheel swap and mounting, etc. This kind of mark can happen just from mounting a tire with those machines.

I've also seen other guys painting car panels behind dealers right in the lot!
I called all the local dealers. They do not have mobile wheel repair guys. They each told me what shops they use for wheel repair and I called them. Nobody I've talked to will do a spot touch up. They all want to repaint the entire wheel (they say powder coat, btw).
Old 06-21-2018, 11:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Thank you!I called all the local dealers. They do not have mobile wheel repair guys. They each told me what shops they use for wheel repair and I called them. Nobody I've talked to will do a spot touch up. They all want to repaint the entire wheel (they say powder coat, btw).

Well, a good case for a NEW wheel

If it entails refinishing the whole wheel in a method (powder coat) vs OEM painting, I'd want a NEW wheel. Go through ALL that and not have an exact match, which it will never be most likely. The sheen could be just a tad off, etc. Plus you're out of commission for days with a wheel refinish. New wheel is an in/out in an hour.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no such thing as Perfection, only the illusion of perfection........
This helps me when my OCD becomes unrealistic. Remember, you create your own reality. What reality do you want to live in :-)
Old 06-21-2018, 11:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Perfectly written.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:59 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcipseric
This helps me when my OCD becomes unrealistic. Remember, you create your own reality. What reality do you want to live in :-)

Understood .... But .. If someone else damages your property that's another story. Can't say, dude chill out and don't let your OCD bother you because I messed up your wheel

Not like it's an unavoidable rock chip ..
Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 554 Posts

Plus One, new wheel is in order.......show the shop this thread as it supports....
Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
Understood .... But .. If someone else damages your property that's another story. Can't say, dude chill out and don't let your OCD bother you because I messed up your wheel

Not like it's an unavoidable rock chip ..
Right. If I caused the chip, I'd kick myself for a minute and then move on. But that's not what happened. This place is a PPF installer. The irony is the very people I paid to help protect against chips, who claim to be OCD about detailing, are the ones who chipped the wheel lol.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 PM
STG
Race Director

Right. If I caused the chip, I'd kick myself for a minute and then move on. But that's not what happened. This place is a PPF installer. The irony is the very people I paid to help protect against chips, who claim to be OCD about detailing, are the ones who chipped the wheel lol.

Even worse. I'm just wondering how this happened? There's no way a tool dropped and did this? Were they trying to put it on a lift and the wheel rubbed against something? The marks look like the wheel was turning and rubbed up against something.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
Even worse. I'm just wondering how this happened? There's no way a tool dropped and did this? Were they trying to put it on a lift and the wheel rubbed against something? The marks look like the wheel was turning and rubbed up against something.
No idea.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:00 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would call other dealers in the area. Not just Porsche dealers. There is 5 plus companies in my area alone that do wheel repair. Some take bad damage to a shop and straighten, repowder coat or repaint, while most of the time they do the repair without even removing the wheel from the car. YouTube it. I have even done wheel repair on a cheap cars myself. Something like yours would take less then 30 mins. Sand it down. Scuff the area, clean it, prep, and paint. I would try to keep the repair small. I personally would go that route over someone stripping the whole wheel. Also do not powder coated these wheels. If the company uses too much heat during the baking time it could weaken the metal.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:13 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

My vote is for a new wheel. It can be repaired but you'll always be able to tell up close, no way it'll be like new.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:19 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

IMO at least thankfully the shop has admitted fault/responsibility to start

I personally would look into getting the wheel refinished first before starting the headache of trying to get a full new wheel replacement, the chips IMO look quite minor and unfortunately accidents happen out of our control sometimes

All 4 wheels on my Tesla Model X have taken a massive beating with tons of curb rash from family members who aren't as careful as I am and I had a local guy refinish them, they look as good and as new as the day the car was delivered
Old 06-22-2018, 03:27 PM
redgt3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

given its a new car, I'd say they need to get you a new wheel.
AS said above, they can retain the old wheel, and sell - these things still command a high price on the used market.
(I've been looking ...)

However; I managed to scrape my wheel (reactive avoidance of a cat !) - nothing serious, very minor scrape - but I have wheel insurance. The wheel was removed by the dealer and a 3rd party painted it, off the car. I honestly cannot tell which wheel it is. it really is perfect. (and yes, they are painted, not powered coated). This was several years ago, and it is still perfect (a few additional track day stonechips however
Old 06-23-2018, 02:40 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I had two of my wheels done by a local guy in Santa Clara ... Honestly they came out great email me and I'll give you the low down ed@pencom.com ( your wheel looks like black satin ? correct Mine was Platinum Satin finish which I think is harder to match. He did it with glasurit paint ... I am pretty picky, and I am very happy how they came out ( and he didn't have to paint the whole wheel )
Regards
Ed
Old 06-23-2018, 03:11 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Refinished wheels rarely match and never match long term. It may look “perfect” but over time it will fade at a different rate than a factory painted wheel and will become obvious. Just like repaints on cars.

I would touch it up or replace, but I would lean heavily toward a quick touch up to get it 99% perfect as even one new wheel may be a different paint batch than the other three.

The most cost effective way if you are going to replace is to sell your full set (disclosing the nick) and order a full set from suncoast. People looking for track wheels won’t care about the nick and the sale value of a near new set of wheels is high.

Quick Reply: Wheel Repair?