991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have had it- "no mas"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018 | 01:12 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world. Put snow tires on your Gt3, or get a turbo, and do the same. I LOVE it here. The rest of this thread sounds like a bunch of whiners
Old 04-08-2018 | 02:13 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by SJJ28
Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world. Put snow tires on your Gt3, or get a turbo, and do the same. I LOVE it here. The rest of this thread sounds like a bunch of whiners
Unless you want to actually turn a corner with your car...
Old 04-08-2018 | 04:27 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Unless you want to actually turn a corner with your car...
Not sure if that's a dig against the handling of the turbo, the lessened handling of snow tires, or the perception that there are no good roads near Chicago. Really doesn't matter as they're all very arguable points. I have an absolute blast all winter long here, and seldom find myself wanting for any of the above.
Old 04-08-2018 | 04:49 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

And what did you expect after your response of 'whining?
Old 04-08-2018 | 05:37 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Lol! So sensitive!
I happen to know Jimmy and live only a few miles from him.

Last edited by SJJ28; 04-08-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2018 | 07:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Not sure if that's a dig against the handling of the turbo, the lessened handling of snow tires, or the perception that there are no good roads near Chicago. Really doesn't matter as they're all very arguable points. I have an absolute blast all winter long here, and seldom find myself wanting for any of the above.
It was a good-nature's dig at the lack of turns in that entire state and a few surrounding ones. But look at this way.. at least you're not in Indiana.
Old 04-08-2018 | 08:04 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It was a good-nature's dig at the lack of turns in that entire state and a few surrounding ones. But look at this way.. at least you're not in Indiana.
No kidding!!!, But where Jimmy and I are located, it's less than 30 min to some killer driving roads in the Kettle Moraine area of Southern Wisconsin

Last edited by SJJ28; 04-08-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2018 | 03:14 AM
Ahilaly
Rennlist Member

If your looking to be in Southern CA I can help out with storage. I have an empty 25k sqft commercial space I am thinking of converting into secured climate controlled storage. I can also get you hooked up with the right track days, not to mention here in LA there are plenty of great roads to drive. Send me a PM if I can help. Best of luck.
Old 04-09-2018 | 09:34 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

I take back everything I've said. Get out of this hell hole!! Name:  photo140.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  2.54 MB

I'm kidding, but it's getting a little old!
Old 04-09-2018 | 12:21 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Jimmy,

I wish I had responded to your thread earlier - I was traveling over the weekend (more on that later).

I moved from Atlanta to Chicago in late 2015 for a job/promotion; also in 2015, my 997.1 GT3 was hit by a dumbass teenager - totaling the car - and I bought a like-new 2015 GT3 from a guy on here.

So here I am unexpectedly moving to Chicago - River North in particular - with an essentially brand new GT3... I was determined to keep the car as a stubborn 26 year old. And also determined to keep it in Atlanta most of the year.

The mechanics and details of how I went about keeping the car in Atlanta aren't really important - suffice to say most of my best friends there are car guys with spare garage spaces! At least one is a member here, as well.

I'm glad I did so because:

I don't have to worry about the car during winter - starting it, battery life, oil weight, winter tires, salt, etc.

There's very limited car culture in Chicago, especially compared to other sizable cities across the country; I had a similar conversation with the President of Weathertech in Phoenix on Saturday (we were both escaping Chicago weather - he is on the Copperstate 1000 Rally and I was at the Indycar race) and he is in complete agreement ... this makes it harder to meet people and be sociable surrounding the hobby in my experience

I can fly to Atlanta any weekend, pick up the car, and go play with it in the North Georgia mountains (where I grew up); I need a car when I'm in Atlanta / Georgia, but having one in downtown Chicago is just a nuisance

I don't have to worry about shipping the car; it's close enough to drive it to Chicago in spring and back in the fall
Old 04-09-2018 | 02:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

No kidding!!!, But where Jimmy and I are located, it's less than 30 min to some killer driving roads in the Kettle Moraine area of Southern Wisconsin
It's all in good fun and your Turbo looks good and sure must be fun. That is what is great about the versatility of the Turbo

Let me know when you want to shoot up to those roads one weekend because would love to find some good roads only a short distance away.
Old 04-09-2018 | 03:00 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Guest89
Jimmy,

I wish I had responded to your thread earlier - I was traveling over the weekend (more on that later).

I moved from Atlanta to Chicago in late 2015 for a job/promotion; also in 2015, my 997.1 GT3 was hit by a dumbass teenager - totaling the car - and I bought a like-new 2015 GT3 from a guy on here.

So here I am unexpectedly moving to Chicago - River North in particular - with an essentially brand new GT3... I was determined to keep the car as a stubborn 26 year old. And also determined to keep it in Atlanta most of the year.

The mechanics and details of how I went about keeping the car in Atlanta aren't really important - suffice to say most of my best friends there are car guys with spare garage spaces! At least one is a member here, as well.

I'm glad I did so because:

I don't have to worry about the car during winter - starting it, battery life, oil weight, winter tires, salt, etc.

There's very limited car culture in Chicago, especially compared to other sizable cities across the country; I had a similar conversation with the President of Weathertech in Phoenix on Saturday (we were both escaping Chicago weather - he is on the Copperstate 1000 Rally and I was at the Indycar race) and he is in complete agreement ... this makes it harder to meet people and be sociable surrounding the hobby in my experience

I can fly to Atlanta any weekend, pick up the car, and go play with it in the North Georgia mountains (where I grew up); I need a car when I'm in Atlanta / Georgia, but having one in downtown Chicago is just a nuisance

I don't have to worry about shipping the car; it's close enough to drive it to Chicago in spring and back in the fall
I agree that Chicago might not have one of the greatest car scenes in the world, but if you look around there are plenty of shows and car related events. Cars and coffee, supercar Saturdays, Iron Gate, The Authobahn Country Club, etc. I agree having a car in the city might suck, but once you're in the burbs there is plenty of things to do.
Old 04-09-2018 | 03:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chicago Mike
I agree that Chicago might not have one of the greatest car scenes in the world, but if you look around there are plenty of shows and car related events. Cars and coffee, supercar Saturdays, Iron Gate, The Authobahn Country Club, etc. I agree having a car in the city might suck, but once you're in the burbs there is plenty of things to do.
No doubt but it was the Winters here I was complaining about which is a minimum 5 months
Old 04-09-2018 | 03:50 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

I've been in Chicagoland for 9 months and haven't found the fun roads yet...

Although it isn't much worse than living near NYC, where I grew up.

Sheesh...I've maintained my license to practice in Cali should I want to move out there one day, but I'm kinda surprised by some of the negativity in the posts above. I thought Cali was the place to be!
Old 04-09-2018 | 05:24 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chicago Mike
I'll go a bit farther and say that I think Chicago has the probably the WORST car culture of any major US city. There simply is none of which to speak.

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I've been in Chicagoland for 9 months and haven't found the fun roads yet...

Although it isn't much worse than living near NYC, where I grew up.

Sheesh...I've maintained my license to practice in Cali should I want to move out there one day, but I'm kinda surprised by some of the negativity in the posts above. I thought Cali was the place to be!
There really aren't any fun roads of which to speak; the Kettle Moraine around Road America is somewhat interesting, but it's a poor substitute for an actual fun road.

Quick Reply: I have had it- "no mas"